Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times

Advertisements

It's done all the time what you do is get a roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So it would Appear from your math no one could afford to work in Disneyland and the place would fold. Yet that is not the case. Why is it not the case?
A friend I went to High School with always wanted to work at Disneyland. It was a dream for him to work there. He had built quite a resume working in sound for productions, corporate events. He opened up his own business as well working with sound and assisting with events. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago the opportunity opened up and he now works at Disneyland. He still works on the side and his wife works as well. They also have owned their home for many years so it is cheaper than rent.

You also have college kids working at Disneyland, Area youth, a lot of people working second jobs.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:26 PM

386 posts, read 327,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I worked at Disneyland as a teenager (and you don't even want to know what the minimum wage was back then). I worked in Fantasyland, with older people who had been Disneyland employees for years and who were performing the same job I did. However, they received hourly wage increases frequently. We all had to be part of a labor union, even if we were only summer--aka "seasonal"-- employees. These older employees made six and seven times what I made.
When I started working on the Skyway ride in 1976, the union was being dissolved. The older guys and gals got union pay. The rest of us got $2.25 an hour, no benefits and no sick days. Great job while going to school or as a part-time job. It was a blast; canoe races, softball leagues and a great cafeteria to eat. We could get ourselves and 1 guest in the park once a day. I would never consider Disneyland to be my main job.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
When I started working on the Skyway ride in 1976, the union was being dissolved. The older guys and gals got union pay. The rest of us got $2.25 an hour, no benefits and no sick days. Great job while going to school or as a part-time job. It was a blast; canoe races, softball leagues and a great cafeteria to eat. We could get ourselves and 1 guest in the park once a day. I would never consider Disneyland to be my main job.
But they did, and they received a pretty decent paycheck for it. (I remember that our only benefit as summer employees was that we were allowed one free entry pass to Disneyland per day.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California