Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
This is also what you said:

You dont demand it but you sure expect it! Please.....just because you think you gave excellent service doesnt mean your customer felt that way...
Give my ex bosses a call and ask them who their senior staff was, and who their top three servers were.

They'll tell you how people would wait an additional 30 mins (on top of a 45 min wait) just for my section. Whenever the local celebrities, big wigs, VIPs came in, I was at the top of the list on who got to take care of them.

Said bosses practically cried when I left and moved away.

We can continue this discussion then. Want the #?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Give my ex bosses a call and ask them who their senior staff was, and who their top three servers were.

They'll tell you how people would wait an additional 30 mins (on top of a 45 min wait) just for my section. Whenever the local celebrities, big wigs, VIPs came in, I was at the top of the list on who got to take care of them.

Said bosses practically cried when I left and moved away.

We can continue this discussion then. Want the #?

It doesnt mean anything to me, you dont have to prove anything to me. Its your attitude I took offense to. (which you deleted from the reply). Are you ashamed you said that?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
It doesnt mean anything to me, you dont have to prove anything to me. Its your attitude I took offense to. (which you deleted from the reply). Are you ashamed you said that?
That was a mistake (removing whatever), and I don't even know specifically what you're talking about. I'm not ashamed of anything I've said.

What is so bad about my attitude? That I voiced that it's well known that 20% is the standard (15% is mediocre, but acceptable, though still not enough) for good service, and that, as someone who lived off tips for years, am opinionated about it??

Grown thicker skin, pal. I'm not here to offend anyone. You think I'm mean? Good lord, you obviously haven't spent much time on here nor read other threads where it's all-out flaming war. I'm the nicest "mean person" on here compared to any of that.

Quote:
It doesnt mean anything to me, you dont have to prove anything to me.
Ok, so I logically explained my piece (about how I give outstanding servince and was great at my job, and EXPECTED 20%), and you brush it off by saying you need no proof, when I offered it right there.

I should print and scan the letter of reccomendation my old boss gave me on here just for you, though I'm too lazy to mess with pic posting on here and deleting names, etc.

I'm an excellent server. I damm well EXPECT a 20% tip for busting my arse off for people.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 AM

....more attitude.
You are fortunate if someone gives you 20% tips. 15 is perfectly acceptable. 18 is great.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
....more attitude.
You are fortunate if someone gives you 20% tips. 15 is perfectly acceptable. 18 is great.
No, it's not.

20% is the standard for good/great service (I always tip 20-25% if the service is good, 30+% for excellent).

18% is ok, but annoying. It's like leaving $2 on a $15 check instead of $3, or $8 tip on $50 check instead of $10 tip to make it nice and round. God forbid add just one more precious dollar or two and not be an annoying, stingy tipper. (I realize my percentages are wrong there; just making a point.)

15% is straight out of the general rule in my Granparents' generation (I'm 33) and is NOT a good tip in any way, shape, or form, assuming you had good service.

The regulars who come in with that BS 15% regular tipper, they're the table I care the LEAST about, and 95% of other servers most likely would agree here.

Keep tipping 15% and wonder why your service isn't great everywhere, especially at places you regularly frequent.

I'm agreeing to disagree here.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
No, it's not.

20% is the standard for good/great service (I always tip 20-25% if the service is good, 30+% for excellent).

18% is ok, but annoying. It's like leaving $2 on a $15 check instead of $3, or $8 tip on $50 check instead of $10 tip to make it nice and round. God forbid add just one more precious dollar or two and not be an annoying, stingy tipper. (I realize my percentages are wrong there; just making a point.)

15% is straight out of the general rule in my Granparents' generation (I'm 33) and is NOT a good tip in any way, shape, or form, assuming you had good service.

The regulars who come in with that BS 15% regular tipper, they're the table I care the LEAST about, and 95% of other servers most likely would agree here.

Keep tipping 15% and wonder why your service isn't great everywhere, especially at places you regularly frequent.

I'm agreeing to disagree here.

Thats fine, but the attitude is to strong. Id like a more low key server who is all about service, understanding that not everyone is going to tip 20% and thats ok. Your service shouldnt alter at all.

30%! thats insane unless you're cooking the food to!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I would only tip 20% at a very top notch place with top notch active service.
So if you go to The Olive Garden and have a wonderful, knowledgeable, personable server whom you'll remember bc he/she/the service was that good, they don't deserve 20% just because it's not Fleming's? Only expensive places' servers get 20%?

Quote:
At an average restaurant 12-15%
So now we're down to 12% at an "Average restaurant." I feel sorry for anyone who works at a TGI Fridays, Red Lobster, etc. that has to serve you. People don't have to work off Canon Drive in BH to be great servers.

Quote:
At a minimal service place (counter order type)...couple of bucks max.
Do you mean a diner like Waffle House? No, they deserve their 20% also.

What does the quality of place have to do with what the servers (assuming good service) get for taking care of you?

Also, I might add, in 95% of restaurants, servers give a good chunk of their tips to tipout for the bussers, bartenders, hostesses, etc. So that $3.60 (12%) tip on a $30 check you give at Olive Garden or wherever, the server keeps about $2.50 for that, if even that much.

When a server gets stiffed on a tip, they are LITERALLY PAYING THEIR OWN MONEY to serve those customers.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 AM

First: you dont DESERVE anything. You get what you work for. You are not entitled to 20% tips in all cases.

Second: yes, tips vary depending on where, circumstances etc

Third: Im talking about counter service, chow line. Tipping is getting just a bit outta hand, when Chipotle flips the screen of an ipad around so you can be shamed into tipping. Thats wrong.

I never mentioned 'stiffing' anyone of a tip, unless you use that term for any tip less than 20%!?

Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
What, do you think I just greeted my tables with a "FU", slammed their plates down and then kicked them out the door?
The more this thread continues the more likely this scenario appears.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
First: you dont DESERVE anything. You get what you work for. You are not entitled to 20% tips in all cases.
Yes, and what I WORK FOR is giving excellent service, and expect my 20%. This is just back and forth, and I don't even think we are talking about the same thing. THE STANDARD FOR GOOD SERVICE IS 20%, PERIOD. ASK ANYONE IN THE SERVICE INDUSTRY!!!

Quote:
Second: yes, tips vary depending on where, circumstances etc
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you had a great server. What "circumstances" do you speak of?

Again, why does someone who gives great service at Outback not deserve 20% just because it's not a 4-5 star restaurant, in which case you actually would leave 20%? This logic baffles me.

Quote:
Third: Im talking about counter service, chow line. Tipping is getting just a bit outta hand, when Chipotle flips the screen of an ipad around so you can be shamed into tipping. Thats wrong.
This is one instance where I semi-agree with you. I don't think you're "shamed into tipping", and I still always do tip, but yes, that is annoying. At the "chow line" places, yeah. It's like they're putting you on the spot. They should have left it like it was with just a tip jar.

Quote:
I never mentioned 'stiffing' anyone of a tip, unless you use that term for any tip less than 20%!?
Wasn't mentioning you; just trying to explain how tipping and tipouts work. The 12% you leave, the server doesn't get all of that.

Say you have a 8% tipout of your sales. A 5-top of rednecks come in, run you around, aren't nice, and then stiff you on a bill of $100.

You just paid $8 for that. YOU paid THEM to eat there!!!!!

So say you and your spouse come in later, and indulge a bit and spend $100 on lunch. If you leave your 12%, that's $12. Minus said $8 from an 8% tipout on their sales. That would leave them with $4. Do you see what I'm saying?

Last edited by Mister 7; 08-18-2015 at 02:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California