Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

I'm not leaving quietly.

I'm not leaving at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think your thread title is both condescending and rather obtuse, for someone who claims to have read C-D for a number of years.

As long as we're passing out hints, here's one for you: This entire site is about other places one might like to live and moving issues. It's beyond stupid to complain that people talk about their moves and to critique the tone in which they do it.
Well, as someone who loves the state, I think its completely absurd to complain about what a terrible place CA is and not expect some to disagree. There have been so many rant threads about CA going down the liberal toilet bowl, etc... for years. To assume that some won't strongly disagree is naive at best. Try posting threads about Texas going down the toilet on the TX forum as see how locals respond.

I'm not saying all threads about moving are bad at all. I just don't see the point in completely ragging on a place right before leaving if that makes any sense. Though I certainly don't expect all to agree.

Derek

Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'm not leaving quietly.

I'm not leaving at all.
Haha, Hey Mutt! I think I may be moving to your 'other' home away from home. We'll see.

Derek

Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Haha, Hey Mutt! I think I may be moving to your 'other' home away from home. We'll see.

Derek
Stay in touch, bub

If you can convince the missus, you could keep a foot in both Puget Sound and Monterey Bay ... but not too many folks are cut out to live on a boat even part time. That said, the marina at Moss Landing is real affordable and allow live aboards (there's a wait list to qualify ... but it's not very long). Then you're right at the Elkhorn for kayaking. Maybe you'd like to buy up north and keep a boat to stay on in Monterey Bay.

I-5 side of Puget Sound is challenging San Francisco for housing price growth. Brutal market ... Bellingham is sweet though and more affordable than Seattle. My favorite is Pt. Townsend on the Olympic side, which I assume you've visited? More affordable than Bellingham, and slower growing. Best of the best anywhere I've ever been in the world. About a ½ hour drive from PT is Marrowstone Island. If I was going to buy a land home, that would be the spot in Washington. Gotta love those Olympics.

I sure am loving my move to San Diego and Morro Bay, though. The drive back and forth to balance city / country time ain't too bad despite how I despise LA. I run up in the way early and cut over at
LAX to Malibu and drive that coastline at sunrise.

Winters up north are too depressing for me.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
I left California once and couldn't wait to get back.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Stay in touch, bub

If you can convince the missus, you could keep a foot in both Puget Sound and Monterey Bay ... but not too many folks are cut out to live on a boat even part time. That said, the marina at Moss Landing is real affordable and allow live aboards (there's a wait list to qualify ... but it's not very long). Then you're right at the Elkhorn for kayaking. Maybe you'd like to buy up north and keep a boat to stay on in Monterey Bay.

I-5 side of Puget Sound is challenging San Francisco for housing price growth. Brutal market ... Bellingham is sweet though and more affordable than Seattle. My favorite is Pt. Townsend on the Olympic side, which I assume you've visited? More affordable than Bellingham, and slower growing. Best of the best anywhere I've ever been in the world. About a ½ hour drive from PT is Marrowstone Island. If I was going to buy a land home, that would be the spot in Washington. Gotta love those Olympics.

I sure am loving my move to San Diego and Morro Bay, though. The drive back and forth to balance city / country time ain't too bad despite how I despise LA. I run up in the way early and cut over at
LAX to Malibu and drive that coastline at sunrise.

Winters up north are too depressing for me.
We're actually considering some snowbirding options ourselves if we do go north. It seems like a good way to enjoy the area while taking needed breaks to sunnier locations. We'll most likely take it in stages with that as a strong possibility. It would be great to be somewhere warmer in the Winter and then enjoy the glorious PNW when the sun starts to break out. All that water makes for an amazingly green and beautiful place. We love the hiking, waterfalls, lakes, rivers, Sound, Cascades, Olympics, etc...

We have friends who moved to Poulsbo which is not too far from Pt. Townsend. We've visited it and really like the area - close to Seattle but not too crowded. The Sound is a good separator from the masses of Seattle. This is similar to why we like Monterey. We're just far enough outside San Jose that people don't want to commute. And there is plenty of wide open space.

We also have family in Vancouver, WA and really like the Gorge area as well. So we'll see. Its all just exploratory at this stage. There is something about the PNW that always brings us back. I have a strong sense that CA will be the same way if we do go. We still have family here and so will definitely be taking strips south.

Regarding the boating, I'm not sure I could convince her about living on one. When I've mentioned the idea in passing she thought I was crazy! haha We may look into a camper at some point.

Did you sell your place up there?

Derek

Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
I'm on the verge of leaving myself. I narrowed down the choices to a few cities but I figured that i could start my life over with a lower cost of living. I think i ran my course with California. If I do move, there's no other place that can compare to it but my check book will thank me for it.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,269 times
Sometimes people like to vent out on City Data even after they already left California

By the way those are really beautiful pics

Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I'm on the verge of leaving myself. I narrowed down the choices to a few cities but I figured that i could start my life over with a lower cost of living. I think i ran my course with California. If I do move, there's no other place that can compare to it but my check book will thank me for it.
Yes, COL is a big factor for many. It was the first time we left with the birth of our third child. CO was just too cold and too far removed from 'any' coast for us. I used to dream of the ocean while living there, literally. Once I saw a seagull and thought I was hallucinating! But the Rocky Mountains are amazing and we do have CA friends and family who moved there and still love it.

The key is figuring out what higher quality of life means for 'you' vs. others including friends and family. Everyone is unique in the things they prefer to call home in addition to those things they are willing to give up (e.g. ocean, mountains) and live with (cold, snow, heat, totally different culture). For some, no mountains or ocean is fine if they are near a lake or river. Maybe some rain and clouds are ok but no snow, etc... Others need a big city or more country living.

Derek

Old 01-30-2018, 11:52 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, as someone who loves the state, I think its completely absurd to complain about what a terrible place CA is and not expect some to disagree. There have been so many rant threads about CA going down the liberal toilet bowl, etc... for years. To assume that some won't strongly disagree is naive at best. Try posting threads about Texas going down the toilet on the TX forum as see how locals respond.

I'm not saying all threads about moving are bad at all. I just don't see the point in completely ragging on a place right before leaving if that makes any sense. Though I certainly don't expect all to agree.

Derek
The people that bash California on their way out couldn’t make it and are bitter. It’s like the guy at the bar who strikes out all night then talks sh** about the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California