Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This guy apparently reads all the uber-right doomsday "the commies are coming" websites.
Many do. Only a select few feel the urge to start threads with them. Guess somebody has to sound the alarm, for...something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
By Michael Snyder, on January 21st, 2014

The article states:

Well, this news is probably a boon for Mexico as it grows a lot of the same produce! It also would help if some of the state and federal EPA rules on use of water were revised. Instead of “saving” some stupid fish somewhere, why not let the scarce water be used to irrigate fields and farms that produce the food Californians need?

Read more @ The Worst Drought In The History Of California Is Happening Right Now

Oh yeah! Forgot! Let's blame Man for all of this. It can't possibly be a natural occurrence that happens in the area on a regular basis. Let's ignore severe droughts in the 1700s and 1800s – okay?
Which history? Anglo history? All recorded history? Geological history?

In any case, there is paleoclimate evidence of droughts that lasted for decades to centuries.

While I would not want to experience something like that, it is possible. The current situation is bad, but in this climate zone, far, far worse is possible.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Checked the thermometer on my patio - 62F at 1AM in the Sacramento Valley in late January. LOL- amazing.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
Quote:
By Michael Snyder, on January 21st, 2014

The article states:

Well, this news is probably a boon for Mexico as it grows a lot of the same produce! It also would help if some of the state and federal EPA rules on use of water were revised. Instead of “saving” some stupid fish somewhere, why not let the scarce water be used to irrigate fields and farms that produce the food Californians need?

Read more @ The Worst Drought In The History Of California Is Happening Right Now

Oh yeah! Forgot! Let's blame Man for all of this. It can't possibly be a natural occurrence that happens in the area on a regular basis. Let's ignore severe droughts in the 1700s and 1800s – okay?
Yes its a terrible drought. However, I do not understand your point here.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
**doing rain dance in Sacramento**

Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
**doing rain dance in Sacramento**
It rained...no, spit for half a minute this morning in Cupertino. You could literally count the drops on the ground, and that was it.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I think the nutty part is how many people I’ve heard back home say the weather is beautiful.

I’m a bit scared for you guys. I think California’s forests are going to burn like a magnesium fire this summer.

The weather sucks in Fargo BTW. I'll trade you some snow for a little warm weather.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Yes its a terrible drought. However, I do not understand your point here.
Well, let me try to put it in perspective.

In geological history, the area currently known as California has always had parts with a fragile ecology. Changes in climate brought about consequences. Drought plus a lightning storm = brush fires. Heavy rains = flooding. And so on.

Prior to the arrival of Europeans, the Indians lived a Stone Age life as little more was needed for survival. However, their existence was based upon day-to-day scavenging. With the build up of current civilization, the ecology is strained and differences that had been minor in the past now have major consequences.

And then Man, for political reasons, tries to put restraints on the natural cycle of life and it results in a number of unexpected crises.

One other observation - California Indians made their shelters out of wattle and mud. They were ideal for living in an earthquake prone region - swayed with the tremors and were easy to rebuild. Firm wooden, sun-dried brick, and concrete structures are far more prone to be destroyed by earthquakes.

We've become so greedy to make money that we tend to ignore what Nature is trying to warn of us. Move in next to a dry river bed - and expect floods when it rains.

That's all I was trying to convey in the OP.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:

And then Man, for political reasons, tries to put restraints on the natural cycle of life and it results in a number of unexpected crises.

That's all I was trying to convey in the OP.
And in the middle of what appears to be a reasonable post you insert this zinger, and yet cite no source for said claim, or what interference creates said unexpected crisis. Therefore, it discredits the entire post. If you're trying to tie this to your previous post about only allowing a certain amount of water to be diverted to not make fish extinct it would seem your point is backwards. Without diverting water to LA, and the central valley for agriculture which is a man made interference there would be no problem. So are you promoting that we kill off natural species before limiting water allotments to LA lawns, and central valley agriculture to assure profits are maintained even with a world wide resource available too easily make up for any shortages? Agriculture is no longer limited to the US.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
So are you promoting that we kill off natural species before limiting water allotments to LA lawns, and central valley agriculture to assure profits are maintained even with a world wide resource available too easily make up for any shortages? Agriculture is no longer limited to the US.
So our trade is this:

for this

Not sure Mr. Limpet or Nemo agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California