Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I know, that's why I said I'm not an expert and that's why I put "hoping, really" in parentheses. The last three summers have been mostly cool, so I think we're about due for a "normal" summer. One thing that our recent cool summers have had in common is that May/June were especially cooler than normal and there were intermittent rainy days which isn't very typical for those months.

We've had some really warm days this month, but now we're also experiencing some cool days right now, so who knows...

Please be warm, Summer, please, please. Summer isn't supposed to be cold!
Guess what, this is the forecast for Friday for Northern and Central CA:

EARLY INDICATIONS SHOW THAT THIS SYSTEM IS UNSEASONABLY COLD WITH LOW 850 AND 500 MB TEMPERATURES. THE LATEST 12Z NAM GENERATE SCATTERED SHOWERS THROUGH THE DAY FRIDAY. CONVECTIVE PARAMETERS ALSO SHOW THAT SOME THUNDER MAY BE POSSIBLE GIVEN THE COLD AIR ALOFT AND UNSTABLE AIRMASS. CURRENT FORECAST HAS SHOWER AND CONVECTION MENTIONED FOR FRIDAY AND FRIDAY EVENING. WILL FINE TUNE THIS...BUT DO NOT FORESEE A LOT OF CHANGE IN THE CURRENT FORECAST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
The summers in the monterey peninsula (incl salinas) & the bay area are quite nice & often cool & foggy. The nights are comfortable & you dont sweat like you do in in many other states. Its currently 76 here with a high of 57 & rain predicted for fri. Overnight lows are in the 50s with 43 predicted for fri night. This will be a nice change from a warm may so far. I do remember rain & cold weather on some memorial day weekends but thats rare & wont happen this year.

Last edited by steel7; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:03 PM

It sure was hot today (100 degrees) & its only june. June gloom has not hit yucaipa so far this month.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 AM

611 posts, read 1,601,213 times
May Gray and June gloom have definitely been lacking this year in Los Angeles compared to the last few years. Our past few summers have been great with milder than usual temperatures and I hope it stays that way this year as well..

Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
May Gray and June gloom have definitely been lacking this year in Los Angeles compared to the last few years. Our past few summers have been great with milder than usual temperatures and I hope it stays that way this year as well..
I hope you're right but i kinda doubt it. I havent used my evaporative cooler yet but it sure has been warm inside (90 degrees). Last yr i started using it in mid aug (used 1 x in july but leaked) & the yr before was mid july. The 1/2 hp motor is running at 1/2 the power on low & high in the daytime when its warm to hot. Hopefully it gets me through the summer & i always shut it down in early oct.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
San Diego would be very much to your liking. After about easter the nights are no longer cold and after July 4th, the remain warm all night even at the beaches it isn't too bad. Personally, I wouldn't care if it were ever hot again.
As there's discussion her about unusually cool summers in the past 2 to 3 years, though, don't forget about the record-breaking July in San Diego in 2010, when the average high temperature at Lindbergh Field for the month was only 65 F and there were only two sunny days all month. It was consistently socked in with marine layer. The same happened on the coast in LA, prompting a New York Times article about the missing summer in SoCal. So the past few years have been weird throughout the state.

I've been in the Bay Area for the past month, and so far, except for one or two cool bayside days, it's been absolutely perfect. Inland areas have been much warmer overall than recent summers, but I do see a massive cooldown in the forecast, so who knows which end of the spectrum is the fluke!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
As there's discussion her about unusually cool summers in the past 2 to 3 years, though, don't forget about the record-breaking July in San Diego in 2010, when the average high temperature at Lindbergh Field for the month was only 65 F and there were only two sunny days all month. It was consistently socked in with marine layer. The same happened on the coast in LA, prompting a New York Times article about the missing summer in SoCal. So the past few years have been weird throughout the state.

I've been in the Bay Area for the past month, and so far, except for one or two cool bayside days, it's been absolutely perfect. Inland areas have been much warmer overall than recent summers, but I do see a massive cooldown in the forecast, so who knows which end of the spectrum is the fluke!
I remember summer 2010 in SD. I love it. I moved to Chula Vista where is was cool but not a cloudy as Lindberg even though it's close to the water. That same summer it was even cooler in the Bay Area and rained I believe.

Lately it's been rather hot here in Oakland while SD has been pleasant. Just my luck.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
We are already pulling out of June gloom. The Sport boats are starting to catch good numbers of pelagics just to the South as the waters are warming up nicely. I believe we gots ourselves a hot one folks! Awesome!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We are already pulling out of June gloom. The Sport boats are starting to catch good numbers of pelagics just to the South as the waters are warming up nicely. I believe we gots ourselves a hot one folks! Awesome!
You may be right. Its 90 degrees here today. UGH !

Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 AM

June gloom did not happen in yucaipa this year. July fry is up & i bet its a scorcher. It was 98 yesterday the last day of june. It was 90 inside my home. I havent used my cooler since late last sept. Im hoping to put it off as long as possible. I need 4 pads & i have to seal the leaking pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California