Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM

608 posts, read 515,812 times

Advertisements

Even as a kid I thought the safe and sane type fireworks were boring. I always managed to find the fun kind for the fourth. You know, the exploding type, firecrackers to M-80's etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
My county bans fireworks. Has nothing to do with safety. Has everything to do with preventing forest fires.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:56 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
My point is to ask whether people on this board think the ban on legal consumer fireworks dumb and whether they hate cities for doing so?
No. Every year thousands of people suffer from injuries from fireworks. View them at one of the many fireworks displays throughout the state.

"....don’t be lulled into thinking “safe and sane” fireworks are not dangerous, said Ryan Cronin, chief investigator at the county Fire Department who showcased different types of fireworks at Monday’s event. Sparklers, for example, burn at about 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit; that’s 300 degrees above the melting point of glass and more than 600 degrees above the burning temperature for wood."

Fireworks more dangerous than ever, Bay Area fire departments warn – The Mercury News

Old 07-04-2017, 04:14 PM

19,205 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No. Every year thousands of people suffer from injuries from fireworks. View them at one of the many fireworks displays throughout the state.

"....don’t be lulled into thinking “safe and sane” fireworks are not dangerous, said Ryan Cronin, chief investigator at the county Fire Department who showcased different types of fireworks at Monday’s event. Sparklers, for example, burn at about 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit; that’s 300 degrees above the melting point of glass and more than 600 degrees above the burning temperature for wood."

Fireworks more dangerous than ever, Bay Area fire departments warn – The Mercury News

This is true and for those who don't believe it, check tomorrow's news and read the articles about someone who was injured or killed by fireworks.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
Though I don't see any data that shows cities or counties allowing regulated consumer fireworks stands having more fireworks related emergences to those who ban them outright. In fact many dangerous fireworks related incidents happen in juritications that refuse to permit non profit state approved fireworks stands. Some cities like Anaheim lifted its ban last year but there haven't been increased fires or injuries during the first year non profit stand fireworks are sold in the city compared to years before that. Hurray for Santa Ana's city council for rejecting the proposed ban on legal fireworks in Their city last year. This shows not all democrat city councils are those who take every opportunity to meddle. And Santa Ana is a majority Democrat city with a all democrat council makeup.

Cities and counties are just burying their heads in the sand in refusing to accept the fact that those who decide to use fireworks will use fireworks no matter what and it's pretty much unenforcable, though when you given these law abiding non profits that meet rigorous safety standards the boot you just drive the underground market of dangerous fireworks much bigger resulting in a much more dangerous situation all around. Kind of like banning a specific type of gun one by one by do gooders. While I don't support personal gun ownership I know that this goes against common sense and won't improve anything.

Fireworks approved by the people's republic "nanny state of CA" are much safer than BBQs, bonfires, lighters, burning tobacco products, stoves, and even that burning marshmallow in the campfire. They are not sells the ones ie m80s on the streets your neighbors may set off that produce super loud bangs that set off car alarms and possibly blowing off unluckybody parts, launch up hundreds of feet in the air or sideways, or shoot fire 50 feet high off street level. No municipal government have the power to legalize those even if they wantd ti.The sparklers temperature argument is very weak as the tip of a match not to mention a lighter burns up to 2000 degrees during ignition. A tip of cigarette butt burns hotter than sparkler. So does most other things involving fire we may use during the holiday. Maybe we ought to ban the sales of all these items too?

These bans are kind of like how the state and many cities within wrote pages of bureaucracy aka sb270 or it's local equivalent on a something that only account for 0.4% of the waste stream but greatly help control the other 99.6%.

Obviously if fire danger is high all other fire making activities would be curtailed as well there would be no need for a specific ban on non profits trying to raise funds. Surprisingly cities near dry hillsides in the state are more likely to permit fireworks stands than cities close to the coast with no dry grass and constant high humidity due to the marine layer.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-04-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 10:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,779,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
We had an impromptu show of illegal fireworks that started at 1 a.m. this morning. It went on for so long that one of my neighbors actually hopped in his car to go find it--they've been fighting about it on the local webpage all day.

Between that and the all-day news stories of various legal fireworks stands being robbed, I'm ready for the whole thing to end.
I don't have to drive to find one. It's right next door. It's been going on for days. I can't stand the noise. It should be banned except for public display.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:08 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't have to drive to find one. It's right next door. It's been going on for days. I can't stand the noise. It should be banned except for public display.
FYI Those type of fireworks you two mentioned are already officially verboten at the federal and state level. Though people still get them in masses from the black market. Neighborhoods sounds like war zones all night on such weekends because of those who use such fireworks. Though from what I experienced neigherhoods where a legal fireworks stand operate are much quieter on such weekends. How ironic. It appears we can fight fireworks with fireworks. Just like how we can fight fire with fire.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,779,489 times
My city allows firework until 10PM. It is gradually slowing down a little bit at 10:47PM. Every time I thought finally my ******* neighbor is stopping then he starts the noise again.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:42 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
You would never know they are banned here... some spectacular night displays the last few hours all over East Oakland...

KTVU kept going to their rooftop camera and even said they have never seen anything quite like it... almost midnight and still going.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 AM

19,205 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Still poppin' in my area too which proves to me how disrespectful people are towards others who might have to work tomorrow and want some sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California