Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
Sacramento is actually a pretty good bang for the buck, though it's definitely not SLO or Sonoma County. I used to spend summers up there with family when I was growing up. The northeastern suburbs are doable. Portland is much closer to the ocean though. If you're in the western suburbs of Portland it can be just over a one hour drive. The eastern suburbs of Sac to the Ocean is over two hour trip.
Curious, why would you compare Portland's closest side to the ocean with Sacramento's farthest side to the ocean?

From Downtown Sacramento I can be in the city(SF) in 1hr, 15min, light traffic times. From Sacramento's western burbs like Davis-Vacaville, I can be on the coast in 45mins to 1hr.

From my home to my favorite surfing spot, Pacifica, 1hr, 40mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Curious, why would you compare Portland's closest side to the ocean with Sacramento's farthest side to the ocean?

From Downtown Sacramento I can be in the city(SF) in 1hr, 15min, light traffic times. From Sacramento's western burbs like Davis-Vacaville, I can be on the coast in 45mins to 1hr.

From my home to my favorite surfing spot, Pacifica, 1hr, 40mins.
Google maps says Sacramento to Pacifica is 101 miles. If you are going 65 miles, that's about 1hr, 45min trip. I said east Sac because those are the places I would consider living in if I moved to Sac. Unless there are some great things about West Sac that you'd like to share.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
Quote:
Google maps says Sacramento to Pacifica is 101 miles. If you are going 65 miles, that's about 1hr, 45min trip. I said east Sac because those are the places I would consider living in if I moved to Sac. Unless there are some great things about West Sac that you'd like to share.
There is whole new section in West Sacramento under 10yrs old along the Sacramento River and south from the center of West Sac. You seem to be judging West Sac by the worst part of West Capitol Ave.

There are a lot of places on the West side of the SAC Metro that are very nice. Everything on the west side of I-5 in Sacramento like Land Park, South Land Park, Pocket Area, Greenhaven down to Elk Grove which are leafy green, middle to upper middle class attractive areas. Davis, Woodland and Vacaville are all on the Western side of the SAC Metro -- all nice places anywhere from 25-50 milles closer to the Coast than Roseville-Rocklin area.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
There is whole new section in West Sacramento under 10yrs old along the Sacramento River and south from the center of West Sac. You seem to be judging West Sac by the worst part of West Capitol Ave.

There are a lot of places on the West side of the SAC Metro that are very nice. Everything on the west side of I-5 in Sacramento like Land Park, South Land Park, Pocket Area, Greenhaven down to Elk Grove which are leafy green, middle to upper middle class attractive areas. Davis, Woodland and Vacaville are all on the Western side of the SAC Metro -- all nice places anywhere from 25-50 milles closer to the Coast than Roseville-Rocklin area.
Judging west Sac? I don't know much about it, it was a genuine question. Pocket and Green Haven is South Sacramento. Pocket is nice but you drive a mile east and cross over the 5 and you're in the 'hood. Are these nice new areas of west sac very close to bad areas?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Have to disagree. I lived just east of I5 and if doesn't become "hood" until you're a lot closer to Florin Mall. The neighborhood called Cabrillo Park is perfectly safe, neighbors are mostly State or Postal employees or retirees. The houses are a bit tracty but you can't beat the location. I was about three blocks from the I5 and close to three shopping centers. When realtors are trying to sell houses in the area it becomes "South Land Park".

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Oregon and Washington are gorgeous places as long as you can deal with more grey skies, colder water, and rain throughout the year. We almost moved to the Portland area. But my wife couldn't handle the weather or distance from extended family in CA.
Hey MtsSurfer, if being far away from family wasn't an issue, would you rather live in the IE, Sacramento area or Portland?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Hey MtsSurfer, if being far away from family wasn't an issue, would you rather live in the IE, Sacramento area or Portland?
Portland hands down.

I personally can't stand the IE. I did my undergrad there at Loma Linda U. and it is nasty hot, not to mention sickeningly smoggy. Sacramento would be ok I guess as a second option. I'd probably want to be in the foothills also where its greener and not so flat. The overall smog situation in the Central Valley is a major concern as my wife has allergies and my middle child has slight asthma. Excess exposure to particulate pollution can really effect respiratory and cardiovascular diseases. There are a number of studies confirming this. Some people are less effected than others. But it is still a valid health concern.

The other problem is I like to run, hike, bike and do other outdoor sports year round. When it's that hot like it is now in the CV or IE I can't function in it. I'd rather have 50s/60s than 90s/100s any day of the week. But that is just me. I don't even mind the rain as it keeps everything green and the air clean. Hiking in light rain in the Gorge is refreshing. Surfing in the rain, well you're wet anyway so who cares?

If proximity to family wasn't a concern I would seriously consider a move to the PNW or the Big Island. Either would be a fun adventure and good overall experience I think. But the IE or CV, for me, not so much.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-03-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM

/\ My thoughts exactly. Those three areas have about the same average price per square footage for housing.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,766,672 times
Typically, WA or OR are cheap in the west coast. As MtnSurfer mentioned, the more rural coastal areas will be cheaper like Eureka and that area. Lompoc, Nipomo, Arroyo Grande, and Guadalupe are some in the Central Coast.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could afford some of Ventura County like Oxnard, and most of Humboldt County like Ferndale. They are both on the coast.
Oceanside, Oxnard, Santa Maria, and San Luis Obispo would all fit the bill but all of them are going to have their pluses and minuses and some of those minuses are pretty big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California