Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:48 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownSacto View Post
For example, do you use the same tipping scale for waitstaff in Washington State who make $9.47 an hour compared to waitstaff in New Jersey who make $2.13 an hour?
I, personally, do. Said $9.47 is not what's gonna end up on your hourly stub. You're taxed like crazy on your CC tips, etc.

I worked back east for $2.13 and I think got a ($15) paycheck ONCE.

Servers depend on TIPS to feed their kids, not hourly.

If you can't afford 20% (for good service, for the sake of argument), don't go out to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
I, personally, do. Said $9.47 is not what's gonna end up on your hourly stub. You're taxed like crazy on your CC tips, etc.

I worked back east for $2.13 and I think got a ($15) paycheck ONCE.

Servers depend on TIPS to feed their kids, not hourly.

If you can't afford 20% (for good service, for the sake of argument), don't go out to eat.
In some cities in ca severs are getting 10-15 an hour plus tips.

Like I said, I adjust my tips according to minimum wage for the city I am eating in.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
In some cities in ca severs are getting 10-15 an hour plus tips.

Like I said, I adjust my tips according to minimum wage for the city I am eating in.
Certainly your prerogative, but I would advise AGAINST going back to any restaurant where you stiff, or leave a terrible tip.

Don't take my advice, go back and get recognized, (or worst case, have the same server) and I guarantee something awful will be done to your food/drinks, or at best, you'll receive terrible service.

People don't understand that servers hold lots of power over the arseholes (not calling you that, just in general) they have to deal with in this grueling job.

We remember faces, for sure, AND HANDLE PERSONALLY WHAT'S GOING INTO YOUR MOUTH!!!

Stiff me when I did my job very well, then come back next time, and I'll make sure your food is, .... wait, I'll just end it right there. ::Hocks Lougie::

Trust us servers here. (No longer in the business, but was for many years.)

Old 08-17-2015, 10:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Certainly your prerogative, but I would advise AGAINST going back to any restaurant where you stiff, or leave a terrible tip.

Don't take my advice, go back and get recognized, (or worst case, have the same server) and I guarantee something awful will be done to your food/drinks, or at best, you'll receive terrible service.

People don't understand that servers hold lots of power over the arseholes (not calling you that, just in general) they have to deal with in this grueling job.

We remember faces, for sure, AND HANDLE PERSONALLY WHAT'S GOING INTO YOUR MOUTH!!!

Stiff me when I did my job very well, then come back next time, and I'll make sure your food is, .... wait, I'll just end it right there. ::Hocks Lougie::

I waited on tables to get me through college.

It is unfortunate if someone cannot see the connection between a reduced tip rape with an increase of minimum wage.

The money is going to them just like it did before, just now it goes through the employers and then to the sever.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I waited on tables to get me through college.

It is unfortunate if someone cannot see the connection between a reduced tip rape with an increase of minimum wage.

The money is going to them just like it did before, just now it goes through the employers and then to the sever.

It is also unfortunate that someone cannot see the connection between residing where you can live a comfortable life on 35k a year (assuming no debt, tons of kids, etc), vs living somewhere like here for 100k for the same life (probably not as comfortable, honestly, IMO). There's a reason there is an increase in hourly.

Said extra $7/hr is going to (help) offset the extra cost of living in crazy ridiculous prices, like here, even though he/she won't see much of it because your CC tips are taxed on the hourly.

I'm surprised you ever waited tables.

And I don't think you're the one who said this, but whomever compared serving in a restaurant to flipping burgers (while they're busy) at McDonald's is crazy.

I don't even know where to start with that one.

Imagine getting quadruple sat, two tables of them 8-10 tops, all the while checking on your other tables and making sure they are receiving perfect service, their change back promptly (all from separate checks), etc., just to hurry up and greet, get drinks, get apps in, etc etc for the next 20-25 people who just got sat in your section within 3 minutes of each other.

Comparing that to a busy day at Burger King, behind the counter, where you don't have to interact with anyone, flipping pre-made burgers is a NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:

Thats utter BS. You have no business being in the service industry. You dont deserve anything, you earn it by providing great service to all you customers. Tips do not start at 20%, thats crazy.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats utter BS. You have no business being in the service industry. You dont deserve anything, you earn it by providing great service to all you customers. Tips do not start at 20%, thats crazy.
What, do you think I just greeted my tables with a "FU", slammed their plates down and then kicked them out the door?

I may not have said it outright (though I inferred it and thought I did say it), but 20% is a standard tip for good service.

I'm not good at my job and have no business being in the service industry?

Ok, my last serving job was at a fine-dining place at my hometown. Easily one of the top 3 restaurants there.

WITHIN 5 DAYS ON THE FLOOR, I was promoted to Closer, FOH Trainer, Headwaiter, Bartender, and handled most of the banquets. Man, the other employees hated me at first. Lol.

I was even offered a management position a few months later, but turned it down bc restaurant management is hell on earth, IMO.

But I have no business doing any of that. Ok, thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

Let me ask you a question? What % does a tip start at in your opinion?

Old 08-17-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
What, do you think I just greeted my tables with a "FU", slammed their plates down and then kicked them out the door?

I may not have said it outright (though I inferred it and thought I did say it), but 20% is a standard tip for good service.

I'm not good at my job and have no business being in the service industry?

Ok, my last serving job was at a fine-dining place at my hometown. Easily one of the top 3 restaurants there.

WITHIN 5 DAYS ON THE FLOOR, I was promoted to Closer, FOH Trainer, Headwaiter, Bartender, and handled most of the banquets. Man, the other employees hated me at first. Lol.

I was even offered a management position a few months later, but turned it down bc restaurant management is hell on earth, IMO.

But I have no business doing any of that. Ok, thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

Let me ask you a question? What % does a tip start at in your opinion?

Youve just got a horrible attitude and being one of "those" people who would mess with someones order for not graciously giving you a 20% tip on their last trip in is bush league.
15% is a good starting point

Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Youve just got a horrible attitude and being one of "those" people who would mess with someones order for not graciously giving you a 20% tip on their last trip in is bush league.
15% is a good starting point
Actually, THIS is what I said:

Quote:

I don't demand a 20% tip, but I sure expect it when my tables always got excellent service from me.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Actually, THIS is what I said:

I don't demand a 20% tip, but I sure expect it when my tables always got excellent service from me.

This is also what you said:
Quote:
You dont demand it but you sure expect it! Please.....just because you think you gave excellent service doesnt mean your customer felt that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California