Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 09:40 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
C'mon, sav. Cases are people. You're not the only one who does this, though. It seems to be easier to refer to people as cases because it removes some element of emotion. Makes it less human.
30K cases or 30K people, either way 30K didn't die from COVID related to Trump rallies. That was my only point.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:42 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
30K cases or 30K people, either way 30K didn't die from COVID related to Trump rallies.
Do you know this for a fact? Maybe not directly those who attended but did they not congregate with others in their communities, which has caused a spike in both cases and deaths?

Old 11-17-2020, 09:44 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Its going to overwhelm hospitals and create a permanent strain on our health system.

I don't know about that, but I hope not. We're better prepared now than we were back in February and the wild projections then didn't materialize. Not even close. I think we'll be ok.

Quote:
And to think, this was largely preventable. If Trump had driven a national program to coordinate testing/tracing/isolation, we'd likely be able to open safely now and have much better statistics

What prevented states or localities from doing all this on their own? All this hindsight is pointless.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Do you know this for a fact? Maybe not directly those who attended but did they not congregate with others in their communities, which has caused a spike in both cases and deaths?

Trump campaign rallies led to more than 30,000 coronavirus cases, Stanford researchers say

You seriously think over 10% of all covid-realted deaths in the US are related to Trump rallies? Wow....

Old 11-17-2020, 09:47 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hmmm. What about a sledgehammer ... then a scalpel?

The lockdowns DID work ... they didn’t last without intense follow up and social cooperation.
Working would be they lockdown, the virus disappears or get to a minimal level. They reopen and it stays that way.

That’s not what happened and it doesn’t work. They would have been much better off starting out with targeted actions.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:49 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
30K cases or 30K people, either way 30K didn't die from COVID related to Trump rallies. That was my only point.
I know what you meant. Maybe it's just this term, cases, that trigger me. I don't know how many people became ill after attending those rallies. It would be interesting to know, though. Just like it would be interesting to know how many people became ill after all the peaceful protests that took place a few months ago. I'd also like to know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's just this term, cases, that trigger me.

For me, it's just less keystrokes than 'people who have been infected by covid19'.
Laziness on my part, mostly. I wouldn't try to minimize this.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I know what you meant. Maybe it's just this term, cases, that trigger me. I don't know how many people became ill after attending those rallies. It would be interesting to know, though.Just like it would be interesting to know how many people became ill after all the peaceful protests that took place a few months ago. I'd also like to know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.
It sure would! Or the Biden celebrations the media was recently praising. But of course they won't research or report on those....

Old 11-17-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Working would be they lockdown, the virus disappears or get to a minimal level. They reopen and it stays that way.

That’s not what happened and it doesn’t work. They would have been much better off starting out with targeted actions.

The only way the lockdown worked was that we "flattened the curve". But that was based on a prediction of 25M people statewide being infected by April. It's obvious now that the most dire of the dire modeling was way off base. We've gone through this rubber band effect a few times now where cases surge and recede but never once hit extraordinary peaks like over half the population being infected.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:02 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The only way the lockdown worked was that we "flattened the curve". But that was based on a prediction of 25M people statewide being infected by April. It's obvious now that the most dire of the dire modeling was way off base. We've gone through this rubber band effect a few times now where cases surge and recede but never once hit extraordinary peaks like over half the population being infected.
Their projections were way, way off. I think Dr Fauci said there were going to be 2 million dead here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California