Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 48,965 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was born and raised in Manhattan's UWS, Mom grew up a couple of blocks from where we live, Dad's from Long Island. Went to a private school in the city where everyone had pretty much the same background as me, went to college on the east coast. Ive never been past Vermont or Virginia (except Florida but that's a given lol). Basically I've never ventured out of my little east coast hole except for the occasional trip to Israel (Im Jewish) or Europe. I feel like I've seen everything there is to see around these parts and for a while now, I've been itching to experience some of this country's other cultures, specifically the West Coast, specifically, California. Im 22, I think its about time. I have 50k saved up and I'm 1/3 owner of my business which allows me to take off whenever. Im looking to chill in a stress free place, with picturesque beaches and slow paced, relaxed atmosphere. I don't want crowds, or scenes or ritz or any of that plastic culture that many people associate with LA. I absolutely hate that, ugh. I just want to rent a little cottage on a quiet beach, learn how to surf, maybe have a fling with a super hot tanned guy and just RELAX. I want to take in this foreign culture that is California. If not now, then when.

I know pretty much nothing about the different towns and cities in Califronia. I know there are a lot of Mexican influenced names and a bunch of cities that start with 'San' or 'Santa'. Beyond that I m clueless. Im looking for a place that has/is:

-non crowded beaches
-pretty, quaint main street, downtown
-laid back, non materialistic
-not too secluded
-luxury without the nouveau riche, in your face swankiness
-not super touristy (ironic i guess)

Note: Most of my friends i grew up with are married, some even have babies. All my post high school friends from college or just around don't have the money to do the things i want to do (and the ones that do have little vacation time) The things i want to do being, get out of my bubble and explore the world. I'm pretty independent, so I don't mind going alone, though it isn't ideal, it can actually be a good thing. I plan on staying a month, but i might cut it in half if i go crazy being solo.

Note 2: I will most likely have my car shipped to wherever i end up staying.

Last edited by tifflee92; 09-06-2014 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 02:05 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
I hear Columbia is nice this time of year.

Quote:
  1. Cali
    City in Colombia
  2. Santiago de Cali, usually known by its short name "Cali", is the capital of the Valle del Cauca department, and the most populous city in western Colombia with an estimated 2,319,655 residents according to 2005-2020/DANE population projections. Wikipedia
  3. Area: 217.8 sq miles (564 km²)
  4. Founded: July 25, 1536
  5. Weather: 70°F (21°C), Wind W at 5 mph (8 km/h), 80% Humidity
  6. Local time: Saturday 3:05 PM

Old 09-06-2014, 02:16 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Santa Cruz, CA, for starters. Take the scenic drive down the coast from San Francisco, or from Oakland west across the Bay, then down Highway 1. Lots of beaches on the way. The main beach in Santa Cruz isn't crowded, though there are usually people strolling, and students playing volleyball. However, if you go south of the main beach, following the cliffside road, you'll get to a more rugged beach area that's beautifully scenic. Santa Cruz has a cute downtown. You can also drive up into the mountains behind town, into the small communities nestled in the redwoods.

From there, continue south through the Big Sur coastline. There are a number of small guest house-type accommodations to stay in (not cheap). I would explore the small coastal towns until you find something you really like, and stop there. The drive and the views are gorgeous.

Most of the beaches in CA are non-crowded, especially in north and central CA. North of San Fran, Bolinas is a nice, low-key beach town, and north of there, Point Reyes. Beware of the undertow on many CA beaches, though. Some are safe (Santa Cruz main beach), others aren't. Those in protected bays are safe.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Santa Cruz, CA, for starters. Take the scenic drive down the coast from San Francisco, or from Oakland west across the Bay, then down Highway 1. Lots of beaches on the way. The main beach in Santa Cruz isn't crowded, though there are usually people strolling, and students playing volleyball. However, if you go south of the main beach, following the cliffside road, you'll get to a more rugged beach area that's beautifully scenic. Santa Cruz has a cute downtown. You can also drive up into the mountains behind town, into the small communities nestled in the redwoods.

From there, continue south through the Big Sur coastline. There are a number of small guest house-type accommodations to stay in (not cheap). I would explore the small coastal towns until you find something you really like, and stop there. The drive and the views are gorgeous.

Most of the beaches in CA are non-crowded, especially in north and central CA. North of San Fran, Bolinas is a nice, low-key beach town, and north of there, Point Reyes. Beware of the undertow on many CA beaches, though. Some are safe (Santa Cruz main beach), others aren't. Those in protected bays are safe.
Cool thanks for the informative response! Would Santa Cruz be considered Northern California? Does it get chilly in the fall/ winter months?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post

I know pretty much nothing about the different towns and cities in Califronia. I know there are a lot of Mexican influenced names and a bunch of cities that start with 'San' or 'Santa'. Beyond that I m clueless. Im looking for a place that has/is:

-non crowded beaches
-pretty, quaint main street, downtown
-laid back, non materialistic
-not too secluded
-luxury without the nouveau riche, in your face swankiness
-not super touristy (ironic i guess)

Ocean Beach (San Diego). I love that place. I didn't know it existing until I met some friends who live there. I visit every now and then and enjoy it everytime. If I could, I'd move there because the vibe is nice.

[i've met a lot of East Coast transplants there so I don't think it is a super-secret]

Old 09-06-2014, 02:37 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Default Oh oh... you said, "Cali"! Ha ha!

Some people get really cheeky about people (especially from another state) calling California "Cali".

It's a lovely first world problem, so don't take it seriously and end up in Columbia!

Anyway, good for you taking the opportunity to travel! Ruth4truth gave some excellent suggestions, and I wouldn't miss the drive through Big Sur!

BTW, if interested in experiencing So. Cal at all, San Clemente is a smaller beach town than Santa Monica, Newport, Laguna etc. (has surfers) Oceanside in north San Diego county is more "gritty" than Carlsbad, or Solana Beach.

Maybe check out some towns on Tripadvisor. Have a blast!

Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Some people get really cheeky about people (especially from another state) calling California "Cali".

It's a lovely first world problem, so don't take it seriously and end up in Columbia!

Anyway, good for you taking the opportunity to travel! Ruth4truth gave some excellent suggestions, and I wouldn't miss the drive through Big Sur!

BTW, if interested in experiencing So. Cal at all, San Clemente is a smaller beach town than Santa Monica, Newport, Laguna etc. (has surfers) Oceanside in north San Diego county is more "gritty" than Carlsbad, or Solana Beach.

Maybe check out some towns on Tripadvisor. Have a blast!
Haha I was wondering what the hell that guy was talking about! My bad for abbreviating a 10 letter word in a thread title. I abbreviated New York too so he shouldn't get too offended

Im gonna research San Clemente, thanks!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Cool thanks for the informative response! Would Santa Cruz be considered Northern California? Does it get chilly in the fall/ winter months?
No. October and November are glorious around the Bay Area, and down the coast. Like an extension of summer. Normally, temps drop in December, but that's been changing, too. Also, in the past, January (more or less) saw the beginning of a rainy season, sometimes starting in Dec. That's been in a state of flux, too.

Santa Cruz is considered marginally part of the SF Bay Area (NorCal). But Monterey Bay, where it's located, is also considered part of the "Central Coast".

When were you planning on coming?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When were you planning on coming?
Late October, Early November, the dead months here in the city. Wanna be back for skiing by December.

How would you compare Santa Cruz to San Diego?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 PM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Quote:
Late October, Early November, the dead months here in the city. Wanna be back for skiing by December.

How would you compare Santa Cruz to San Diego?
San Diego itself is a major metro area, though it trails behind the Bay Area and L.A. in that respect. It's still big, and there's a lot of activity. Big cities like that are going to be busy and crowded in places, but they're also a nice way to see a lot of what California has to offer.

Santa Cruz, while beautiful and popular, is not quite so densely populated. It is a more laid back place, and especially if you're visiting in the fall, it's going to have more of a student dominated feel to it (San Diego also has some large colleges, but the student influence is balanced out by the otherwise large population.

Generally speaking, the further south you go, the warmer the ocean is going to be. Swimming in San Diego is going to be a little bit more fun than around Santa Cruz, but it's not so bad once you get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California