Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:31 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Perma Bear, I did this in Arcata. I was only able to because I found my skilled niche, and was able to live like a peasant, naturally. Jobs are very hard to get. If you did this, you must have some resumeable skills, money, and/or pure luck. If you haven't done this, then you are talking out of your you-know-what.

Job:People ratio. It's a thing, you know! Hard work does not change this ratio.
5% unemployment is also quite low. My job transfers anywhere in the United States and it's territories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 04:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
5% unemployment is also quite low.
1. By which metric?
2. If everyone that moved from the bay area to Sacramento/elsewhere moved to coastal towns all of the sudden, it would be much, much higher than 5%.
3. Employment =/= Good career trajectory
4. Employment =/= ability to afford preferred COL, nor baseline COL (although minimum wage in some of those towns might cover the latter, albeit barely)

Quote:
My job transfers anywhere in the United States and it's territories.
Gotcha. You didn't ask about yourself in the OP, though.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
1. By which metric?
2. If everyone that moved from the bay area to Sacramento/elsewhere moved to coastal towns all of the sudden, it would be much, much higher than 5%.
3. Employment =/= Good career trajectory
4. Employment =/= ability to afford preferred COL, nor baseline COL (although minimum wage in some of those towns might cover the latter, albeit barely)

Gotcha. You didn't ask about yourself in the OP, though.
If enough people move there there'll be a higher demand for housing which results in construction jobs, more demand for food so more restaurants, more demand for banks,hospitals, schools etc. this is why Los Angeles grew so well.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
If enough people move there there'll be a higher demand for housing which results in construction jobs, more demand for food so more restaurants, more demand for banks,hospitals, schools etc. this is why Los Angeles grew so well.
And that will pay their salary?

New people cannot create demand WITH THEIR MONEY greater than the sum of THEIR MONEY. Understand? The demand comes directly from the money they spend. A population cannot directly benefit from their own demand.

Will a group of rich people moving from LA stimulate the economy when they move to Arcata? Sure. But that's because they're taking their to-be-spent money from LA to Arcata. No net gain.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And that will pay their salary?

New people cannot create demand WITH THEIR MONEY greater than the sum of THEIR MONEY. Understand? The demand comes directly from the money they spend. A population cannot directly benefit from their own demand.

Will a group of rich people moving from LA stimulate the economy when they move to Arcata? Sure. But that's because they're taking their to-be-spent money from LA to Arcata. No net gain.
So you're saying we're just as wealthy as we were in 1900? 1800? 1700? Cool. I guess I should go to work on my horse.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
So you're saying we're just as wealthy as we were in 1900? 1800? 1700? Cool. I guess I should go to work on my horse.
Yeah, yeah. I get your "argument". The economy is not zero-sum.

We're not talking about improvements in technology or extraction of natural resources (these increase wealth, thus not zero-sum). We're talking about people moving from place to place (zero-sum).

So if I move from LA to Arcata, THAT'S gonna invent the automobile?

Please stick to the discussion, instead of ranting about mostly-irrelevant economic theory.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
Arcata is isolated, cold, and wet. The other cities you listed are isolated from any major happenings too and have poorly performing schools and are basically agriculture towns. People who want to live in a city with its amenities are going to choose to live in a city in another state before they move to a backwater part of coastal California.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Arcata is isolated, cold, and wet. The other cities you listed are isolated from any major happenings too and have poorly performing schools and are basically agriculture towns. People who want to live in a city with its amenities are going to choose to live in a city in another state before they move to a backwater part of coastal California.
Los Angeles and the Bay Area were isolated too. There are people leaving Los Angeles and he Bay Area. They would be better off in these places where they can keep the same weather.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 08-30-2017 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles and the Bay Area were isolated too. There are people leaving Los Angeles and he Bay Area. They would be better off in these places where they can keep the same weather.
Well, you're right there. IMO, it's just a matter whether or not they believe they can have a good career in a smaller, more isolated town. Most people from those cities probably don't think so.

Other's probably don't believe so or don't care, and have actually moved to those towns you speak of!

Then, it's just a matter of if they can get a job.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well, you're right there. IMO, it's just a matter whether or not they believe they can have a good career in a smaller, more isolated town. Most people from those cities probably don't think so.

Other's probably don't believe so or don't care, and have actually moved to those towns you speak of!

Then, it's just a matter of if they can get a job.
I'd rather try my shot at that than move to some place with horrible weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California