Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2022, 08:18 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
My issue would be that this vaccine to a large extent doesn't seem to be preventing people from infecting others. And clearly I'm looking at this situation because it's what my reality is and appears to be a pretty good test since everyone has to present their vaccination status to HR and the building is 100% vaccinated.
I find it impossible to believe that someone that's coughing up a storm isn't more contagious than an asymptomatic carrier. I also think that even if the spread of an asymptomatic disease is universal, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:21 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yeah, but the plaintiffs will win, just as lawsuits against schools have already resulted in some victories. Restaurants, gyms, airplanes, pharmacies - higher-risk people's quality of life is cut significantly if they're too dangerous to use. Probably large chains would be sued first, maybe class-action. I anticipate that employees masked and tested very frequently would be part of the outcome. If some 5-minute very cheap, accurate test comes about and therefore is a minimal burden on businesses, I could see most or all customers required to test to gain entry. Though pharmacies should just make customers wait outdoors at windows or drive-throughs, which a few locations have.
Good luck, Good heathen, waiting for all this to come to fruition.
So, GH, it's better to keep "(r)estaurants, gyms, airplanes, pharmacies" unavailable to all because they are risky for some? I think not.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:46 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Disabled people aren't required to eat at restaurants. How do you think that argument would go over in a courtroom? Some doctors prescribe exercise to their patients. People sometimes need to use airplanes or in-person pharmacies for urgent matters. I think the government or medical board is likely to tighten regulations at pharmacies because they're medical and attract a large share of people who aren't well.
Your argument doesn't hold water. Sorry.

All that you mentioned can be obtained and delivered to your home. Meals, medications and even exercise equipment. In the times we live in now, a person doesn't need to leave their home, unless they choose to and I hope most people would choose to leave it because living like a hermit is a dangerous thing to the mind, body and spirit.

Sorry to say, your argument wouldn't hold up and you'd be laughed out of court or at the very least suggested to seek therapy, which by the way, you can also do online. No more need to see a psychiatrist in person. Isn't that great?

Old 04-28-2022, 08:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So, GH, it's better to keep "(r)estaurants, gyms, airplanes, pharmacies" unavailable to all because they are risky for some? I think not.
That already happened in NYC.

Didn't work out too well.

Economically it drained the city.

People bailed in droves.

Also didn't get rid of covid.

lose-lose.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:51 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Disabled people aren't required to eat at restaurants. How do you think that argument would go over in a courtroom?
They aren't required does not mean they aren't allowed.

They have the right to eat there if they choose.

But forcing non-disabled people to be tested, and possibly turned away, for a small group of people would not hold up well in court.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Another person accusing me of saying something very different from what I said.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
They aren't required does not mean they aren't allowed.

They have the right to eat there if they choose.

But forcing non-disabled people to be tested, and possibly turned away, for a small group of people would not hold up well in court.
At least 20% of the adult population is not "a small group of people," not that protections for disabled people require any major percentage.

People with some mobility issues cannot eat in restaurants without major hassle when there are no accommodations. High-risk people cannot eat there without major risk. Both are not reasonable conditions.

Another person's argument is horrible and the flaw is stated in it:
All that you mentioned can be obtained and delivered to your home. Meals, medications and even exercise equipment. In the times we live in now, a person doesn't need to leave their home, unless they choose to and I hope most people would choose to leave it because living like a hermit is a dangerous thing to the mind, body and spirit.
It's also a terrible argument because gym equipment for home has space and cost considerations.

Vaccine mandates were permitted by the courts. Mandated non-invasive testing would be permitted. Temperature checks, anyone? I had one very recently.

The one lawyer completely misread my argument, and it looks like no one else knows much about the law.

People throwing a fit over the potential slightest inconvenience (except testing positive before a flight), when it would have the side effect of driving transmission of the virus way down. I do wonder if the idea would fall apart because there wouldn't be enough manufacturing capacity or raw materials for test kits. If saliva test devices (which might take too long for results) or breath test kits are mostly reusable, it should work.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-28-2022 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2022, 09:38 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
All I can add is :

https://up2sd.org/topics/mental-heal...xoCDksQAvD_BwE

For a few on this thread.

Excessive worry or anxiety

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 04-28-2022 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-28-2022, 09:53 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
At least 20% of the adult population is not "a small group of people," not that protections for disabled people require any major percentage.

People with some mobility issues cannot eat in restaurants without major hassle when there are no accommodations. High-risk people cannot eat there without major risk. Both are not reasonable conditions.
Wrong! The ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) require that restaurants must have a serving area that will accommodate a wheelchair. Bathrooms must be outfitted to accommodate the same. So a person who has mobility issues can (and does) eat at a restaurant.

You don't like my answer about exercise equipment? It's the cost and space? Okay, maybe some live in a place too small to fit a treadmill or bench press or elliptical machine but long before exercise equipment became a home luxury, people used to exercise at home without equipment. They even have some nifty DVDs you can pop in the machine and follow along.

You're grasping at straws. The fact remains that you want to live in a society where everyone conforms to your wants and needs. Humans don't like being locked up or told what to do or what to put in their body. Just as with other diseases, you'll just have to learn to live with Covid because, in one form or another, it's here to stay. smh

Old 04-28-2022, 10:01 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Wrong! The ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) require that restaurants must have a serving area that will accommodate a wheelchair. Bathrooms must be outfitted to accommodate the same. So a person who has mobility issues can (and does) eat at a restaurant.

You don't like my answer about exercise equipment? It's the cost and space? Okay, maybe some live in a place too small to fit a treadmill or bench press or elliptical machine but long before exercise equipment became a home luxury, people used to exercise at home without equipment. They even have some nifty DVDs you can pop in the machine and follow along.

You're grasping at straws. The fact remains that you want to live in a society where everyone conforms to your wants and needs. Humans don't like being locked up or told what to do or what to put in their body. Just as with other diseases, you'll just have to learn to live with Covid because, in one form or another, it's here to stay. smh
Just got back from dinner and a movie. Mask free, as was everyone else. Back to normal for most of us. Son goes to a local gym. No masks required, which is good cause they DO... NOT ...KEEP you from getting Covid as has been witnessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California