Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoke View Post
Hi All, just need a little advice.
My fiance and i are due to marry this year however he is in the UK military and recently was told he is to go over to california, lemoore for 2 years to work there. Once married i can go with him, but obv i have a few concerns and unanswered questions, hoping this post may help me out? Im torn wether to go or stay with him, it took me alot off courage to move from my home in the north to agree to move to the south of the uk to be with him, so this is a massive thing for me to decide, and life changing.

* How likely/easy will i be able to get a job myself, or will i struggle?
* Seems to me (looking on google maps!) that Lemoore is very remote as the biggest cities all seem to be 2.5-3.5 hours drive away? Is there much there, and does anyone have any pictures of the place?
* Random, but is the weather like all year around? i know it will be warm in some parts of the year?
* Any UK military wives on here already done this move or somwthing similar?
* Living lifestyle will completely change, for the better?
* What is the local airport?

this is all completely new to me and i know nothing about the place, so anyhelp would be amazing.
i appreciate all your help and thank you in advance.
I have lived in Lemoore and know the area quite well.

1. Not sure the information you provide is vague. The unemployment is high Lemoore is a small town you have a better chance of finding a job in Hanford 15-20 minute drive south.
2. Los Angeles and San Francisco are both approximately four hours distance. Fresno about 40 minute drive about 500,000 population.
3. Weather can get very hot in the summer and foggy in the winter.
4. Don't know
5. Don't know
6. Local airport is in Fresno.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I survived three years in Bakersfield. It's the only place I ever lived where it rained mud. Got out as soon as I could.
I had a job for a software company and had to spend a week in Bakersfield every year with a client who was "computer challenged", oh how I dreaded that trip. Once my boss booked a room at an ugly motel in an area was so crime ridden they had the coke machine encased in a huge steel box that they locked at night, the hotel was named after some TV cowboy, Lone Ranger, Gene Autrey, something like that - God it sucked.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM

117 posts, read 149,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had a job for a software company and had to spend a week in Bakersfield every year with a client who was "computer challenged", oh how I dreaded that trip. Once my boss booked a room at an ugly motel in an area was so crime ridden they had the coke machine encased in a huge steel box that they locked at night, the hotel was named after some TV cowboy, Lone Ranger, Gene Autrey, something like that - God it sucked.
Unfortunately a lot of the San Joaquin Valley is like this. You can say these places have good and bad but in my experience the negatives have always out-weighed the positives. The biggest problem I have always encountered about these SJV towns is the corruption. Typically they are controlled by small groups of people and families that have been there since day one. They all have their hands in the cookie jar and they fight against anything that represents change. It has only been in the last 25 years that there has been an influx of people from the outside that has upset their balance of control. These local people people are the reason most SJV towns seem to be behind the times even though they are halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

I myself am traveling to Redding CA this spring to see what it's like. I passed through this town when I was a kid and teenager but it wasn't for very long and I wasn't concerned about the things we are discussing. I have always reserved judgement on the town even though it is notorious for a number of negative things. Things like - it's the Meth capital of the country, every single city and county in the state send it's paroled sex offenders there and on and on...I have always been fascinated by this town because of it's location in the state and I've always thought of living here if I had to spend the rest of my life in California. I am hoping this city proves all those stereotypes wrong. I will say this; all of these small Valley towns start looking like each other after you've visited a handful.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
Unfortunately a lot of the San Joaquin Valley is like this. You can say these places have good and bad but in my experience the negatives have always out-weighed the positives. The biggest problem I have always encountered about these SJV towns is the corruption. Typically they are controlled by small groups of people and families that have been there since day one. They all have their hands in the cookie jar and they fight against anything that represents change. It has only been in the last 25 years that there has been an influx of people from the outside that has upset their balance of control. These local people people are the reason most SJV towns seem to be behind the times even though they are halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

I myself am traveling to Redding CA this spring to see what it's like. I passed through this town when I was a kid and teenager but it wasn't for very long and I wasn't concerned about the things we are discussing. I have always reserved judgement on the town even though it is notorious for a number of negative things. Things like - it's the Meth capital of the country, every single city and county in the state send it's paroled sex offenders there and on and on...I have always been fascinated by this town because of it's location in the state and I've always thought of living here if I had to spend the rest of my life in California. I am hoping this city proves all those stereotypes wrong. I will say this; all of these small Valley towns start looking like each other after you've visited a handful.

Have you ever lived in Lemoore? Also what SJV towns specifically are you referring to? It seems that you paint with a broad brush without having the facts or the first hand experience you mention meth and corruption and that SJV town are controlled by small groups of people that doesn't seem to be anything exclusive the SJV. I have no idea what towns you are talking about but I have lived in the San Joaquin Valley for a long time and have not found what you state to be true.

Op Lemoore is a nice area family oriented town just choose the area wisely when looking for an apartment there are some areas that I wouldn't live in but overall it is a nice place, although it is a conservative area.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM

117 posts, read 149,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Have you ever lived in Lemoore? Also what SJV towns specifically are you referring to? It seems that you paint with a broad brush without having the facts or the first hand experience you mention meth and corruption and that SJV town are controlled by small groups of people that doesn't seem to be anything exclusive the SJV. I have no idea what towns you are talking about but I have lived in the San Joaquin Valley for a long time and have not found what you state to be true.

Op Lemoore is a nice area family oriented town just choose the area wisely when looking for an apartment there are some areas that I wouldn't live in but overall it is a nice place, although it is a conservative area.
I will bet anything you are someone that did not grow up there in Lemoore or anywhere in the SJV, but on the hand that you have, you are probably also someone that is not aware of the world around you.

As far as what I said about Redding, did you not read my post carefully. I said I was reserving judgement on the town until I visited. Also the few things I mentioned about Redding are what's been said here in this forum by people who have lived there.

It seems to me that you are overly defensive of Lemoore. My family history in Kings County goes back to the 1930s so that gives me plenty of experience talking about the place. Who are you and where are you from?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
AFP

Quote:
I will bet anything you are someone that did not grow up there in Lemoore or anywhere in the SJV, but on the hand that you have, you are probably also someone that is not aware of the world around you.

As far as what I said about Redding, did you not read my post carefully. I said I was reserving judgement on the town until I visited. Also the few things I mentioned about Redding are what's been said here in this forum by people who have lived there.

It seems to me that you are overly defensive of Lemoore. My family history in Kings County goes back to the 1930s so that gives me plenty of experience talking about the place. Who are you and where are you from?
If your family history goes back to Kings County to 1930 then I probably know of your family I have family that settled in Kings County in 1874. I lived in Lemoore 9 years.

It appeared that you were conflating Lemoore with Redding without making a distiction and and if you have family that settled in Kings county in the 1930's you certainly don't have any love for the area based on your comments. Your comments on the SJV in no way were positive I don't believe anyone reading your post would come away with that conclusion.

Regarding your opinions of my post and my response it is pure conjecture and I will treat them as such without responding. Otherwise I would be giving value to your attempt at a personal comment.

Have a good day this forum I believe is about California and responding to questions and posts not a personal thing I responded to your post not you personally you may want to review the guidelines.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 16,817 times
Can i just say a huge thank you to everyone who has replied to my post, you def helped alot and have given me so much information on the areas, links to websites that helped, things to do and pretty much most things i needed to know.

However.....

my fiance told me last night that is isnt actually Lemoore NAS that he is going to, he has now been tod he will be going Edwards AFB! which i believe is alot closer to LA. Could anyone give me information on the local area for this base, best arears, arears to stay clear of, closest towns for shops etc? As all the information that was given to me for lemoore was a huge help.

Dont want to go into this blind and want to know as much as i can for it to be the best adventure it can be!

Thanks in Advance xx

Old 01-13-2015, 05:47 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times
Edwards is about an hour and a half from LA. The nearest towns are Lancaster and Palmdale, Palmdale being the nicer of the two in my humble opinion. In either case, stay west of Freeway 14 if you live off base.
There's plenty of services and shopping in the two towns so you have no worry about that. This area is in the high desert so hot in the summer, cold a bit in the winter, overall very pleasant. It's an easy jaunt down to LA and to the coast too.
Don't worry about adapting to driving on the opposite side of the road here - as I discovered driving in the UK your main focus will be keeping the center of the road next to the driver, that is of course unless you bring a right side driving (steering) car with you! Otherwise you will see how natural it is to drive on our roads with the steering wheel located on the left of the car, a bit of practice and you will be fine!
I'm not certain what job opportunities you may have - have your fiance check with Edwards, they should have staff to help with transition. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 16,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Edwards is about an hour and a half from LA. The nearest towns are Lancaster and Palmdale, Palmdale being the nicer of the two in my humble opinion. In either case, stay west of Freeway 14 if you live off base.
There's plenty of services and shopping in the two towns so you have no worry about that. This area is in the high desert so hot in the summer, cold a bit in the winter, overall very pleasant. It's an easy jaunt down to LA and to the coast too.
Don't worry about adapting to driving on the opposite side of the road here - as I discovered driving in the UK your main focus will be keeping the center of the road next to the driver, that is of course unless you bring a right side driving (steering) car with you! Otherwise you will see how natural it is to drive on our roads with the steering wheel located on the left of the car, a bit of practice and you will be fine!
I'm not certain what job opportunities you may have - have your fiance check with Edwards, they should have staff to help with transition. Good luck and enjoy!
All this information is a huge help thank you, we really appreciate everyone's kind help and replies x

Old 01-15-2015, 11:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
I just moved from Redding in November. I lived there 1 year. I really liked it except the weather. It's horrendously hot, and I've lived in hot weather. Literally, it was just under 100 degrees to 117 degrees, with 110 being not abnormal - from mid May to mid October. There is no evening cool down. So, you are only comfortable outside from about 3am to 10am during half the year. Even now, it's freezing at night, and pushing 70 degrees during the day - in January.

There is a lot of recreation, it's beautiful, and I didn't find Redding to have a lot of crime, but there are a lot of homeless, especially downtown where I lived, but I would have stayed there if the weather wasn't so severe. I actually got sick of the sun in Redding. It's a very sunny town - nearly every day of the year is sunny, which I thought would be great. But, I moved to a cloudy, mild climate to get out of the heat, and I'm happier here. FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoke View Post
All this information is a huge help thank you, we really appreciate everyone's kind help and replies x
Either area is not the best of CA. If I were you, I'd stay in England and tell him you'll join him after he comes back and puts a ring on your finger. Just sayin'. You've moved for him once already, and here you are again. Now, if he was going to take you to some great area of CA where you could meet someone better, who would actually propose, I'd say go for it! But, I think you've disrupted your life enough for this guy. Time to get a ring - or a new guy. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California