Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple77 View Post

All of those places meet the criteria of safety and good schools. Prior to going extensive travel in a limited vocation time I'd like to narrow the choices with the focus on two above mentioned criteria (single professional and no racism). Any suggestions?
The "single professionals" is the hard part. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you if they tend to be in one area. (I wouldn't expect it.) Really, the place I would look is eharmony. That's where I found mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 20,083 times
Derek,
Thank you very much!! It is very helpful information!

I would appreciate if other people who are familiar with other locations can contribute in more details.
Any input would be very helpful!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 AM

espetially regarding the impression re accptance of local people to cultural diversity

Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Sprecken sie Deutsch?

Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Sprecken sie Deutsch?
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM

no

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
espetially regarding the impression re accptance of local people to cultural diversity
Despite our state and federal government encouraging racism (by identifying us, affirmative action, quotas, etc) I think you will find most coastal Californian's won't think you are different than them just because you originated elsewhere. Don't worry about your accent or cultural diversity one bit. People will probably be interested in yours just as much as you are interested in theirs.

Just because you arrived in California last, doesn't give you any fewer rights/privileges than people born here. We are all on the same footing.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
Hello friends,
I am a single mom of pre-teen age child, physician, considering relocation. I will rent. What place in California would you recommend (except Bay Area/SF, LA and San Diego)? I currently live in a small town in California, but looking for a new place in Northern (preferably) or Southern California.

Criteria of my perfect place in order of importance:
1. safe place with friendly people
2. good schools- public or private
3. many single professionals - would like to have access to where I can meet my soulmate
4. moderate climate- no or minimal snow/fog/rain/humidity. Some heat (like Sacramento) is ok.
5. I am white but came originally from other country (years ago) and still speak with an accent, so prefer areas with some diversity and where people are open-minded and no racism.
6. community size 50K-1mln. Not rural.
7. less smog/polution (have asthma)
8. not too much traffic
9. preferably to have a college or University in town or nearby (students usually help me with babysitting if I need to work late evening or night hours)

Things I am not concerned much about are: nightlife, being able to ride bike, outdoors, fancy shopping/restaurants, beaches (I love all of this but can live without).

So far I am considering Silicon Valley and Rooseville/Sacramento. Anything else?

Would greatly appreciate you advise!
Irvine? It meets most of your criteria except the low pollution/low traffic requirement.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 AM

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions, all ideas are greatly appreciated!

Ndfmnlf, I didn't think about Irvine previously, thank you!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Hello friends,
I am a single mom of pre-teen age child, physician, considering relocation. I will rent. What place in California would you recommend (except Bay Area/SF, LA and San Diego)? I currently live in a small town in California, but looking for a new place in Northern (preferably) or Southern California.

Criteria of my perfect place in order of importance:
1. safe place with friendly people
2. good schools- public or private
3. many single professionals - would like to have access to where I can meet my soulmate
4. moderate climate- no or minimal snow/fog/rain/humidity. Some heat (like Sacramento) is ok.
5. I am white but came originally from other country (years ago) and still speak with an accent, so prefer areas with some diversity and where people are open-minded and no racism.
6. community size 50K-1mln. Not rural.
7. less smog/polution (have asthma)
8. not too much traffic
9. preferably to have a college or University in town or nearby (students usually help me with babysitting if I need to work late evening or night hours)

Things I am not concerned much about are: nightlife, being able to ride bike, outdoors, fancy shopping/restaurants, beaches (I love all of this but can live without).

So far I am considering Silicon Valley and Rooseville/Sacramento. Anything else?

Would greatly appreciate you advise!
It looks like you have been steered away from Roseville/Sacramento, but I think you should reconsider all of the communities in the greater Sacramento region. It meets all of your top 5 criteria & more. We are a very diverse community. Many different groups of immigrants have come to Sacramento through the years. You didn't mention which country you are from, but we've got just about all cultures/countries represented here.

I'm sure you've heard of UC Davis Medical Center/School...lots of opportunities & community there. You could work at the medical center, the school or any of their satellite clinics. Welcome to UC Davis Health System
Plus, there are 4 other hospital/clinic organizations - Sutter Medical Foundation, Kaiser and Mercy/Dignity Health Systems.

The temperature is not that bad, I find it to be milder than the central valley. Yes, it does get hot in the summer, but we do have the delta breeze, so it does cool down at night which is great. I have asthma also, and it's a non-issue now that I've moved out to the suburbs. The inner city has wonderful tree coverage, but it's not too great for those with allergies.

As for colleges, not only do we have UCD out in Davis, but we've got Sac State, and a couple of junior colleges in Roseville, Sacramento & Folsom....and a whole host of trade schools.

No ocean here, but we've got the American River, Folsom Lake & we are really close to Tahoe & points beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California