Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:03 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do these people not stop and think about what wages were 40 years ago? We paid on heck of a lot more % in property taxes than anyone does today. That's why 13 was created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:49 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,338 times
Everybody that is living on their own is paying property taxes. Even if you're renting, the taxes are baked in to the rent amount so they're still being paid. I think property taxes are a horrible way to do taxation but they exist almost everywhere so I have to pay them. I also pay income taxes but don't believe that I should have a deduction based on the number of years that I've paid them. That's what Prop 13 has in effect done.

If you're not paying the 1% + local assessments, you're being subsidized by those that are which means you aren't paying your fair share. As far as I know, prop 13 is fairly unique in how far it let the variance in the taxable value and the assessed value grow. If you continue to be on the receiving side of a subsidy like this, I can see why you wouldn't want it to go away but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't. Prop 5 is just insulting and does not deserve to pass. The people they should be giving a deduction to are those that don't have children since most of these property taxes are supposed to be going to the school systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
First want to congratulate you on your new home purchase. It's a nice feeling to know you don't have to ask permission to paint a wall purple (if you wish).

As for your comment about someone like me not paying my dues, I've been paying property taxes for 46 years. That doesn't mean I own the same home as I did then but I'm still paying. I wish my property taxes were based on the same rate as that first home, but they aren't. I guess I could complain about having to pay property taxes for schools when I no longer have children in school but I don't. I still pay property taxes for parks even though I don't utilize them because they aren't safe any longer. Same for roads I don't use that are supposed to maintained with those same taxes but aren't - which is why we're having to pay more tax for those.

So when you say that "us older people" haven't paid our dues, you really aren't thinking very logical. Property tax is the one thing that, even after your home is paid for, you must continue to pay until you die. When someone's been paying those taxes for 30, 40, 50 or more years, you can hardly say they haven't paid their dues.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Everybody that is living on their own is paying property taxes. Even if you're renting, the taxes are baked in to the rent amount so they're still being paid. I think property taxes are a horrible way to do taxation but they exist almost everywhere so I have to pay them. I also pay income taxes but don't believe that I should have a deduction based on the number of years that I've paid them. That's what Prop 13 has in effect done.

If you're not paying the 1% + local assessments, you're being subsidized by those that are which means you aren't paying your fair share. As far as I know, prop 13 is fairly unique in how far it let the variance in the taxable value and the assessed value grow. If you continue to be on the receiving side of a subsidy like this, I can see why you wouldn't want it to go away but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't. Prop 5 is just insulting and does not deserve to pass. The people they should be giving a deduction to are those that don't have children since most of these property taxes are supposed to be going to the school systems.
I'm well aware of what renters pay, as I was once a renter. One thing I didn't do was put holes in the walls, leave trash lying about after I moved or willfully destroy my landlord's investment as some renters do. I also pay income tax even though I'm retired. My small pension is subject to income tax in this state so I'm not receiving any subsidies to reside in my home or city. Not that it's really any of your business but to make a point, I pay 1.11% property tax so as you can see, I pay pretty close to what you're paying. I have a number of bonds and assessments for schools that I have to pay, too. And, as with Prop 13, both our taxes will go up this year because our counties will, no doubt, use the 2% rule to increase them. If we didn't have Prop 13, your county would be able to raise your taxes to whatever they see fit. That's the whole purpose of Prop 13; to cap the amount your county can raise them every year. I don't think you really understand that because if you did, you wouldn't be so misinformed and willing to rush for Prop 13's demise.

As for Prop 5. It really won't affect anything because as I posted earlier today, Prop 60 and 90 that were added in the 80's essentially are what Prop 5 is about except Prop 5 makes it statewide instead of within county lines. So, go ahead and vote no on it. It really won't change anything and the real focus should be on whether Newsom (if he wins the election) goes ahead with his comment about Prop 13 being "on the table." Jerry Brown once said that touching Prop 13 was committing political suicide. Let's see if he was right.

Lastly, I can guarantee you one thing. If Prop 13 is repealed, you're going to wish you still had it because your property taxes won't go down. The entire reason for Prop 13 was to stop government from raising property taxes every year and at a rate unsustainable for everyone. Once you give government power to take more money from you, they never give it back. But good luck with your line of thinking. I hope it works well for you in the future years.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:

Lastly, I can guarantee you one thing. If Prop 13 is repealed, you're going to wish you still had it because your property taxes won't go down. The entire reason for Prop 13 was to stop government from raising property taxes every year and at a rate unsustainable for everyone. Once you give government power to take more money from you, they never give it back. But good luck with your line of thinking. I hope it works well for you in the future years.
This was what drove Prop 13. The taxes went up and up and up and people were hurt. Now people want to get rid of it and ... people will get hurt again and again and again. They just have no idea how bad it was when Prop 13 was created.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of what renters pay, as I was once a renter. One thing I didn't do was put holes in the walls, leave trash lying about after I moved or willfully destroy my landlord's investment as some renters do. I also pay income tax even though I'm retired. My small pension is subject to income tax in this state so I'm not receiving any subsidies to reside in my home or city. Not that it's really any of your business but to make a point, I pay 1.11% property tax so as you can see, I pay pretty close to what you're paying. I have a number of bonds and assessments for schools that I have to pay, too. And, as with Prop 13, both our taxes will go up this year because our counties will, no doubt, use the 2% rule to increase them. If we didn't have Prop 13, your county would be able to raise your taxes to whatever they see fit. That's the whole purpose of Prop 13; to cap the amount your county can raise them every year. I don't think you really understand that because if you did, you wouldn't be so misinformed and willing to rush for Prop 13's demise.

As for Prop 5. It really won't affect anything because as I posted earlier today, Prop 60 and 90 that were added in the 80's essentially are what Prop 5 is about except Prop 5 makes it statewide instead of within county lines. So, go ahead and vote no on it. It really won't change anything and the real focus should be on whether Newsom (if he wins the election) goes ahead with his comment about Prop 13 being "on the table." Jerry Brown once said that touching Prop 13 was committing political suicide. Let's see if he was right.

If my property taxes go up they are insane to think theirs will go down. That's not how Govt works, especially in California. They'll be thanking GOD if they stay living here that they won't be taxed out of their house down the road. All they see, right now, is today. I'm paying less property tax than them today which they think "Isn't fair". They aren't taking into consideration history or our future. Millions of people bought houses in 2005-2007 that went upside down and were paying property taxes much higher than anyone until recently.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
If my property taxes go up they are insane to think theirs will go down. That's not how Govt works, especially in California. They'll be thanking GOD if they stay living here that they won't be taxed out of their house down the road. All they see, right now, is today. I'm paying less property tax than them today which they think "Isn't fair". They aren't taking into consideration history or our future. Millions of people bought houses in 2005-2007 that went upside down and were paying property taxes much higher than anyone until recently.
And the owners with a significantly lower property tax have been paying property taxes for years and the new residents are enjoying what they paid for and are ... paying nothing for it.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Insane is right Over the decades, there have been only a handful of years where I saw my property taxes go down. I thank Proposition 8 (1978) for that one, too. Even if it was a temporary reduction, it was very nice to know I wasn't paying more than I should.

All these propositions that were passed long ago were due to the same complaints being heard today. In my view, it isn't property taxes that are too high, it's the price of homes. Lumber and concrete don't cost that much and why can a house be built in another state for a third of the price than one in California? Property tax isn't the culprit here. Go after the ones setting the price on homes. $.02

Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
... Lumber and concrete don't cost that much and why can a house be built in another state for a third of the price than one in California? Property tax isn't the culprit here. Go after the ones setting the price on homes. $.02
Cost of land and labor ...

Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Cost of land and labor ...
Yes, there IS that.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Yes, there IS that.
And there is this alternative ...

511 Glover St, Charleston, WV 25302
2 beds 1 bath 1,290 sq ft

$3,500

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-40764?view=qv

No, the price is not a misprint ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California