Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgallion View Post
I'm with you on Louisville, I'd also look at San Antonio, I don't see Fresno at all, the last time I was there was in 2010. Tucson is also a place to look. I wonder why they didn't mention Eureka CA? (Affordable Pacific Northwest!)
San Antonio as well as El Paso would be too humid for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 10:54 AM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
Eureka has a pretty unique climate and would only appeal to people who really enjoy that cooler, misty, foggy coastal weather. I personally love it, but I can see how others may not enjoy it.

It’s also a pretty isolated (although beautiful) area, and it has the typical problems that rural areas like that have..impoverished population and drug use.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
San Antonio as well as El Paso would be too humid for me
El Paso has a dry, desert climate.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:28 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clgallion View Post
I'm with you on Louisville, I'd also look at San Antonio, I don't see Fresno at all, the last time I was there was in 2010. Tucson is also a place to look. I wonder why they didn't mention Eureka CA? (Affordable Pacific Northwest!)
I was wondering that as well. Of course it's not a comprehensive list. That's why I said 'or other locations.' But its kind of funny they left the PNW completely out including affordable towns within WA and OR. Someone mentioned the weather as a possible reason. Yet I could say the same for all in the list. It really depends what type of climate one prefers.

We actually like the PNW climate over other areas mentioned. From an affordability standpoint we would pick Olympia, Eugene and Salem. And for smaller towns Sheridan, Albany, Port Orchard and Newport Oregon.

We're actually planning a trip up there this summer to check out towns/neighborhoods. We do earn more than $60K and will be looking at other areas as well nearer Portland/Vancouver.

Derek

Old 05-28-2018, 12:38 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
But its kind of funny they left the PNW completely out including affordable towns within WA and OR.
Yeah, like Spokane.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Interesting, one more question about your neck of the woods. If given the opportunity to live *anywhere* in the Sacramento Valley where would you pick? Imagine for a moment cost not being a factor.

Derek

Look into the visalia area as well. Similar weather to chico, nice community, and you can do day trips to LA/central coast beaches.. Worst part about the Sacramento foothills is the distance.to good beaches.

Visalia view

Old 05-28-2018, 07:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Slightly biased here.

Fresno by a thread over Columbus. Mainly cause HSR is coming and I know it's going to do big things for the city.
I'm already seeing improvements and We still have ten years to go before completion. Columbus would easily win this if HSR wasn't coming, Fresno
would be the distant second. No to all the other cities.

ABQ would be my third choice if had to pick a third.

Lol at people hating on the Fresno heat, while ignoring the San Antonio, Tucson, vegas heat

You don't pay much attention to weather, do ya.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:16 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Worst part about the Sacramento foothills is the distance.to good beaches.
Not true, Placerville is closer to Pacifica than Visalia is to Pismo Beach.

Placerville to Pacifica is 2hrs 5mins

Visalia to Pismo is 2hrs, 30 mins

Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Fresno for sure. I am from there and lived there for many years, so I know I can live quite happily there.

But I will say that $60k would be pushing it, for a family. For a single person, it could work.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
El Paso has a dry, desert climate.
Compared to where I am in Idaho, it's more humid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California