Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 05:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Question is why is this tolerated and accepted in L.A? In other cities it’s not , yet this is just the norm in L.A .

All we hear from the top leaders is we need to give out more gift baskets and build more housing at $500k or more per unit for the homeless . Zero concern for public safety
How do you think it's "tolerated and accepted"? The only way to stop an assault like that would be to put a cop on every street corner, do you think the residents of LA would be willing to pay for that? I'm sure there's not a cop in the entire PD who would not want to get that woman off the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Antelope Valley
Needs lots of additional security, fencing and strict rules to help prevent vagrant crime and harm to innocent citizens and the community but it’s a start
https://www.dailynews.com/2017/12/24...re-shelter/eve Vance
From what I have read that the shelter you are talking about was built for the homeless in the Antelope Valley, I doubt if they built it large enough to accomodate the homeless in downtown LA

Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Look, you people, in the past 20 years, the only time I thought I may get into a physical altercation with somebody was when I was in my twenties and I was road raging against somebody who flashed his high beams at me and then things escalated from there to the point where I wanted him to pull over so I could kick his ass -- he messed with me on the wrong hour of the wrong day and I was not in the mood for any nonsense. Beyond that, I NEVER have problems with non-homeless people to the point where things may turn physical. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not small either, and hooligans can find much easier targets

OTOH, over the past five or so years, I cannot remember all the times where I reached into my pocket for my police grade pepper spray because I believed things would get nasty with a crazy homeless person, such as the case where a guy became very belligerent and threatened me because he thought I wanted to steal his shoes, or the time a guy picked up a metal bludgeon and threatened me with it because he didn't like me making eye contact with him. And so forth, as stated in a previous post.

Those of you stating that homeless people, per capita, are no more violent than non-homeless are simply not correct, as I can attest by empirical analysis, as can most other residents of L.A. who have had too many negative experiences with the homeless lately. Although many homeless people are not crazy, there are quite a number who are and the incidence of crazies mixed into the homeless population is so high, these stories about people being assaulted are not simply rare anecdotes, but actually highly representative of a significant number of the homeless population.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:14 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Look, you people, in the past 20 years, the only time I thought I may get into a physical altercation with somebody was when I was in my twenties and I was road raging against somebody who flashed his high beams at me and then things escalated from there to the point where I wanted him to pull over so I could kick his ass -- he messed with me on the wrong hour of the wrong day and I was not in the mood for any nonsense. Beyond that, I NEVER have problems with non-homeless people to the point where things may turn physical. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not small either, and hooligans can find much easier targets

OTOH, over the past five or so years, I cannot remember all the times where I reached into my pocket for my police grade pepper spray because I believed things would get nasty with a crazy homeless person, such as the case where a guy became very belligerent and threatened me because he thought I wanted to steal his shoes, or the time a guy picked up a metal bludgeon and threatened me with it because he didn't like me making eye contact with him. And so forth, as stated in a previous post.

Those of you stating that homeless people, per capita, are no more violent than non-homeless are simply not correct, as I can attest by empirical analysis, as can most other residents of L.A. who have had too many negative experiences with the homeless lately. Although many homeless people are not crazy, there are quite a number who are and the incidence of crazies mixed into the homeless population is so high, these stories about people being assaulted are not simply rare anecdotes, but actually highly representative of a significant number of the homeless population.
I’ll call your anecdote, and raise you mine:
I am around homeless people on a daily basis when I am in San Diego (the district I live in is one of the most dense with homeless). It was similar when I lived years in San Francisco. And I have never once, ever had any similar confrontations with homeless as you describe. Laughs, smiles, greetings ... yes. Threats? Never once. Never even get hit up for handouts.

We discussed this before, bub. You got something about you attracting that trouble.

This is not to say it’s all hunky-dory waltzing around the homeless on the streets. But if you can’t see trouble ahead, you should consider staying home. Most trouble is easy as hell to spot.

And, speaking of Spot ... get a big dog to walk with you maybe.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’ll call your anecdote, and raise you mine:
I am around homeless people on a daily basis when I am in San Diego (the district I live in is one of the most dense with homeless). It was similar when I lived years in San Francisco. And I have never once, ever had any similar confrontations with homeless as you describe. Laughs, smiles, greetings ... yes. Threats? Never once. Never even get hit up for handouts.

We discussed this before, bub. You got something about you attracting that trouble.

This is not to say it’s all hunky-dory waltzing around the homeless on the streets. But if you can’t see trouble ahead, you should consider staying home. Most trouble is easy as hell to spot.

And, speaking of Spot ... get a big dog to walk with you maybe.
Nope, that's not how it is here.

And in regards to avoiding trouble, I absolutely agree. Trouble is, when homeless people are lurking in the shadows, even somebody with good vision would need night vision goggles to spot them sometimes. And what's a person to do when walking along, say, Wilshire Blvd., since I just can't simply cross to the other side at the first sign of trouble?

And come on, you've never been hit up for handouts? Now I know you're pulling our legs. But have a nice evening anyway.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Nope, that's not how it is here.

And in regards to avoiding trouble, I absolutely agree. Trouble is, when homeless people are lurking in the shadows, even somebody with good vision would need night vision goggles to spot them sometimes. And what's a person to do when walking along, say, Wilshire Blvd., since I just can't simply cross to the other side at the first sign of trouble?

And come on, you've never been hit up for handouts? Now I know you're pulling our legs. But have a nice evening anyway.
Phbbt.

Walk where there’s light and no homeless about. Heyzeus man, common sense. You can do it! I don’t walk in dark alleys and streets ... and I pick my neighborhoods and routes ... and then there’s my dog, of course. Never leaves my side. Large animal too. Homeless guys love him mostly. And if he likes them, I’m good.

Nope. Homeless don't look to me for handouts. Although, sometimes they chat me up obliquely and I know they’re angling to see if I’ll “help ‘em out a bit”. . I do too, now and again.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Phbbt.

Walk where there’s light and no homeless about. Heyzeus man, common sense. You can do it! I don’t walk in dark alleys and streets ... and I pick my neighborhoods and routes ... and then there’s my dog, of course. Never leaves my side. Large animal too. Homeless guys love him mostly. And if he likes them, I’m good.

Nope. Homeless don't look to me for handouts. Although, sometimes they chat me up obliquely and I know they’re angling to see if I’ll “help ‘em out a bit”. . I do too, now and again.
Heyzeus man, homeless are everywhere in L.A., so it's not practical to simply avoid them. Like I said, can't simply bolt across Wilshire Blvd. as soon as I see one of these dementos hiding in a doorway or something.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Heyzeus man, homeless are everywhere in L.A., so it's not practical to simply avoid them. Like I said, can't simply bolt across Wilshire Blvd. as soon as I see one of these dementos hiding in a doorway or something.
Oh double phbbbt. 10,000,000 people in the county. 55,000 are homeless and only about less than 20,000 on the streets. “Everywhere” my tookus.

You attract them and their ire through a dynamic you exhibit. Draws em like flies and they don’t even know why. But I do.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Dementos like Dr. Demento? Sorry man, I’m old here.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Oh double phbbbt. 10,000,000 people in the county. 55,000 are homeless and only about less than 20,000 on the streets. “Everywhere” my tookus.

You attract them and their ire through a dynamic you exhibit. Draws em like flies and they don’t even know why. But I do.
They are everywhere. I know this because I live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles