Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Pardon me, Bay Area-ite born and raised, here. The beaches are far more than just scenery. I always find the crashing surf spectacular! Energizing, along with the fresh sea air. Maybe it's hard to appreciate until you've lived near beaches with no surf (think: the Northwest). But California beaches are beautiful. I've never lost my sense of wonder and enjoyment about them. And after living in the desert for a few years, I find the waves and the kaleidoscope of blues, greens, and sea foam they create -- mesmerizing. A 3-day weekend at the beach: Stinson, Bolinas, Pt. Reyes, can be a magical getaway that purges your mind of any stresses and worries, and puts you in a different world. Wonderful for relaxation. Funny how we get stuck in our routines and our habituated environments, and forget about the power to relax and rejuvenate that immersion in nature can provide. The redwoods can have the same effect. OP--Bay area & N. coast = Redwoods! I'd like to see Austin or Irvine beat that!

But that's just me. Pardon my enthusiasm. I couldn't contain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:08 AM

336 posts, read 411,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
SACRAMENTO
Okay, Sac vs. East Bay...

Yes, less violent crime and cheaper rent in Sac yet still diverse/integrated/urban with progressive/green/creative/outdoorsy/gardening/humble/dog-friendly folks sounds great! (Many shootings near my rental home past 9 months in El Cerrito super near Albany border; eek.)

===
City Data says:

(The higher the # for crime rate or air quality index the worse)

*ALAMEDA: 44% white, 203 crime rate, $43,000 per capita income, 9% in poverty, 104 air quality index

*ALBANY: 50% w, 218 cr, $39,000 pci, 10% ip, 102 aqi

*BERKELEY: 56% w, 389 cr, $43,000 pci, 19% ip, 102 aqi

*EL CERRITO: 50% w, 397 cr, $42,000 pci, 8% ip 102 aqi

*SACRAMENTO: 34% w, 428 cr, $25,000 pci, 23% ip, 108 aqi
===

Sac is more racially diverse than the other 4. Cool. But more overall crime, more poverty, worse air quality and mixed reviews. Is its economy secure?

Longtime vegan so not into fishing or hunting. Snow sports not a top priority. Main nature cravings are swimmable outdoor water (coastal or inland, bonus points for bonfires) and camping and hiking, closer the better. You describe traveling as far or further to nature access from Sac than I do in East Bay; you even come to East Bay for it!

Maybe I am crazy for not considering returning to Santa Cruz/Aptos/Capitola. Or I should just pick some remote swimming hole town (maybe find partner here first) and live more simply. Just not sure East Bay is the long-term fit.

Hmm:
http://m.redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=3791

Last edited by NatureYogi; 06-08-2015 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Lifelong Bay Area resident here. I don't know anyone who goes "to the beach" on a regular basis. I haven't been in about 10 years and I have family in Santa Cruz who aren't beach people either.
Very hard to understand. To each their own. Beach shoreline is one of the highest vibrational, most healing places on earth. Ever notice how many ads or commercials for relaxation, spas, vacations, transformation, retreats, meditation, joy show image of beaches? Major nature deficit in our culture really imbalances and stresses. Elements rejuvenate. Google "grounding."

Old 06-08-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pardon me, Bay Area-ite born and raised, here. The beaches are far more than just scenery. I always find the crashing surf spectacular! Energizing, along with the fresh sea air. Maybe it's hard to appreciate until you've lived near beaches with no surf (think: the Northwest). But California beaches are beautiful. I've never lost my sense of wonder and enjoyment about them. And after living in the desert for a few years, I find the waves and the kaleidoscope of blues, greens, and sea foam they create -- mesmerizing. A 3-day weekend at the beach: Stinson, Bolinas, Pt. Reyes, can be a magical getaway that purges your mind of any stresses and worries, and puts you in a different world. Wonderful for relaxation. Funny how we get stuck in our routines and our habituated environments, and forget about the power to relax and rejuvenate that immersion in nature can provide. The redwoods can have the same effect. OP--Bay area & N. coast = Redwoods! I'd like to see Austin or Irvine beat that!

But that's just me. Pardon my enthusiasm. I couldn't contain it.
Am feeling you on this one, Ruth4Truth!!

Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Hey NatureYogi, here are my thoughts:

Portland, OR sounds right for you. Very cosmopolitan, has grown a lot, but not too much in past 20 years to make it intolerable. Great outdoor activities, easy access to OR coast. Big vegan community. Not that far to Seattle & short plane ride to Bay Area. Good area to raise children. It really does not rain there so much, especially since the drought. I was there for the holidays last Dec., not a drop
of rain, lots of ppl outside.

2. San Diego was home for most of my adult life, & was utopia maybe 20 yrs. ago. Now, it is over-crowded, over-priced & very frenetic, I would not want to raise a family there now. But it will be fun for a vacation.

3. Irvine. Has a great university, a family member got a great education there, it is very safe. But, it is a master-planned community, very predictable, very expensive, lots of rules.

4. There is a book dedicated to hot springs in the western states. I once made a roadtrip of just natural hot springs in Northern Nevada, it was amazing. All were accessible from Reno, which is a quick plane trip from anywhere on the west coast.

Good luck in your life adventure!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Main nature cravings are swimmable outdoor water (coastal or inland, bonus points for bonfires) and camping and hiking, closer the better. You describe traveling as far or further to nature access from Sac than I do in East Bay; you even come to East Bay for it!

Maybe I am crazy for not considering returning to Santa Cruz/Aptos/Capitola. Or I should just pick some remote swimming hole town (maybe find partner here first) and live more simply. Just not sure East Bay is the long-term fit.

Hmm:
Swimming Holes of Humboldt
Did you read the link I posted about the artist community in Sacramento?

New R Street complex sees artists working, living and collaborating | The Sacramento Bee

Where is it that you swim outdoors in the Bay Area? Swimming hole town?

My swimming hole is a 5 minute walk outside from one my Sacramento houses on the American River.

Besides that, the "swimming hole town" I know closest to me is Folsom, CA.(Folsom Lake).

I surf Pacifica(1hr, 30mins away), rarely Stinson, rarely Santa Cruz.

(Snow skiing is important to me so being 4 hours away in the Bay Area would totally suck.)

The Sierra foothills is the closest real nature area, depending on where you live in the Sacto Metro, 15mins away to 30 mins.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Hey NatureYogi, here are my thoughts:

Portland, OR sounds right for you. Very cosmopolitan, has grown a lot, but not too much in past 20 years to make it intolerable. Great outdoor activities, easy access to OR coast. Big vegan community. Not that far to Seattle & short plane ride to Bay Area. Good area to raise children. It really does not rain there so much, especially since the drought. I was there for the holidays last Dec., not a drop
of rain, lots of ppl outside.

2. San Diego was home for most of my adult life, & was utopia maybe 20 yrs. ago. Now, it is over-crowded, over-priced & very frenetic, I would not want to raise a family there now. But it will be fun for a vacation.

3. Irvine. Has a great university, a family member got a great education there, it is very safe. But, it is a master-planned community, very predictable, very expensive, lots of rules.

4. There is a book dedicated to hot springs in the western states. I once made a roadtrip of just natural hot springs in Northern Nevada, it was amazing. All were accessible from Reno, which is a quick plane trip from anywhere on the west coast.

Good luck in your life adventure!
Thanks!! Haven't bought books on swimming holes yet cause so far they each are $40-50 but will budget it in at some point. Your Nevada trip sounds inspiring and wonderful!

Southern California definitely doesn't resonate with me the way Central/Northern California, Oregon and Washington do. But unfair to make full judgment before actually visiting; I haven't been south of Santa Cruz area. Keep feeling my dream town is somewhere near Central/North CA coast (or maybe Oregon or Washington) but problem is too many cities for me to explore each one and some may not even be on my radar. Hawaii less of interest for me to raise family the more I read about it.

Portland: lived there a few months 10ish years ago. Liked it alot. Many people have suggested it for me. Portlandia is hilarious. Would love to hear more about why you think it'd fit me better than East Bay's Albany/Berkeley/Alameda. Google does say there are great outdoor swimming spots within an hour of Portland, yay, though East Bay has that too. Rent a bit cheaper, woo-hoo!

Last edited by NatureYogi; 06-08-2015 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Where is it that you swim outdoors in the Bay Area? Swimming hole town?
There are lots of outdoor swimming spots within 3 hours...Inverness, Bolinas, China Camp, Russian River, Livermore, Lake Anza, Alameda, God's Bath, Garden of Eden, Lake Temescal, etc., etc. Most I haven't been to yet. Harbor Hot Springs is fun too.

Quote:
My swimming hole is a 5 minute walk outside from one my Sacramento houses on the American River.
Nice!!!! So nice.

Quote:
Besides that, the "swimming hole town" I know closest to me is Folsom, CA.(Folsom Lake).
Will look into.

Quote:
The Sierra foothills is the closest real nature area, depending on where you live in the Sacto Metro, 15mins away to 30 mins.
Heard they are gorgeous!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Maybe will take week off work and just road trip throughout west coast to sort this out, haha.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Maybe will take week off work and just road trip throughout west coast to sort this out, haha.
Too bad you can't just stay in El Cerrito, I love that town for the houses and hills and of course BART to the rest of the Bay Area. Don't come to Sac it's going to be over 92F it will too much of a shock for you. :-). Last month, all month was perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California