Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:18 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times

Advertisements

I don't think its absolutely NECESSARY but it probably feels good to some people especially if their situation improves by leaving.

I get the impression they think of it like a big FU to your Pointy Haired Boss and subversive co-workers on your way out the door when you finally quit that crappy job that has been toxic for a long time. That's the sound of freedom and new beginnings, friends! I get it. We've all been there.

I'm a Bay Area native but my home was destroyed in the Immigration Holocaust and my tribe was displaced so I don't have or feel much of a connection to that anymore. But life goes on. I'll always have my memories. Nobody can take that glory of a better time away from me.

Will I post something uber snarky the day the house is packed up and we hit the road for Green Acres? I don't know. But I do know this: if I'm leaving, I will be doing it with a smile and a happy heart, ready to write the next chapter of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:26 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I get the impression they think of it like a big FU to your Pointy Haired Boss and subversive co-workers on your way out the door when you finally quit that crappy job that has been toxic for a long time. That's the sound of freedom and new beginnings, friends! I get it. We've all been there.
I haven't been “there”. Of course, I was mostly self employed after the military years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
... if I'm leaving, I will be doing it with a smile and a happy heart, ready to write the next chapter of my life.
Well, good to hear. Because your posts up to now sure don't reflect any smiling happiness.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:49 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
You can't leave, Derek. If you do, there won't be anyone left to take all the beautiful photos you post. Sorry. It's not gonna happen.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 AM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
* Hint, the title is a question. Thanks for your contributions, however.

Derek
Uh huh. Yeah, that changes everything

And often times "the big scene" is simply some constructive criticism seen by overly sensitive people as an attack. I'd also say it's a bit of a straw man to make such a big deal out of such a small percentage of posts. But feel free to prove me wrong by pointing out the multitude of these so-called ranting posts (I'm guessing you might find 1 or 2 in the last 10 to 20 pages of posts). Do you often create a villain like this out of such a small minority of posts?

Thanks

Last edited by Independentthinking; 01-31-2018 at 04:55 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The people that bash California on their way out couldn’t make it and are bitter. It’s like the guy at the bar who strikes out all night then talks sh** about the girls.
Unfortunately, there are just as many overly sensitive people that are bothered by constructive criticism that use comments like yours as a way of avoiding a conversation. Kinda like the people who can't refute a comment so they use the classic "haters gonna hate" to get out of a conversation. A cowardly approach. There are plenty of reasons people leave. Many of which have nothing to do with "bitterness".

Last edited by Independentthinking; 01-31-2018 at 04:35 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think your thread title is both condescending and rather obtuse, for someone who claims to have read C-D for a number of years.

As long as we're passing out hints, here's one for you: This entire site is about other places one might like to live and moving issues. It's beyond stupid to complain that people talk about their moves and to critique the tone in which they do it.
Although I think the rants are few and far between (which really illustrates even more the sensitivity of people), I do agree with the comment in bold.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Then what does your screen name mean??
It's shorter than CASince1960, I guess.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
As long as we're passing out hints, here's one for you: This entire site is about other places one might like to live and moving issues. It's beyond stupid to complain that people talk about their moves and to critique the tone in which they do it.
Good morning, Merry Sunshine.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I lived in ca all my life and never considered leaving until recently. I always believed it was just a huge let down to live anywhere else and believe me I'd be the first to wave the "California is always a better place to be" flag.
But honestly it was ignorance on my part because I had never really explored what it was like in other states. Once I did I wrote out many scenarios of my life staying or leaving.

I didn't announce it on cd that I was moving, I just did it.
Ca is a great place to live, but expensive so it really depends on what you want in life.
For me the advantages of living in California no longer outweighed the advantages of living elsewhere.
I now live in a 5000 sq ft dream house that I couldn't afford to buy in the Bay Area. My cost to live in it is about 1/5th the monthly piti that I would pay in the Bay Area.
With the lower col I was also able to quit working and live a very comfortable life with plenty of money to travel or do whatever. In California I would probably still have to work. While the Bay Area is a better place to live imho, it is only maybe 10 to 15 percent better to than where I am now, and that is purely subjective. I have pretty much every amenity to make me happy.

So to the idiot that said people who leave can't cut it in California, I'd bet I have a much better quality of life than they do while not having to work at all. The lower col allowed me to retire early and enjoy life.

But their stubborn pride and need to feel superior than the rest of the people who don't live in California or their need to validate their situation is really quite possibly detrimental to their life. They could be looking at other options which might actually lead to a better life over all.

Btw mtn surfer, nice pics!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:27 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Sometimes CA is the best and some times it isn't. Like when we were getting the fire smack down I wanted to be anywhere but here. Or the Easter quake, or SMELL A riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California