Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I get tired of sweeping generalizations about hundreds of millions of people based solely on when they were born, no matter when they were born.
Just because you were born before they started keeping records...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Or maybe you're just clueless like most of humanity has always been ... maybe it just doesn't have a damn thing to do with "Boomers", "GenX", "Millenials", etc. ... or even the "Greatest Generation" ... maybe every generation just deals with what's on its plate. So sorry to hear you're suffering. So happy I never had to since having it all handed to me ...
yawn

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, keep in mind that the average boomer has something like $25-50k saved for retirement and they're around 60 years old. You millenials may be struggling in a mountain of debt, but at least you have time on your side.
Yes, and we have the lessons from the Boomers on what not to do. Hopefully we are paying attention.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
yawn
Yeah. So much suffering and experience behind that yawn ... breaks my heart.
And the wisdom behind all your posts ... well, it's just ... well, I don't know how to put it ... just so .... umm ...

Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, keep in mind that the average boomer has something like $25-50k saved for retirement and they're around 60 years old. You millenials may be struggling in a mountain of debt, but at least you have time on your side.
They can always dump the million dollar houses that cost them $100k back in the day, and move to a cheaper part of the country for retirement.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I get tired of sweeping generalizations about hundreds of millions of people based solely on when they were born, no matter when they were born.
Agreed. As if people born in 1947 have anything in common with those born in 1963, but they have to, right? Because they're all BABY BOOMERS....and they're all selfish, they all had it easy, and the job market for all of them was better than the next generation's, and....

Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, this happens every time there's a recession. I remember reading articles in the 80's about school janitors with PhD's, and I know people who went through that in the 70's, as well. This is nothing new.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,437 times
I just want to say that I am identical to all Gen X'ers and that we are all sitting on my porch right now in the Wine Country, listening to jazz, and typing away on this very laptop thinking about how gorgeous California is. That's why this is in the California forum, right?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
As I work my blue collar job four years after graduating *** laude, I look around and see a vast majority of adults in their early 20's working similar type jobs. For Instance, I know one fellow who loads and unloads trucks part time with an MBA, and yes been doing this for over a year. I met another girl working as I security guard after finishing her degree from UCLA. I can't figure out if this is just a Southern California problem with Millennial, or is this a nationwide norm?

I am asking any millennial to answer this simple question "What do you do for work?" Getting information from a forum might not be the best representation of what a generation does for a living, but its a good start. My hypothesis is our generation will have the most difficult time establishing careers and saving for the future. Since I have graduated, I have noticed many companies do not want to train their new hires. Consequently, they are predominantly hiring workers with experience and not necessarily the education.

Interest rates for new college loans also doubled from 3.4% to 6.8% overnight. How will we be able to pay these loans off with no entry level jobs coming out of college. Part time work as a customer service rep, waiter, bell boy, or truck driver don't pay enough for someone to pay off the loans and save for future investments.

Is this the first time in American history when an 18 year old adult might actually be worse off pursuing a college education( financially of course). Professions such as plumbers, HVAC techs, carpenters, and mechanics all make considerably more than telemarketers, customer service reps, and data entry clerks. Most of the millennial I know work in many professions such as the latter. What do you all think? Do the millennials have it the hardest? Is college a waste of time and money? What can be done to help get us back to work and in positions so that we aren't underemployed?

You might have to rough it for a few years, but that's nothing new; your time is coming. It won't be long before the baby boomers begin to retire in droves.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You might have to rough it for a few years, but that's nothing new; your time is coming. It won't be long before the baby boomers begin to retire in droves.
Where is "Droves"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California