Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Respectfully, your walking-distance standard is a bit of a straw-man. All of them? Perhaps I miscommunicated.
I'm not putting words in your mouth...
Quote:
But if you're poor or middle-class you're going to drive a long **** time to see them, and you'd better pack a lunch for once you get there. You may as well be living in another state and just come in for vacations.
Quote:
Contrast this to the notion of any median-income person living within "swing by on the way home" distance of the redwoods, for instance, unless they're up in Crescent City or north of Eureka. Or (much-overrated imho) Tahoe. Or many of the beaches which are now inaccessible to the public.
ok, so now the criteria is 'swing by on the way home'. Of course most people don't live in a place where you can drive through redwoods or past a beach on your way home, but how many people can enjoy that in other states? Do you think that parts of Texas aren't gentrified, if so take a look at the prices in Austin.

I live in Sacramento, I'm 10 minutes away from a number of parks where I can walk down paths canopied with beautiful trees, go to either the American or Sacramento rivers, and Tahoe (which you seem to take great pleasure in calling 'overrated') is two hours away, Bodega Bay less than a 3 hour drive, we live cheap enough in Sacramento that we put a good chunk of our retirement checks into investments, I would guess that our COL is around 40k a year. One of my sons lives in Martinez adjacent to the Carquinez straits with great views and wonderful walking and hiking trails, he's 45 minutes away from San Francisco and two hours from Monterey. His rent- $950 a month for a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment, hardly the digs of the rich and famous, but it's no crumbling ghetto either.

I get it that some people prefer Texas, I have no problem with that, but here's what I don't understand. On the Texas forum people seem to be involved in discussing Texas, not constantly putting it down while claiming that some other state is infinitely better in every conceivable way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
For the record, I don't select Texas as a state to pick on. Personally, I would love to be able to visit the California forum and just talk about things relevant to our state.
Then walk like you talk.

Why start a post mentioning Texas and then come back and post the above?
Quote:
I wonder how long it will be before the California haters come running back from Texas when they discover the grass wasn't exactly greener in other cow pastures. Don't get me wrong, I hope they leave and don't come back. The state prefers innovators, not whiners. But I sure would love to be there when reality bites these guys in the butt.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
personal attacks aside, 10 years ago, CA was a boom in the area I lived. No, I wasn't a "loser" since I'd owned my home for longer than 10 years. But in 2005, when it was appraised pending a divorce settlement, it was appraised at $550,000. I sold in 2010 for $235,000. It just resold for $220,000 about 6 months ago.
You are correct to point out that many people did not over extend themselves with a home purchase--as the OP states--but lost $ with upswings and downturns in the CA real estate market for a variety of reasons. Some of it is simply bad luck. (For example, job transfer out of state during a RE downturn, after purchasing at a market peak.) For the OP to assume that everyone whose home declined in value after purchase has a "meth lab next door" is ridiculous.

Quote:
IMO most of the people who did got what they deserved. They weren't people who bought a home. They were people who gambled money they didn't have to play a risky game and they lost. The day traders of real estate, who were very much responsible for the bubble in the first place. Legitimate homeowners who buy within their means and can ride out short term market fluctuations can do well in CA.
You have a limited view of the financial risks of home ownership. No one has a crystal ball to predict future prices in residential real estate.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But in 2005, when it was appraised pending a divorce settlement, it was appraised at $550,000. I sold in 2010 for $235,000. It just resold for $220,000 about 6 months ago.
So current prices are no where near past peak prices? This assumption isn't even adjusting for inflation

Old 09-17-2015, 01:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Guess it all depends where in the State...

Many Bay Area communities have surpassed the bubble prices... some have not.

I've tracked a number of SF East Bay property and a solid 50% price appreciation can be documented over the last 3 years... incredible as it sounds.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not putting words in your mouth...

ok, so now the criteria is 'swing by on the way home'. Of course most people don't live in a place where you can drive through redwoods or past a beach on your way home, but how many people can enjoy that in other states? Do you think that parts of Texas aren't gentrified, if so take a look at the prices in Austin.

I live in Sacramento, I'm 10 minutes away from a number of parks where I can walk down paths canopied with beautiful trees, go to either the American or Sacramento rivers, and Tahoe (which you seem to take great pleasure in calling 'overrated') is two hours away, Bodega Bay less than a 3 hour drive, we live cheap enough in Sacramento that we put a good chunk of our retirement checks into investments, I would guess that our COL is around 40k a year. One of my sons lives in Martinez adjacent to the Carquinez straits with great views and wonderful walking and hiking trails, he's 45 minutes away from San Francisco and two hours from Monterey. His rent- $950 a month for a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment, hardly the digs of the rich and famous, but it's no crumbling ghetto either.

I get it that some people prefer Texas, I have no problem with that, but here's what I don't understand. On the Texas forum people seem to be involved in discussing Texas, not constantly putting it down while claiming that some other state is infinitely better in every conceivable way.
Almost everywhere in the country is within 3 hours of some nice outdoor area.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM

14 posts, read 24,260 times
I think many Californians have moved to the Portland area, the housing prices in Portland have went up so much now, and rent and house for sale are much higher here now then in the inland empire. I am going to move back to California where the prices are more reasonable

Old 12-22-2015, 05:35 PM

372 posts, read 576,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshk View Post
I think many Californians have moved to the Portland area, the housing prices in Portland have went up so much now, and rent and house for sale are much higher here now then in the inland empire. I am going to move back to California where the prices are more reasonable
C'mon back down!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
This reminds me that one of our notorious California / Bay Area rah rah boosters, LoriBee, has been absent from this forum or changed her handle. Sort of nice not having such repetitive overly optimistic rose colored noise.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This reminds me that one of our notorious California / Bay Area rah rah boosters, LoriBee, has been absent from this forum or changed her handle. Sort of nice not having such repetitive overly optimistic rose colored noise.
That's the problem with the tenor of this board? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California