Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,661,079 times

Advertisements

Have friends who are talking about moving to southern California which will ultimately be their retirement home. They want to pay outright for a house as they are pushing 60 years old and do not want a mortgage but are concerned about being able to afford socal. They want a 1500-2200 sq ft single story house on .25 acre or more. Prefer a 3 car garage or even an extra detached garage for collectors cars. Need an acceptable amount of space for home office, perhaps 200 sq ft and are willing to build addition if possible on to the right house assuming the realtor can refer contractors to do the work. Would like to live in a suburban environment similar to ft Lauderdale/boca raton fl on the east coast or ft myers/cape coral on the west coast for comparisons. They would like to be in a neighborhood that still has nice trees and landscaping. Would prefer to be in a quiet neighborhood and spend between 350K-450K.

Is it true that the produce in a typical California supermarket outshines the produce in other states? If that's true they would like to be near good food shopping, Asian markets especially but also a good butcher, maybe Trader Joes or Whole Foods. High Speed cable internet is a requirement as they still work from home online and will do so for years to come.

Healthcare is important, would like to be no more than 10 miles from a good hospital if possible. Would prefer a slower environment to a crazy go go go environment. They don't like the cold weather so a moderate environment would be great although is it also true that in California you can drive a few hours and experience snow while driving the same amount in a different direction and experience spring? If so that sounds pretty dang amazing. Are there smaller towns or just suburbs of larger ones? I originate from a small town, population of 2,000 but less than 30 miles to nyc

Where would you choose your working retirement home under these conditions? And why?

Last edited by MrTudo; 02-17-2014 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,026,696 times
Silver City, NM because 450K will buy something nice there.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Is it true that the produce in a typical California supermarket outshines the produce in other states?
Yes

Quote:
cable internet is a requirement.
Pretty much everywhere, can even get FiOS

Quote:
also true that in California you can drive a few hours and experience snow while driving the same amount in a different direction and experience spring?
Yes

Palm Springs area
Santa Paula/Fillmore/Piru
Oxnard/Port Hueneme/Ventura (at top of price point)
Oak View/ Meiners Oaks/possibly Ojai
Simi Valley (at top of price point)/outer fringes of Moorpark

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Thank you! Interesting you would say Santa Paula and Palm Springs. I have clients in Santa Paula but I didn't see much by way of real estate in that price range. Palm Springs on the other hand I did find quite a few in the ( below 500k ) range. The fear is that it's so dry in comparison to life in fla that it won't be enjoyed. But beyond that it's on the list.

We put Temecula on the list but have also found a number of what look like nice houses in Riverside. I was given permission ( In the riverside thread ) a while back to post the addresses so as to solicit feedback on the location but my health once again, interfered with my ability to just sit and type. I hope it's ok with the mods here the same thing only not just riverside but in other places that are being considered? This couple has had great hardships due to the husbands health and this move is very serious. No way they can go back and forth like regular folk without health problems as one of the problems is severe chonic pain from a neck/back problem that is inoperable yet needs to be controlled beacause the guy had a failed open heart surgery and needs to make sure he's not too stressed. The topic was brought up again this weekend as the couple's last choices are to stay where they are and build a great house for less than 400K ( Total ) or move to southern California because it's as close as possible to the weather they seek.

Hope that helps with recommendations.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM

I mentioned Santa Paula/Fillmore/Piru because your friends want a bit of land and room for multiple cars, which is a problem for more in-town real estate. Same for Palm Springs area. Lots of desert land, and lots of retirees.

Dryness? Yep. Even without the drought here, SoCal is a Mediterranean climate, not sub-tropical. Very low humidity. Not very green, more like a gray-green vegetation, which is mostly brown now from lack of rain. If they want lushness, they want Florida.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM

I would add Chatsworth to consideration.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,805,503 times
Quote:
socal. 1500-2200 sq ft
25 acre or more. Prefer a 3 car garage or even an extra detached garage for collectors cars.

Lauderdale/boca raton fl on the east coast or ft myers/cape coral on the west coast for comparisons. They would like to be in a neighborhood that still has nice trees and landscaping. Would prefer to be in a quiet neighborhood and spend between 350K-450K.

Is it true that the produce in a typical California supermarket outshines the produce in other states? If that's true they would like to be near good food shopping, Asian markets especially but also a good butcher, maybe Trader Joes or Whole Foods. High Speed cable internet is a requirement as they still work from home online and will do so for years to come.?
North Torrance, Gardena, Lomita because of price and moderate climate 60-80 year round. In other parts the warmer areas also get colder, if it gets into 100s, chances are it also gets to 40-50 too, the further you are from the ocean, the warmer and colder it will become. It is very close to Asian markets, a hosiptal, and you can buy a small place and add on whatever they want. Being 5 miles from the ocean will keep the temps consistent.

Trader Joe's, Costco, Sams Club, is only 5 minutes away, Whole Foods is more like 15-20, 2x week Farmers Markets at 10-15 minutes away. Highspeed internet is available everywhere. There are two Larger Japanese markets, 1 smaller, and at least two other Asian, I think Korean markets near by.

I don't know how you define quite or the area of FL which you describe. I think most of LA is quite.

2 hours from LA is a ski resort where they'll make snow if there isn't enough, 6 hours from LA is one of the highest points in the lower 48 states. On the way to the Sierra you drive through a desert, in a late spring, you'll from from snow to 80 degrees in about 3 hours, you'll go from needing a heater to using the AC in the car. This is the only area where I encounter small towns, such as Bishop, but the weather will get too hot and too cold for your friends.

There are many areas which fit your criteria, price and lot size will be the biggest factor and not having to drive to work opens up so many options.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM

26,759 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Have friends who are talking about moving to southern California which will ultimately be their retirement home. They want to pay outright for a house. Would prefer to be in a quiet neighborhood and spend between 350K-450K. High Speed cable internet is a requirement....Healthcare is important, would like to be no more than 10 miles from a good hospital if possible.
Did you ever come out to look at these areas, as you've mentioned in your other thread(s)?
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...riverside.html

Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Can now, no we haven't. My health is so bad at times they would have to knock me out and put me on the plane. I have seen a surgeon and he's scheduled a follow up and a procedure for in-office in 4 weeks from now.

However in the meantime he also prescribed a new med has been helping me and because of that and the procedure we think it's likely we can travel within 60-90 days in which case I really want to try it and my wife does too. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. A customer of mine mentioned Santa Paula which is why I posted this in the main California section rather than specifically riverside although I have to tell you that we've seen listings that look pretty good but then pictures don't tell the whole story. I have asked several realtors a specific question "is canyon crest suburban or urban" and they have not answered the question. That's one neighborhood that looked good to us. Parts of Temecula look nice to us but I was concerned that it's a wine based environment and neither one of us drinks any alcohol.

So I am doing my exercises every 2 days in the hopes of getting me well enough to fly and stay for a week. Unfortunately I definitely am not going to be able to fly back and forth, forth and back so this is going to be a very important week where we'll try to see as much as possible and make a decision as to whether or not the dry weather is ok for the neck/back and if so what area to zero in on, perhaps my Wife will have to fly back and make the final decision . My Wife's parents, one of whoms health is not good are in Asia. She hasn't seen them in years. It would be a much easier trip to fly from lax than from fla. That's another motivating reason for the move .

It's information crunch time and then decision time. I see a lot of people criticize California and the costs of living in California. Frankly I can't get enough information and the more I get the more I'm interested in moving there, I just wish I wasn't as bad as I am, ( But I'm Trying! )

So, it's not for friends, it's for my Wife and I.

Thank you for any help.

P.S. I think it's incredible about the 3 hours going from snow to 80 degrees and I would like to experience that while I can.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,472,646 times
Fallbrook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California