Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, that May Gray and June Gloom definitely make it to the IE. I've been there when that happened. I didn't know it made it all the way to Palm Springs at times. That's interesting.
Sometimes the marine layer even tries to spill into the high desert. I remember being in Palmdale one day in May of 07, the whole LA Area south of the San Gabriel's was socked in with a Catalina Eddy, and where we were in Palmdale, saw the clouds spilling over the San Gabriel's and not evaporating until getting almost to the bottom of the foothills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's a good point.

But if someone is considering Phoenix, Redding is clearly not as bad. Phoenix has the worst "urban heat island" effect in America. Low temperatures in summer are now about 12 degrees hotter than they were before World War 2, and only 2 of those degrees are attributed to climate change. Typical 4AM to 6AM lows in PHX are around 80 in July. But often, the low is higher than that. There are several times a year where the morning low is 90 degrees. Phoenix really needs to do things to mitigate the urban heat island (yes there are things that can be done), but that's another thread.
Yikes! I'd be absolutely miserable. Even being in Redding, it was like getting cabin fever from being stuck inside. Maybe everyone just goes to walk in the malls in Phoenix? Indoor dog parks?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I have a hard time believing that Redding gets almost 4,000 hrs of sunshine, especially since it gets so wet in the winter, it's only slightly drier than Portland and Seattle, but that's only because Redding is drier in summer, but the winters are just as rainy, and yet has no winter gloom, even SLC with a wet winter/dry summer pattern but with significantly less rain gets some winter gloom and only manages to get around 3,000 hrs.

List of cities by sunshine hours and rainy days from Nov-Feb

Reno: 799.3 hrs | 25.3 days | 31.59 hrs/day
Redding: 937 hrs | 38.8 days | 24.15 hrs/day
Sacramento: 682.8 hrs | 36.5 days | 18.71 hrs/day
Salt Lake City: 554 hrs | 38.5 days | 14.39 hrs/day
Boise: 486 hrs | 41.9 days | 11.60 hrs/day
Spokane: 329.2 hrs | 50.7 days | 6.49 hrs/day
Portland: 345 hrs | 70.5 days | 4.89 hrs/day
Walla Walla: 241.9 hrs | 50.6 days | 4.78 hrs/day

So I just have a hard time believing that Redding never falls below 200 hrs per month, even Reno falls bellow 200 hrs in winter.
Redding was not very wet the winter I was there (2013/2014).

Maybe what needs to be taken into account are overcast days?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Redding was not very wet the winter I was there (2013/2014).

Maybe what needs to be taken into account are overcast days?
That's why I can't help but question the claim that Redding is sunnier than Phoenix.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM

363 posts, read 557,372 times
I live in Willows which is not far from Redding and I have to say while July and August are SCORCHING HOT. it's nothing compare to the Arizona and Texas heat. We can walk around in the late afternoons/sunsets and mornings.

By September and October our temps are already falling to really pleasant temps. Our winters are also cold and we get LOTS OF RAIN! Plus we have the wonderful Sacramento River and it's feather rivers. And of course not far from the Coast.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
I live in Willows which is not far from Redding and I have to say while July and August are SCORCHING HOT. it's nothing compare to the Arizona and Texas heat. We can walk around in the late afternoons/sunsets and mornings.

By September and October our temps are already falling to really pleasant temps. Our winters are also cold and we get LOTS OF RAIN! Plus we have the wonderful Sacramento River and it's feather rivers. And of course not far from the Coast.
Yeah so much depends on a person's perspective and experience. I'm from the Seattle (mild, cool, rainy, gray climate) area, currently living in Kuwait (much hotter and drier than anywhere in the USA (yes even Phoenix)), and lived and worked in Moscow and Ulanbator, Mongolia where is gets -40, and lived in New Orleans with hot humidity.

To me, Redding seems like a sweet spot where you get some of everything....rainy cool winter, hot & dry summer, and a heavy dose of sun. The July average of 98F high and 66F low just doesn't sound too bad to me. The mix of heat, sun and water seems a good mix...no?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Yeah so much depends on a person's perspective and experience. I'm from the Seattle (mild, cool, rainy, gray climate) area, currently living in Kuwait (much hotter and drier than anywhere in the USA (yes even Phoenix)), and lived and worked in Moscow and Ulanbator, Mongolia where is gets -40, and lived in New Orleans with hot humidity.

To me, Redding seems like a sweet spot where you get some of everything....rainy cool winter, hot & dry summer, and a heavy dose of sun. The July average of 98F high and 66F low just doesn't sound too bad to me. The mix of heat, sun and water seems a good mix...no?
While that may be too hot for some folks, I agree it sounds nice. If Redding just weren't such a small place so far from other places...

Old 04-04-2018, 05:20 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
For perspective, I've lived the last 2 years in Kuwait (still here but leaving soon) which has an average daily high of 18F higher than Reding and nightime daily high of 21F warmer than Redding in July and has 7 months hotter than the hottest month in Redding....so the temps in Redding do not look like the brutal heat monster that so many people on CD are claiming to me.

The temps where you live I actually wouldn't mind but it would freeze my wife to death and we both love the sun. The things about Redding that are appealing to us are the sun hours, lakes, rivers, mountain views, trails, biking opportunities, long swim season, trees, proximity to the coast, enough rain for trees but not too much, right libertarian leanings of the populace, and reasonable cost of living. The negatives would be the homeless meth heads, a bit remote to a major airport, and it's in a high tax and over regulated (in our opinion) state.
We have some friends that live about 5 miles outside of Redding at about 1500 feet near Whiskeytown. Awesome views and they are more concerned about bears getting into their garbage cans than homeless tweekers. Like someone posted, the homeless hang out in certain zones (not to say that can't go anywhere) but if you get a little bit out of town, you pretty much have no problem.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
While that may be too hot for some folks, I agree it sounds nice. If Redding just weren't such a small place so far from other places...
Try Sacramento. It's not small. It's not far from the Bay Area or Reno. The climate is slightly more moderate than Redding, and the amount of sunshine is only about 10% less. Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference in sunshine between Sacramento and Redding.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Try Sacramento. It's not small. It's not far from the Bay Area or Reno. The climate is slightly more moderate than Redding, and the amount of sunshine is only about 10% less. Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference in sunshine between Sacramento and Redding.
I would guess Sacramento is somewhat more moderate than Redding in the summer due to the marine influence being stronger there than Redding, plus the coastal range blocking the marine air from reaching Redding.

San Francisco to Sacramento: 88 miles

Eureka to Redding: 147 miles, plus coastal range

(mileage is highway miles, so there are some variables)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California