Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What is the sales tax in your city?
Sac County 7.75% but in California services aren't taxed and on items that are shipped to you tax is not charged on the shipping charge as it is in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But aren’t they raising the height of new builds constantly? I used to own 4 rental beach houses there and all the new builds were on stilts that we’re getting higher and higher.
Well that depends..if the Christian Taliban has their way Texas will just build arks to deal with the problem

Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
71, and yes that hospital and overpasses on the FRWY's. I did not live that far from it.

https://www.dailynews.com/2016/02/08/sylmar-san-fernando-earthquake-45-years-ago-tuesday-64-killed/

The 1971 Sylmar quake — dubbed the San Fernando earthquake by scientists and the biggest shaker to date in Los Angeles history — spread death and destruction as far as downtown.

Freeways buckled. Sewer lines broke. Gas lines exploded. Power lines fell, telephone service cut. Chimneys toppled. Windows shattered. Dams threatened to burst. And thousands of homes, businesses, hospitals and government agencies were turned upside down.
My sister was actually working it the hospital when the quake hit. We experienced several quakes growing up in L. A. At the time of the 71 quake we were living in Altadena. My sister and family lived in Canyon Country and she was an over night nurse at the Vet hospital. Of all the quakes we had that was by far, the worst.
My sister was working as I said and my brother in law was a prison guard. Their kids were older so stayed at home over night alone. It was about mid or late afternoon before the family could make contact with each other.
I do remember exactly what we were doing of course. Hubby was one of only 5 people in his dept that showed up for work in downtown L.A. that day. He worked for PT&T at the time, so we are not talking a small company. Our kids and 2 neighbor kids were the only ones in each of their classes that showed up for school. They were all sent home

Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My sister was actually working it the hospital when the quake hit. We experienced several quakes growing up in L. A. At the time of the 71 quake we were living in Altadena. My sister and family lived in Canyon Country and she was an over night nurse at the Vet hospital. Of all the quakes we had that was by far, the worst.
My sister was working as I said and my brother in law was a prison guard. Their kids were older so stayed at home over night alone. It was about mid or late afternoon before the family could make contact with each other.
I do remember exactly what we were doing of course. Hubby was one of only 5 people in his dept that showed up for work in downtown L.A. that day. He worked for PT&T at the time, so we are not talking a small company. Our kids and 2 neighbor kids were the only ones in each of their classes that showed up for school. They were all sent home
Yeah, I lived in the Valley and everyone was worried about the Dam breaking. I did go to work in Downtown LA and had to help load everything back on the warehouse shelves, though I worked in the office. A friend was on the freeway going to work and the overpasses on both ends of the section he was on collapsed, but being in the middle, between them, he was OK, just stuck for bit. It was no fun and I do not remember a worse one and I was born in LA County. It had to be bad for your sister at the VA hospital once that wing collapsed. Hope she was not to near it. You just never know when one will hit, like the one in SF where a lot of the FRWYs with an upper and lower level collapsed.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sac County 7.75% but in California services aren't taxed and on items that are shipped to you tax is not charged on the shipping charge as it is in Texas.
TX only charges shipping tax on retail sales. Shipped millions of dollars worth of product to distributors and no one paid anything on the shipping charges in the way of taxes.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Interesting but regression is the criteria not taxes. For instance NV taxes are less than TX or CA at all income levels.

So NV is almost as regressive as TX but the taxes paid are less than either CA or TX.
This is why this comparison is ridiculous. It rates "progressiveness" of taxes, not individual tax burden for which California is usually Top 5 in the country.

I don't care how "progressive" the tax system is, I care about the actual burden carried.

For that California is Top of the theft chain

Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
This is why this comparison is ridiculous. It rates "progressiveness" of taxes, not individual tax burden for which California is usually Top 5 in the country.

I don't care how "progressive" the tax system is, I care about the actual burden carried.

For that California is Top of the theft chain
Oh goody, as I currently live in #1, FL.

Best ranking is FL (Note Alaska also) and CA is 49th, just 1 above the worst.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:47 PM

603 posts, read 443,528 times
Quote:
Oh goody, as I currently live in #1, FL.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
CA does not make the top 10 in the total tax load on individuals. It is a high tax state number 11 in 2019. But there are 10 states with higher taxes.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
CA does not make the top 10 in the total tax load on individuals. It is a high tax state number 11 in 2019. But there are 10 states with higher taxes.
#11?

and they say we need to repeal prop 13 coz we dont collect that much prop tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California