Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
They are just lucky Leonard. One might hit at any time. Then me and others like me pack up and head for the coast if they get the call. Roll of the dice. /shrug
Don't head for the coast in CA, when the biog one hits, you will be ... under water and Fresno would be on the coast.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Do you get a lot of snow or other ugly storms? Living in California forever, anything past Colorado gets clumped together as "back east." And back east equals snow.
Not normally. This Winter we've not had any that stuck to the ground more than a few hours. Think of a light dusting of powdered suga and then it melts away as the sun comes out. You get a lot more snow in the Southern California mountains. We've had nothing this year like I saw during the Dorner incident at Big Bear. It's generally 40s and 50s and sunny most of the Winter. I bike all year round.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Don't head for the coast in CA, when the biog one hits, you will be ... under water and Fresno would be on the coast.
I hope to be on the coast. I may have to head for the hills though.

I felt the Coalinga shake here, and my dad made me work some of those insurance claims with him on weekends, lol. I held the end of the measuring tape.

I've already promised someone in SF that I'd be over to dig em out if they aren't underwater...

Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times
Quote:
I hope to be on the coast. I may have to head for the hills though.

I felt the Coalinga shake here, and my dad made me work some of those insurance claims with him on weekends, lol. I held the end of the measuring tape.

I've already promised someone in SF that I'd be over to dig em out if they aren't underwater...
I was living in the San Fernando Valley when the big one hit there. Hospital wing dropped and I was 20 miles from the epicenter. Watched to see if the dam at the north end of the valley would let go. A friend was driving to work and over passes in front and behind him dropped. A bit scary.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It is a great city full of people from all over the world which creates a very interesting, vibrant cosmopolitan city.

Houston is a world class city full of great people from all walks of life and has a lot to offer to anyone who is interested.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Bulldog was kind enough to provide a link to a list of all states Californians emmigrate to, ranked by order. The top five are:
1. Texas
2. Arizona
3. Nevada
4. Oregon
5. Washington
Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

Any of those grab you as places to flee to? Or do places like Tennessee get you better? How about Montana or North Dakota? We read a lot on this forum about Californians "fleeing" the state. If you are a Californian thinking of fleeing, what do any of these other states offer you for improvement?
Where one might decide to locate should depend on interests, maybe politcal views, financual needs and overall life style. Texas has a lot to offer. You mention Tenn, it is a beautiful state and like Texas has no state income tax, but other taxes off set this and can be high, depending on your income level. Particularly property taxes. whether could be an issue for some.
Of course AR is not on that list, but we do have several major cooporations headquartered here and NM is another good state, with great weather, 4 seasons and low COL. NM is left of center politicallhy and there many things we did not like about the state, but many things we did. Wash and Or are more liberal, both very pretty and if people can live with a lot of rain, they are states to consider. Of course NV and AZ weather would stop me from chosing either state. I did notice 4 ofror the 5 states mentioned border CA.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 02-22-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM

I describe Fresno to Leonard at every opportunity but he isn't so kind as to provide any links to TN. Not even to the fort he visited...

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I like crows but can't stand that call of theirs. I wish I could hand feed them. They are all over my neighborhood. I think they are very interesting creatures. There is one that sits outside of our office building for hours trying to interact with itself in the mirrored glass windows. It also makes the sound of a cell phone ringing when people leave the building. It is so funny to watch him.
I may have to break my own rules and explain the joke... Nahhh.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where you decide to locate should depend on your interests, maybe your politcal views, your financual needs and your overall life style. Texas has a lot to offer. You mention Tenn, it is a beautiful state and lie Texas has no state income tax, but other taxes off set this and can be high, depending on your income level. Particularly property taxes. What are you thinking of, when it comes to weathe? Can you cope with high humidity, do you want 4 seasons, are you ready for cold winters?

Of course AR is not on that list, but we do have several major cooporations headquartered here and NM is another good state, with great weather, 4 seasons and low COL. NM is left of centerr politicallhy and there many things we did not like about the state, but many things we did. Wash and Or are more liberal, both very pretty and if you can live with a lot of rain, you may want to consider them. NV is still suffering from the recession and the weather would drive me up the wall, the same with AZ. You can see every state has a positive and a negative to offer. Examine what you want, then do some research..

Nita
Tenn is so beautiful especially in the mountains during Autumn. We used to drive from Houston to KY when I was young and it was so beautful driving through Tenn! Click on the photo

Attachment 107900

Last edited by TVC15; 02-27-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
I may have to break my own rules and explain the joke... Nahhh.
Duuude... Wow man that's sooo deep...

-----------------------------------------------------------

All I know is despite what all the doom and gloom folks on CD say... Desirable areas of California real estate prices are sky rocketing.... What? Up 30% in the past few months?

Rebound city.. Some one has money and it ain't all the "welfare folks"

Honestly this gets old... My $ is on over 90% of the doom and gloom gotta leave California folks vote Republican.. Plain and simple...
MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: discussing forum moderation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California