Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 04:15 PM

35 posts, read 48,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
San Diego itself is a major metro area, though it trails behind the Bay Area and L.A. in that respect. It's still big, and there's a lot of activity. Big cities like that are going to be busy and crowded in places, but they're also a nice way to see a lot of what California has to offer.

Santa Cruz, while beautiful and popular, is not quite so densely populated. It is a more laid back place, and especially if you're visiting in the fall, it's going to have more of a student dominated feel to it (San Diego also has some large colleges, but the student influence is balanced out by the otherwise large population.

Generally speaking, the further south you go, the warmer the ocean is going to be. Swimming in San Diego is going to be a little bit more fun than around Santa Cruz, but it's not so bad once you get used to it.
So from the sound of things, I would like the Santa Cruz vibe and the San Diego weather. Tough call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,045,733 times
If you want to move to Columbia, why are you posting in the California forum? (Cali is a city in Columbia.)

Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
Late October, Early November, the dead months here in the city. Wanna be back for skiing by December.

How would you compare Santa Cruz to San Diego?
Well, you wanted a smaller town, so that would be Santa Cruz. The water temp (which some consider unswimmable even in summer, but not me) dips in October. It's not the east coast, where waters are warmer. But it's still nice for splashing around, walking, wading. Santa Cruz has a couple of nice indie film houses, and redwood forests to hike in. (HA! Take THAT, San Diego! ) San Diego has a cool zoo. But it's a bit big and sprawly compared to the small towns on the north and central coasts. Bay Area weather in October and November is heaven. Just heaven.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
Hi! I was born and raised in Manhattan's UWS, Mom grew up a couple of blocks from where we live, Dad's from Long Island. Went to a private school in the city where everyone had pretty much the same background as me, went to college on the east coast. Ive never been past Vermont or Virginia (except Florida but that's a given lol). Basically I've never ventured out of my little east coast hole except for the occasional trip to Israel (Im Jewish) or Europe. I feel like I've seen everything there is to see around these parts and for a while now, I've been itching to experience some of this country's other cultures, specifically the West Coast, specifically, California. Im 22, I think its about time. I have 50k saved up and I'm 1/3 owner of my business which allows me to take off whenever. Im looking to chill in a stress free place, with picturesque beaches and slow paced, relaxed atmosphere. I don't want crowds, or scenes or ritz or any of that plastic culture that many people associate with LA. I absolutely hate that, ugh. I just want to rent a little cottage on a quiet beach, learn how to surf, maybe have a fling with a super hot tanned guy and just RELAX. I want to take in this foreign culture that is California. If not now, then when.

I know pretty much nothing about the different towns and cities in Califronia. I know there are a lot of Mexican influenced names and a bunch of cities that start with 'San' or 'Santa'. Beyond that I m clueless. Im looking for a place that has/is:

-non crowded beaches
-pretty, quaint main street, downtown
-laid back, non materialistic
-not too secluded
-luxury without the nouveau riche, in your face swankiness
-not super touristy (ironic i guess)

Note: Most of my friends i grew up with are married, some even have babies. All my post high school friends from college or just around don't have the money to do the things i want to do (and the ones that do have little vacation time) The things i want to do being, get out of my bubble and explore the world. I'm pretty independent, so I don't mind going alone, though it isn't ideal, it can actually be a good thing. I plan on staying a month, but i might cut it in half if i go crazy being solo.

Note 2: I will most likely have my car shipped to wherever i end up staying.
I would suggest Malibu...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
If you want to move to Columbia, why are you posting in the California forum? (Cali is a city in Columbia.)
LMAO. Whew! I nearly fell off my chair. I've never heard that one before.

I'm going to try that the next time someone posts that they are considering moving to San Francisco. "Hey, why do you want to move to a city in Columbia?"

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,763 times
California has a lot of nice beach towns to consider, but the majority have to be scratched off of your list. The one and only place I can think of that meets nearly all of your criteria is the Central Coast. Try Shell Beach or Pismo. The Central Coast is the closest you will find to old California. The beach towns themselves are rather small but you have other smallish towns nearby you can explore (e.g. San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay). It's probably one of the least touristy areas. It's beautiful with Big Sur at your doorsteps. You are roughly equal distance from both San Francisco and Los Angeles. Do keep in mind that the water is quite chilly/cold everywhere in CA that time of the year. The surfers will be out there in wet suits, but few people swim in the water. If you decide on more populated beaches like Ocean Beach in San Diego or Santa Cruz, make sure you like the stoner and homeless scene. Some people don't care, and others do.

I really think the Central Coast is the closest to what you describe.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
California has a lot of nice beach towns to consider, but the majority have to be scratched off of your list. The one and only place I can think of that meets nearly all of your criteria is the Central Coast. Try Shell Beach or Pismo. The Central Coast is the closest you will find to old California. The beach towns themselves are rather small but you have other smallish towns nearby you can explore (e.g. San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay). It's probably one of the least touristy areas. It's beautiful with Big Sur at your doorsteps. You are roughly equal distance from both San Francisco and Los Angeles. Do keep in mind that the water is quite chilly/cold everywhere in CA that time of the year. The surfers will be out there in wet suits, but few people swim in the water. If you decide on more populated beaches like Ocean Beach in San Diego or Santa Cruz, make sure you like the stoner and homeless scene. Some people don't care, and others do.

I really think the Central Coast is the closest to what you describe.
Ooooh yeah, Pismo, Morro Bay, Cambria area... those are nice places! Also closer to Big Sur and the best steak ever at Jocko's in Nipomo!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I only know Nothern California, and i agree with R4T that in northern CA, Santa Cruz is your town, or Capitola which is right next to it.

Mello, lots of surfers, but not horribly crowded with them, university vibe but not super crowded. You'll need a wet suit.

The movie with Gerard Butler was based in Santa Cruz, Chasing Mavericks.

Santa Cruz is my favorite town, and it's also my daughter's favorite town. We both hope to retire there some day. She's in Oakland, and I'm in Redding for now. But she used to live in SC and I used to cut high school (waaaay back when) and go to Santa Cruz. Best northern CA beach.

For the record, I don't know about San Diego, but the Santa Barbara beaches that I've been to are not nice. They have oil drilling rigs off shore, and the shore had oil blobs you get stuck on your feet, and the surf is really mild and boring. Oily, boring beaches. Yuck. (My daughter went to college there - we both agreed it's not as nice as Santa Cruz there).

Old 09-07-2014, 09:35 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,906 times
Carmel or Monterey -- gorgeous, and not crowded after the summer tourists have cleared out.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:41 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Ooooh yeah, Pismo, Morro Bay, Cambria area... those are nice places! Also closer to Big Sur and the best steak ever at Jocko's in Nipomo!
I need to explore this area. The OP should check it out, too. It's probably cheaper than the Santa Cruz/Monterey area. The only drawback is--no redwood forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California