Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

It has everything: diverse population, interesting and mostly open minded people, access to beaches, mountains, deserts, hiking, biking, skiing. Our families are here, our friends are here, and our jobs are here. And California always seems to be ahead of the rest of the country in terms of ideas, legislation, technology, food, entertainment, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Only thing going is the nice weather. But I can live in Arizona, Texas, or Florida for a fraction of the cost in California. And not going homeless if I miss a paycheck

Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 PM

292 posts, read 163,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yet another poster who equates LA/ IE as being CA as a whole.
Life might be crap in your less than .3% of the land mass of CA, but for the rest of us we don't face what you do. Think: 97% of CA is rural or wild. LA is not CA
What I love about CA is the mild four seasons, friendly people, clean air, low crime, lack of traffic, honest cops and fantastic scenery! The snow is nice too.You don't see this stuff in Texas.
CA is home and eastern CA is very special to us.
Um....Los Angeles never came to mind as being CA as a whole.
Not sure where you derived that from

I've mainly lived in Northern California most of my life.
Everything I said is true, and I live in THE BEST PART of California.
Or the top 5 areas for sure
Of course, not everyone will agree with me
We've traveled all over Calif and chose our current town we live in now as our permanent home.
Moved here 7 months ago
Sperlings & C/D was a great help.
Los Angeles Area has less smog yes, all because it all blows up here.
Except those 7 years when you couldn't breathe driving down I-5
Dusty cow-poop took over and you could see the brown in the air
Coughed and felt it going into my lungs
Luckily it's subsided after the drought overall, ended.
BUT THAT WAS BAD!!
We lived in LOS ANGELES are for a few years
Left 3 yrs ago
It doesn't hold a candle to Northern California

We are about 45 min-1 hr from SMOG
We have much clean water which is transported to LA area... though we pay double for the same water
Not that sharing isn't right but the cost seems unfair
This area is not nearly the wildfire risk as was our other house in Northern CA

Your electricity is cheaper too, as is the internet
We really enjoyed the ocean, theme parks, much cheaper healthy food, and the people were pretty nice
We are still friends with a few couples who visit us for one weekend a year

Last edited by SimpleSonya; 07-20-2018 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 AM

426 posts, read 353,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
Um....Los Angeles never came to mind as being CA as a whole.
Not sure where you derived that from

I've mainly lived in Northern California most of my life.
Everything I said is true, and I live in THE BEST PART of California.
Or the top 5 areas for sure
Of course, not everyone will agree with me
We've traveled all over Calif and chose our current town we live in now as our permanent home.
Moved here 7 months ago
Sperlings & C/D was a great help.
Los Angeles Area has less smog yes, all because it all blows up here.
Except those 7 years when you couldn't breathe driving down I-5
Dusty cow-poop took over and you could see the brown in the air
Coughed and felt it going into my lungs
Luckily it's subsided after the drought overall, ended.
BUT THAT WAS BAD!!
We lived in LOS ANGELES are for a few years
Left 3 yrs ago
It doesn't hold a candle to Northern California

We are about 45 min-1 hr from SMOG
We have much clean water which is transported to LA area... though we pay double for the same water
Not that sharing isn't right but the cost seems unfair
This area is not nearly the wildfire risk as was our other house in Northern CA

Your electricity is cheaper too, as is the internet
We really enjoyed the ocean, theme parks, much cheaper healthy food, and the people were pretty nice
We are still friends with a few couples who visit us for one weekend a year

holy crap Had a few too many to start the weekend?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:55 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
If I had to live in LA again, it would make me crazy. Ditto the SF Bay Area. Even though these are only tiny fractions of the total CA land area, they are the places that everyone fixates on.

A lot (most?) of the CA haters focus on the dreaded "librul" slant of the state government. It makes me want to run out to my NorCal back yard and kiss the soil every time I think about the atrocious social policies of the "red" states and current federal so-called government, who are not only encouraging but legislating racist, sexist and religious discrimination. I couldn't live in a place that did not protect the rights of women, ethnic minorities and LGBTQ individuals, that presumes that the poor and rich are where they are because they "deserve" it, that institutionalizes Christianity as a state religion, and sells the environment to the highest corporate bidder. CA isn't perfect, and Mr. Brown has done some truly distasteful things (Delta Tunnels = evil; high speed rail = good idea in theory, expensively botched in practice) but gosh, living in CA beats by a mile the truly terrifying things that are happening in much of the rest of the country.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
holy crap Had a few too many to start the weekend?
excuse me?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
1. Family is here
2.. Sierra Nevada
3. Beaches
4. Other than hot summers the weather is pretty tame and predictable.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
If I had to live in LA again, it would make me crazy. Ditto the SF Bay Area. Even though these are only tiny fractions of the total CA land area, they are the places that everyone fixates on.

A lot (most?) of the CA haters focus on the dreaded "librul" slant of the state government. It makes me want to run out to my NorCal back yard and kiss the soil every time I think about the atrocious social policies of the "red" states and current federal so-called government, who are not only encouraging but legislating racist, sexist and religious discrimination. I couldn't live in a place that did not protect the rights of women, ethnic minorities and LGBTQ individuals, that presumes that the poor and rich are where they are because they "deserve" it, that institutionalizes Christianity as a state religion, and sells the environment to the highest corporate bidder. CA isn't perfect, and Mr. Brown has done some truly distasteful things (Delta Tunnels = evil; high speed rail = good idea in theory, expensively botched in practice) but gosh, living in CA beats by a mile the truly terrifying things that are happening in much of the rest of the country.
The truth is, many people have no clue thus no comparison can be made
Alaska appears the only state where you can still be free

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I can buy liquor on Sundays at the local grocery store, can't do that in Texas.
I also appreciate how much more public space there is in CA verus my home state of Texas.
I appreciate that property taxes do not rise dramatically when property values go up, unlike my home state of Texas.
The UC and State Universities are some of the best public universities in the Country.
The weather and the landscape go without saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The consumer protections
This is one many people don't consider when they go on rants about there being too many laws on the books, when the laws are actually in the favor of the common citizen. Corporations and govt entities for the most part can't take advantage of the little guy.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:59 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

Are you sure you don't live in Berkeley??? Good lord you have a twisted view of red states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California