Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 08:07 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post

ahhh... Wish they all could be California Girls. That's the one thing you'll never find elsewhere.
You haven't seen many Southern girls or Texas girls then, eh....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 08:09 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If you buy a car from the dealer, they will include & add the registration fees to the cost. So you won't have to pay registration for another year. But you can bicker over the price of a new or used car. Pm if you need any info.
It still costs more and you still ultimately pay it.......

Old 08-16-2020, 08:09 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
CA property taxes are actually low

around 1.2% of the selling price, and that's ignoring the great benefits of Prop 13

But gas is high, car registration, and everyday things are more expensive because of the high minimum wages in big cities

Gas hovers in the high $3s low $4s per gallon. My daughter's car registration for a $14,000 car was $279.
I agree. Property taxes really aren’t bad at all in California. It’s about the same rate here in Georgia.the difference is the same home will cost you 1/3 the price in in Georgia as California, hence the lower total. Here on my county when you hit 62 they drop the tax to about 35% of what that rate is. No prop 13 though.

Registration for all cars is 20 bucks a year. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 500 buck beater or a 500k supercar.
I pay 80 total for 2 Lexus, ford super crew pick up, and a Ferrari.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:02 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
CA property taxes are actually low

around 1.2% of the selling price
, and that's ignoring the great benefits of Prop 13

But gas is high, car registration, and everyday things are more expensive because of the high minimum wages in big cities

Gas hovers in the high $3s low $4s per gallon. My daughter's car registration for a $14,000 car was $279.
That's only for older homes, at least in So. Cal. (I'm guessing it's the same statewide). The Mello-Roos assessment for newer homes costs upwards of 2/3 of one percent and total property taxes on a newer home can exceed 2%.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:53 PM

545 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
That's only for older homes, at least in So. Cal. (I'm guessing it's the same statewide). The Mello-Roos assessment for newer homes costs upwards of 2/3 of one percent and total property taxes on a newer home can exceed 2%.
Sure, but those Mello Roos are bonds and burn off in like 20 years etc and are not property taxes inasmuch as they are payments for infrastructure that the developers offload onto the taxing agencies rather than incorporate them into the sales price

In some cases, the developer pays for the infrastructure (sidewalks, roads, sewer lines, etc) and you these houses will be priced higher as a result

Old 08-16-2020, 10:56 PM

545 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I agree. Property taxes really aren’t bad at all in California. It’s about the same rate here in Georgia.the difference is the same home will cost you 1/3 the price in in Georgia as California, hence the lower total. Here on my county when you hit 62 they drop the tax to about 35% of what that rate is. No prop 13 though.

Registration for all cars is 20 bucks a year. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 500 buck beater or a 500k supercar.
I pay 80 total for 2 Lexus, ford super crew pick up, and a Ferrari.
CA also has some kind of tax break (prop tax) for the seniors. But I don't now much about it but I know my friend was all excited about it and stood to benefit financially.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
I be curious whether the property taxes is likely what drives runway housing prices in California as investors are willing to invest large amounts of properties capped in terms of property taxes I have a feeling that if California property tax rules arnt that favorable I bet the housing market probably won’t be as overheated these days particularly for the far fringes of urban development.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:48 AM

11,482 posts, read 6,008,999 times
So, given housing, property tax and gas prices are high in California.

Rent is very expensive. California has the 2nd highest rental costs.

Income tax is expensive. California has the 6th highest per capita income tax collections.

Funerals are expensive. California has the 2nd highest cost for a funeral.

Car insurance is expensive. California has the 5th highest car insurance rates.

Life insurance is expensive. California has the 5th highest life insurance premiums.

Car registration fees are expensive. California has the 8th highest car registration fees.

School is expensive. California has the 9th highest private K-12 school tuition.

Weddings are expensive. California has the 9th highest cost for weddings.

Utilities are expensive. California has the 15th highest utility costs.

College is moderate. California has the 28th highest college tuition.

Health insurance is moderate. California has the 36th highest health insurance rates.

Groceries are cheap. California has the 40th highest grocery costs.

But anything having to do with labor is expensive in California

California has the 3rd highest lawn care costs.

California has the 7th highest home maintanance costs.

California has the highest veterenarian bills in the nation.

California has the 12th highest child care costs.

I could go on and on with high service costs in California due to high labor costs.

So California is expensive for most cost of living items with a few notable exceptions. Throw in the fact that housing is always a HUGE cost of living expense, and California jettisons to near the top of the heap for worst bang for the buck.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 08-17-2020 at 01:00 AM..

Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Ahhh, the old standby “But you have to live (anywhere else but California)” when you don’t have a legitimate argument and try to put down another local to try to deflect.
Weak sauce.
Not seeing much of an "argument" or a "put down" there. But you can always look for one.

"It's been the hottest summer on record by far in the Phoenix area and I run the AC art 78 constantly and my whole electric bill (only water not included) was $95 last month."

Old 08-17-2020, 06:48 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
CA also has some kind of tax break (prop tax) for the seniors. But I don't now much about it but I know my friend was all excited about it and stood to benefit financially.
Good point. Props 60 and 90, which apply to anyone over 55 and benefits those who are downsizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California