Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,048,363 times

Advertisements

If you're paying an extra 20% on your food, you're paying too much in CA, considering the waitstaff makes at least $9/hour doing nothing but sticking to their job description, which is to
1. bring your food and
2. not mix up your order.

Satisfying these requirements is not considered "outstanding."

If you think they did an outstanding job, you should compare it to how you are treated in non-tipped countries, and then reevaluate whether you truly got outstanding service.

Even though I see so many bored-annoyed-looking waitstaff, I would not consider a smile on the face to be outstanding service either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
and considering that CA is not a tipped credit state, they should not even expect to be tipped

cant understand also why we need to tip servers. we don't tip staff at walmart and they also paid minimum wage

Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
When Min. wage hits $15 all tips stop. Actually when its at $12.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
If you're paying an extra 20% on your food, you're paying too much in CA, considering the waitstaff makes at least $9/hour doing nothing but sticking to their job description, which is to
1. bring your food and

If you think they did an outstanding job, you should compare it to how you are treated in non-tipped countries, and then reevaluate whether you truly got outstanding service.

Even though I see so many bored-annoyed-looking waitstaff, I would not consider a smile on the face to be outstanding service either.
Where are you going where you are required to tip?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
1. bring your food and

Go back to Europe. If you can't afford to tip your server 20% as part of your restaurant bill, you aren't worth even talking to.

People DEPEND on tips to make a living; I know, as I used to do this while working my way through college.

If you wanna be cheap and stingy bc everything is expensive here, I understand, but don't stiff your server for it.

Seriously.

Last edited by Mister 7; 08-14-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Also, 90% of the time, servers can spot the non-tippers the second they sit down. We're not stupid. Don't tip, then don't wonder what that flim is floating in your water.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Some people should not eat out. They either find it too expensive and/or too annoying.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Go back to Europe. If you can't afford to tip your server 20% as part of your restaurant bill, you aren't worth even talking to.

People DEPEND on tips to make a living; I know, as I used to do this while working my way through college.
But that was when waitstaff was paid UNDER minimum wage. I waited tables and bartended for years, and would do it again if I needed to.

Tips would bring you well above minimum wage if you hustled. I did work one place that paid minimum or a bit over and there was a note on the menu saying tips not required. We did get them, but not at the same rate as in other places that paid lower.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM

426 posts, read 424,272 times
Wait, I thought they were making less than minimum wage. That's the only reason I was tipping 20%.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 PM

807 posts, read 898,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Wait, I thought they were making less than minimum wage. That's the only reason I was tipping 20%.
There are no servers anywhere in the US that legally make less than minimum wage. In the states where people are nominally paid less than minimum wage [and California is not one of those states] per hour, when their paycheck comes in, if their tips don't bring them to the equivalent of minimum wage or more then the restaurant must make up the difference so that staff will always take home at least the minimum wage on their paycheck.

If I remember correctly, 15% used to be the norm for average service. I have gone up to 20% for okay-ish service because I know that the COL in California is so high. Basically, I am aware that I'm subsidizing the restaurant's wage models.

Last edited by DriveNotCommute; 08-14-2015 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California