Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is hardly a "debate"....I was just humoring your manly talk.

In terms of your comments about California, they just aren't accurate. The middle-class hasn't left California, it hasn't declined in California, etc...... Furthermore the real estate prices seen in areas like San Fransisco are the natural result of a free market property system...

The San Fransisco case is actually interesting, over 100 years ago Henry George wrote "Progress and Poverty" and much motivation for the book came from him moving from NYC to San Fransisco...where at that time real estate in NYC's urban core was rather expensive but San Fransisco was pretty much universally cheap. He wondered why... Regardless, his explication of matters explains what has happened in California over the last 4~5 decades rather well.

People that complain about the real estate costs in California are really complaining about free market property systems. And.....everyone thought communism was dead!
Man! Wikipedia summaries are the greatest, aren't they?! A guy can find almost anything and sound like he's read a library full of eclectic, professorial stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Oh yes....I'm so very ignorant of matters. Look, I realize that religious folks don't think of their religions as myths and that is why I never talk about religion. But usually its safe to refer to ancient beliefs as "mythology".....but I forget that westerners have taken up an interest in eastern mythologies and do indeed take it "seriously". Gotta remember that next time...
I'm not religious and neither ayurvedic medicine nor Chinese medicine (two extremely refined medical / healing paradigms) have anything to do with "religion".
You know, i've never really read your posts or most responses to them as they tend to be way too lengthy for my eyes but i have picked up from a couple of nullgeo's replies to you and about you that you often speak with authority when you are not well informed.
These last two exchanges with you confirm that.
A key aspect in increasing knowledge and awareness is to know that you don't know when you don't know.
ya know?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Dear: the assessment was made based on your support for the issue, not with any accusation of consumption ... and as for the coffee footnote, my profilers can only work with available information ... and they tell me that their observation of your morning commentaries to people on the forum are often consistent with caffeine deprivation ... if you would be more specific in the future, they could identify your dependencies with greater precision.
a lot of other deprivations but not caffeine.
it's o.k. ... my response to your profile of me was not a jab.
conveying sentiments accurately and skilfully via on-line "relating" is not always easy ... lot's of room for misinterpretation.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
A key aspect in increasing knowledge and awareness is to know that you don't know when you don't know.
ya know?
No...I don't know....after all knowing that you don't know requires that you know...which is precluding by not knowing.

But you're right...ancient Indian and Chinese medicine is serious stuff and in no way attached to religious belief. How could I be so stupid? Sometimes I wonder if I'm retarded ya know? That's what they said when I got a 80 on my IQ test anyways....

Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Man! Wikipedia summaries are the greatest, aren't they?! A guy can find almost anything and sound like he's read a library full of eclectic, professorial stuff!
Wikipedia is pretty keen....but so is the book "Progress and Poverty" Now...I know you may be allergic to knowledge, but hey, maybe you could read it one day? Its pretty cheap on amazon!

And you little bugger you...when you said you were "not in the mood for me" you were fibbin'....weren't ya?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
This is hardly a "debate"....I was just humoring your manly talk.

In terms of your comments about California, they just aren't accurate. The middle-class hasn't left California, it hasn't declined in California, etc...... Furthermore the real estate prices seen in areas like San Fransisco are the natural result of a free market property system...

The San Fransisco case is actually interesting, over 100 years ago Henry George wrote "Progress and Poverty" and much motivation for the book came from him moving from NYC to San Fransisco...where at that time real estate in NYC's urban core was rather expensive but San Fransisco was pretty much universally cheap. He wondered why... Regardless, his explication of matters explains what has happened in California over the last 4~5 decades rather well.

People that complain about the real estate costs in California are really complaining about free market property systems. And.....everyone thought communism was dead!
I never said the middle class left California... So "in terms of your comments about what I said, they just are not accurate"....

I feel the middle class is in decline, as the statistics show an increasing concentration of wealth in the top 10%... Hence the decline of the fiscal well being of the middle class, the slow demise of net worth....

Yes I agree to an extent about real estate costs... But it all depends on how one defines "free market"... I do not think the folks who feel, community and state manipulation via zoning and building code ordinances are communists.... Quite the opposite in fact....

A free market would not have artificial restrictions placed on it as much of coastal California has..... With out those restrictions I suspect housing costs would plummet....

Nullgeo,
Put me down for no coffee either... Orange Pekoe in the am please..

Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
No...I don't know....after all knowing that you don't know requires that you know...which is precluding by not knowing.

But you're right...ancient Indian and Chinese medicine is serious stuff and in no way attached to religious belief. How could I be so stupid? Sometimes I wonder if I'm retarded ya know? That's what they said when I got a 80 on my IQ test anyways....
No they didn't, retarded is an IQ of 70 or less, 80 is just Republican.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I feel the middle class is in decline, as the statistics show an increasing concentration of wealth in the top 10%... Hence the decline of the fiscal well being of the middle class, the slow demise of net worth....
Yes, I know you feel that way, but the evidence doesn't demonstrate it. An increase in the concentration of wealth doesn't preclude the growth of the middle-class....so I'm not sure why you keep mentioning that measure.

Quote:
I do not think the folks who feel, community and state manipulation via zoning and building code ordinances are communists.... Quite the opposite in fact....
No, but none of that explains the real estate costs in California. As far as state policy is concerned the two biggest issues that distort the real estate market are the existence and placement of state park land and prop 13. Are there many people in the bay area suggesting we should cut down the redwoods, etc to build homes? That would, at least temporarily, reduce real estate costs. But what would happen after the forests got built out? Vertical growth would continue and prices would continue to appreciate.

Quote:
A free market would not have artificial restrictions placed on it as much of coastal California has.....
Artificial in what sense? Are all matters of government with respect to real estate artificial?

Also, free market doesn't mean "free from any government regulation", in fact many markets can't even exist without government regulation.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No they didn't, retarded is an IQ of 70 or less, 80 is just Republican.
Awww...thanks. Clearly you're a man that is familiar with retardation.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
a lot of other deprivations but not caffeine.
it's o.k. ... my response to your profile of me was not a jab.
conveying sentiments accurately and skilfully via on-line "relating" is not always easy ... lot's of room for misinterpretation.
So, my little side on-line profiling business venture still has potential?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California