Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 06:36 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Oh that's right. I forgot about those, but aren't you forced to draw out a certain amount that will then be taxed when you turn 70? My husbands IRA was taxed when he turned 70 and 1/2. Our CPA would tell us how much he had to withdraw to satisfy IRS every year. That amount was then taxed......not as much as our pensions though.
There are traditional IRAs where the amount you contribute is tax deferred until you withdraw the funds in retirement. Roth IRAs are not taxed, because you make contributions on after-tax income. The bonus for a Roth IRA is that while you do not get the tax advantage when you deposit funds, the earnings you make on the fund is not taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Millions of people love Texas and that's great because California would be in real trouble if they all hated it and tried to move here. So can't we just defend the places that we think are great without claiming that people who disagree are ignorant?
Amen.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
A house in Tyler, TX would at least QUADRUPLE in price if it were located in a city such as Tustin or Torrance thanks to decades of zoning restrictions and no-growth mandates from Sacramento's social engineering treehuggers who've essentially made TRULY affordable housing non-existent in large parts of the state, which certainly contributes to our worst in the country poverty rate, which should be impossible in a state with 5 of the top 25-30 universities in the nation within its borders.

Only the liberals could pull off that war on the middle class which is still in progress 30+ years and counting; they're just not middle-class friendly folks regardless of whatever comes out of their mouths.
You're wrong, what drives the cost of a house is what people are willing to pay for it and Tyler Texas ain't no San Francisco

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
A house in Tyler, TX would at least QUADRUPLE in price if it were located in a city such as Tustin or Torrance thanks to decades of zoning restrictions and no-growth mandates from Sacramento's social engineering treehuggers who've essentially made TRULY affordable housing non-existent in large parts of the state, which certainly contributes to our worst in the country poverty rate, which should be impossible in a state with 5 of the top 25-30 universities in the nation within its borders.

Only the liberals could pull off that war on the middle class which is still in progress 30+ years and counting; they're just not middle-class friendly folks regardless of whatever comes out of their mouths.
Spot on!

Quote:
So can't we just defend the places that we think are great without claiming that people who disagree with you are ignorant?
I know, right? Best are the ones who gripe that people are generalizing Texas, then they turn around and generalize California.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
You're wrong, what drives the cost of a house is what people are willing to pay for it and Tyler Texas ain't no San Francisco
SF is not the only place that housing costs are out of control. There are plenty of not as desirable places to live here in CA and you still would not be able to buy that type of house here for even a fraction of what it costs there.

My partners mother lives in a very nice gated community in Tyler. It's not as horrid as you make it out to sound. You just have a very narrow outdated perspective.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I know, right? Best are the ones who gripe that people are generalizing Texas, then they turn around and generalize California.
Both of you plus the poster I responded to about his generalizations are the only ones so far who are generalizing.

Have fun and continue on with it.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I wonder how much more disparity between the rich and the poor they need to observe in this state to finally see it?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Both of you plus the poster I responded to about his generalizations are the only ones so far who are generalizing.

Have fun and continue on with it.
Oh really? I guess you forgot you said this:

Quote:
I find that most Californians are very ignorant of most other states.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
SF is not the only place that housing costs are out of control. There are plenty of not as desirable places to live here in CA and you still would not be able to buy that type of house here for even a fraction of what it costs there. My partners mother lives in a very nice gated community in Tyler. It's not as horrid as you make it out to sound. You just have a very narrow outdated perspective.
My outlook is neither narrow or outdated and there's really no need to get snarky. It's ok to make your case for Texas but that doesn't give you license to make overly broad, inaccurate statements about California and then get angry when people disagree with you. The simple fact is that if enough people found Tyler Texas as desirable as San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego the cost of homes would be same as it is in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California