Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

One broadcaster caught himself as he was about to say "Undocumented" instead of Illegal Fireworks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
Yesterday there were small grass and brush fires all over the LA area I'm hearing on the radio. Big fires start out small. Not necessarily caused by fireworks but still.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:13 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
I am surprised to see that so many city data posters sheepishly and cluelessly defend dumb useless policies.

I am talking about state level approved fireworks stands. Not advocating to legalizing m80s, bottled rockets, commercial strength fireworks, etc.
Those had been will always be fired by enthusiasts regardless of the law. just like the poster from Oakland states.
One that complains fireworks after 10pm. For cities that merely say no to fireworks stands there is de facto no limit to firing m80s, bottled rockets, Roman candles, and firecrackers all night. The noise by the state approved stuff can be kept out by good windows and music unlike the explosive ones that sound louder than gun shots and set off car alarms miles away.

Undocumented lol. Kind of like making legal immigration harder would actually make a difference to illegal immigration. Yesterday I heard on the news that merely banning drugs such as marijuana only leads to a large unregulated black market which is more dangerous for the public.

The so many fires in LA have occurred in places that forbid the fund raisers from operating showing that depriving such fundraisers does nothing to prevent holiday fires.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:37 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am surprised to see that so many city data posters sheepishly and cluelessly defend dumb useless policies.
What? I had to go back and re-read everyone's post to understand what you're asking here. Except for maybe two people, I don't see the rest defending "dumb useless policies." I can't speak for anyone else here but personally, I'd rather people didn't try to create their own 4th of July extravaganza in front of their home. It's dangerous and not necessarily to them but rather to others who live around them. What goes up must come down and it could still be hot when it does. I've read enough stories of roof fires caused by fireworks. I don't want it happening to me. Trouble with that is, unless you are recording activity on a home cam, you can't prove who the culprit is which means you are relying on homeowner's insurance to pay for repairs.

More than the annoyance of it, how on earth are you supposed to stop it from going on? No one plays by the rules any longer. Surely, you have noticed that. Laws mean nothing to a good many in this state. And when those in charge are willing to look the other way, what's the alternative? You become a victim of society's majority of nut jobs. Sorry, don't mean to make my post sound confrontational but it does no good to gripe about anything here. Nothing changes so you must change with the times or find a better alternative for yourself. i.e. move away to find your own peace and quiet.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
I wish they'd ban them everywhere. There are firework stands all over Sac County and I know that the noises that have kept me up for the last three nights are not from the stuff they sell at those stands, but selling the "safe and sane fireworks" seems to give people cover to shoot guns and fire off their bottle rockets and m-80s most of the night

Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
Apparently everyone in city data just can't read or don't bother to read before they post or reply to a post. I see no one even bother reading a word of my replies.

Btw it takes only elementary skills to differentiate between gun shots, dangerous fireworks ie the m80s and a stand fireworks. Those explosions are much much more powerful.

Stand fireworks are not allowed to fire up into the air like display fireworks or the dangerous stuff.

And illegal dangerous ones are going to continue especially as we border Mexico which is a great source of them. But is just going to be a bigger market of them, when you outlaw whatever remains of the legal ones.

My point is that all the places I lived in that allowed fireworks stands are surprisingly much quieter than the ones that forbid them completely. The Fourth of July "war zones" I lived in all happened to think stopping fireworks stands resolves the issue. Which applies to most of SF Bay Area.
I don't like such war zones anymore than you guys.

While I don't like guns and had wished we could be like Asia where people can walk out at all hours without fear of violence, I now have the common sense that banning all guns or creating more gun free zones will do absolutely nothing to reduce gun violence in our area and is guaranteed instead to backfire.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-05-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
I cannot tell you how much I wish I lived in an area that banned consumer fireworks. There is nothing more obnoxious than some dimwits firing off their fireworks, blockbusters and cherry bombs to boot, until midnight or even later, when you have to get up and go to work the next morning.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:20 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I wish they'd ban them everywhere. There are firework stands all over Sac County and I know that the noises that have kept me up for the last three nights are not from the stuff they sell at those stands, but selling the "safe and sane fireworks" seems to give people cover to shoot guns and fire off their bottle rockets and m-80s most of the night
YES! Every damned night and tonight won't be any different than the past four in my neighborhood. Sick of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I cannot tell you how much I wish I lived in an area that banned consumer fireworks. There is nothing more obnoxious than some dimwits firing off their fireworks, blockbusters and cherry bombs to boot, until midnight or even later, when you have to get up and go to work the next morning.
It finally stopped around 1:30 this morning, here. It's ridiculous.

Those really loud ones (don't know what you call 'em) that rattle your windows are the worst. I know it bothers pets but I also wonder how Vets handle it. Must remind them of being back in the war. Too bad people don't even think of that.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
YES! Every damned night and tonight won't be any different than the past four in my neighborhood. Sick of it.
It finally stopped around 1:30 this morning, here. It's ridiculous.

Those really loud ones (don't know what you call 'em) that rattle your windows are the worst. I know it bothers pets but I also wonder how Vets handle it. Must remind them of being back in the war. Too bad people don't even think of that.
Our dogs don't get upset thank God but I do. This has gone on for three nights. I go to bed, the noise stops, I fall asleep and another volley starts and I'm wide awake. Two nights ago a creepy homeless couple was in our driveway with m-80's my husband went outside with his 12 gauge and asked them if they wanted to find out if his shotgun was louder than their fireworks you never saw two scrawny bums run so fast in your life. But it's not just weirdos, its also the neighbors directly behind us and they are definitely mixing gunfire into their fireworks display, but what can you do? If you call Sac sheriff they will tell you to fill out an online report

Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Apparently everyone in city data just can't read or don't bother to read before they post or reply to a post. I see no one even bother reading a word of my replies.
maybe people in city data don't respond because they don't like you telling them they can't read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California