Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 PM

21,742 posts, read 16,369,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I never said that homeless people should be drowned or shoved out of an helicopter. Furthermore, which arguments have I not framed logically, in your opinion?
You did, and you know I can go to the LA homeless thread and pull out the quotes from your posts.

Read above reply to OC’s post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ad hominems do not necessarily display weakness. Another foolish fallacy. Ad hominems can be correct and can be applied to even the strongest position, simply displaying disdain. Do you ever think before you blurt these things out?

Furthermore, what you label ‘ad hominems’ from me are frequently not. Sometimes they are direct rebuttal to claims of validation. Sometimes they are instructive, even.

Now, read Exitus’ original claim again ... and tell me how many errors of premises there are in this one sentence:

Hint: Each of the three premises are faulty.

Exitus has reported he is college educated.
Exitus has framed his statements as logical premises.
Each of the three parts of his statement fails to meet the standard of truth required to be used as an agreed premise.

The possibility of lazy intellect rears its head.

ALL of those three statement parts require specificity to be true ... no such specificity has been supplied ... which renders statistics useless.
Hint:

Then attack his argument, not his person. I’ll help. The purpose of prison as it is understood presently is to punish. There is a silly movement to go towards pure rehabilitation, but neither of those motivations is toi keep people imprisoned is to stop them from recommitting. That might be a beneficial side effect, however.

As for ad hominems not showing weakness, you’re wrong.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:

Hint: Each of the three premises are faulty.

Exitus has reported he is college educated.
Exitus has framed his statements as logical premises.
Each of the three parts of his statement fails to meet the standard of truth required to be used as an agreed premise.

The possibility of lazy intellect rears its head.

ALL of those three statement parts require specificity to be true ... no such specificity has been supplied ... which renders statistics useless.
Criminals commit crime. That's why they're called criminals. So you put criminals in a community, and crime results. That's called inductive reasoning -- it began with my hypothesis, I supported it, and I therefore reached my inductive conclusion.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
You did, and you know I can go to the LA homeless thread and pull out the quotes from your posts.

Read above reply to OC’s post.
Go ahead and show me where I stated anywhere on these forums that homeless people should be thrown out of helicopters.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Hint:

Then attack his argument, not his person. I’ll help. The purpose of prison as it is understood presently is to punish. There is a silly movement to go towards pure rehabilitation, but neither of those motivations is toi keep people imprisoned is to stop them from recommitting. That might be a beneficial side effect, however.

As for ad hominems not showing weakness, you’re wrong.
Lol, OC. Lawyers and judges try, win, and ajudicate cases all the time by including attacks (ad hominem) on defendants’ and witnesses’ characters. When they win, doing so is not a weakness.

Now then, the purpose of prison is not singular ... it is multifold:
1. Deterrence
2. Retribution
3. Rehabilitation
4. Incapacitation

Inductive reasoning, as Exitus claimed to be presenting, is a process of making broad generalizations from specific observations.
Quote:
Basically, there is data, then conclusions are drawn from the data. This is called inductive logic.

"In inductive inference, we go from the specific to the general. We make many observations, discern a pattern, make a generalization, and infer an explanation or a theory,"
What Exitus provided, however, were three generalizations without specificity. What Exitus delivered was neither ‘inductive’ nor ‘deductive’ reasoning for his conclusion.

I am sorta sideways complimenting Exitus when I respond that he seems to be smarter than his lazy thinking habits. He, and you, both, strike me as having minds that shouldn’t be limited to many of the things you guys regurgitate onto the forum.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Criminals commit crime. That's why they're called criminals. So you put criminals in a community, and crime results. That's called inductive reasoning -- it began with my hypothesis, I supported it, and I therefore reached my inductive conclusion.
That’s a poor attempt at ‘deductive’ reasoning, Exitus. Not ‘inductive’. And it fails either way. Because “criminals” is a broad generalization containing many very different sub-categories which do not act similarly. So you can’t generalize them correctly in the manner you are trying to.

Again, for example, murderers are criminals. Yet their rate of recidivism is near zero.
People are sentenced to prison quite often for involuntary manslaughter, as well, for deaths caused by their driving drunk. And rarely re offend. Many white collar criminals are busted for embezzlement ... and don’t re offend.

You also generalized that criminals are imprisoned because they have shown a proclivity for crime. Lots of people in prison don’t have a proclivity for crime beyond having made one stupid error.

You simply show a proclivity yourself for making fallacious generalizations.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and show me where I stated anywhere on these forums that homeless people should be thrown out of helicopters.
Ok, here you go:

Quote:
That bum ... should get a helicopter ride from Pinochet.

And I’ll throw in a couple bonus examples of you advocating violence against a broad class of people who are comprised of many individuals not fitting the profile you attack:

Quote:
Is this bum too simply defending himself? Sure doesn't look like it to me. Filthy animals like that should be removed from the civilised world, whether they're in prison for life or otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNhe3vF8Lbw

Quote:
It seems to be getting worse out there, folks. Stay safe.

Local student slashed in fight with homeless man - Santa Monica Daily Press

I saw the video report of this on television, and that poor kid looked and sounded like he wouldn't hurt a fly. That homeless cretin should be put down just like we put down any other sick animal that's a threat to society.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
That’s a poor attempt at ‘deductive’ reasoning, Exitus. Not ‘inductive’. And it fails either way. Because “criminals” is a broad generalization containing many very different sub-categories which do not act similarly. So you can’t generalize them correctly in the manner you are trying to.

Again, for example, murderers are criminals. Yet their rate of recidivism is near zero.
People are sentenced to prison quite often for involuntary manslaughter, as well, for deaths caused by their driving drunk. And rarely re offend. Many white collar criminals are busted for embezzlement ... and don’t re offend.

You also generalized that criminals are imprisoned because they have shown a proclivity for crime. Lots of people in prison don’t have a proclivity for crime beyond having made one stupid error.

You simply show a proclivity yourself for making fallacious generalizations.

No, you don't know what you're talking about. Furthermore, we were discussing criminals to whom Prop 47 applied, not people convicted of murder amd such, so that's really a case of you moving the goalpost.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Ok, here you go:

And I’ll throw in a couple bonus examples of you advocating violence against a broad class of people who are comprised of many individuals not fitting the profile you attack:

I was referring to one person, who committed a heinous crime against a 20-year-old college student who is now permanently disfigured. You implied that I want to throw homeless people in general out of helicopters, implicitly for being homeless, which I did not state anywhere.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Lol, OC. Lawyers and judges try, win, and ajudicate cases all the time by including attacks (ad hominem) on defendants’ and witnesses’ characters. When they win, doing so is not a weakness.

Now then, the purpose of prison is not singular ... it is multifold:
1. Deterrence
2. Retribution
3. Rehabilitation
4. Incapacitation

Inductive reasoning, as Exitus claimed to be presenting, is a process of making broad generalizations from specific observations.

What Exitus provided, however, were three generalizations without specificity. What Exitus delivered was neither ‘inductive’ nor ‘deductive’ reasoning for his conclusion.

I am sorta sideways complimenting Exitus when I respond that he seems to be smarter than his lazy thinking habits. He, and you, both, strike me as having minds that shouldn’t be limited to many of the things you guys regurgitate onto the forum.
Oh boy. Are you really this ignorant of when it is appropriate to use an ad hominem? Attacking the credibility of a defendant in a criminal or civil trial is not an ad hominem because his or her credibility is at issue. That is not the case when engaging in a debate. Go to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California