Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:54 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Advertisements

Look into Costa Rica. Many people understand & speak some English. Along the Pacific coast, you will find several affluent communities comprised mostly of US citizens -- 2nd homes, vacationers, ex-pats. It is a very pleasant climate. In the capital city (San Jose) there are several US corporations there (high tech).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:35 AM

336 posts, read 411,946 times
Oh wow, getting really excited about Santa Rosa!

Not as diverse as I'd like racially (so many cool cities aren't!) but no place is gonna meet my wishlist 100% and it is at least more diverse than other cities near it. Has Spring Lake Park which sounds like it embodies the stuff I picture raising kids by: swimming, fire pit, campground, nature (a "summer camp" vibe). 35 minutes from Guerneville. 15-20 minutes away are 3 hot springs that sound wonderful including a pool made of spring water!! A K-12 Waldorf School. 20 minutes to a cooking school I've eyed for years. Near other intriguing places like Sebastopol and Gualala. Hour from Marin beaches including Hearts Desire Beach swimming. West Sonoma County sounds GLBT-friendly. Wow, can't wait to visit Santa Rosa!

East Bay could do the trick and I've been exploring it and appreciating it more lately...but there is something firmly keeping me from committing to it so I need to still stay open...though feeling pretty sure the winner is in Central or North California. Santa Rosa might be it!! Gonna visit this weekend!

Costa Rica sounds very cool for vacation, once had a great job offer there, but like Thailand and probably Hawaii it is too far from family. I'm already too far from family.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 06-13-2015 at 01:10 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 PM

336 posts, read 411,946 times
Thanks again so much for these comments! Have been enjoying road tripping up to Western Sonoma County and strongy considering Sebastopol/Forestville/Gratin. Plan to also visit West Marin and Monterey and think more about Portland and (much closer to family) Asheville or Florida or Nashville. Curious about Encinitas and Lafayette and Vancouver, Canada. I do see that Sacramento could maybe fit well (and save money and swim!) but walking dogs in that heat wouldn't be comfy. 60-74 degrees Fahrenheit ideal and rain and some fog and MAYBE light snow is fine (Berkeley weather is pretty perfect). Wanna decide on city within next 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California