Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2022, 05:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
So I am forced to visit family, one more time, in the boring frozen hellhole where I spawned.

It will be 4 degrees.
For the high temperature.
With 40-60 mph winds.
Meaning it will feel like -30F, or maybe -50. Like there's a difference.

This is after the ground gets covered in rain, then sleet, then (maybe) snow. Forecasters are warning about something called a "flash freeze", which even I can't remember from when I lived in that awful place.

It's pretty awful when you are HOPING to get a couple of inches of snow to go with all the other frozen **** falling from the sky. Just so you have something to LOOK at besides dead trees and brown grass. Can't actually go outside without literally risking death and dismemberment, even wrapped in survival gear. Even driving to somewhere (else indoors) that is not your house is painful, and potentially deadly.

As opposed to being minorly inconvenienced, like here in SoCal, people there will DIE when their car stalls.

Meanwhile, at my empty coastal SoCal home, it will be 72 and sunny. Folks will be playing in the park in shorts and t-shirts, surfing, going out on the boat, having drinks in the back yard, like every other day this year.

Why do I still want to live in California? Because if I want to see snow, I can drive to it, then come back to somewhere nice again by the afternoon.
Ha!

My sister lives in Los Angeles. She arrived in southern Minnesota today. Her plans include a jaunt up to Duluth (northern Minnesota), but since they have a forecast for 15-20 inches of snow (on top of the two feet they got last week), I don't think that's going to happen.

Anyway, back here the forecast for Friday is a high of -1F, with winds gusting to 35 mph. It won't actually be snowing, but the 6-12 inches we'll be getting in the two days before will set up a raging ground blizzard.

The best part? She's bringing her boyfriend, who is from Phoenix and just bought his first-ever winter coat for the trip, because he's never been anywhere that he's needed one before. I will enjoy witnessing his first-ever exposure to actual cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 08:25 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you missed that day at school when it was discussed, or perhaps school altogether. Not even close to Communism..

He just likes to pull the chains of California boosters. He doesn't practice what he preaches. If he was really as against how California is run as much as he claims to be...he'd leave...but he doesn't. He's retired, and he can afford to leave.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:27 PM

1,500 posts, read 885,626 times
Quote:
So I am forced to visit family, one more time, in the boring frozen hellhole where I spawned.

It will be 4 degrees.
With 40-60 mph winds.

This is after the ground gets covered in rain, then sleet, then (maybe) snow. Forecasters are warning about something called a "flash freeze", which even I can't remember from when I lived in that awful place.

It's pretty awful when you are HOPING to get a couple of inches of snow to go with all the other frozen **** falling from the sky. Just so you have something to LOOK at besides dead trees and brown grass. Can't actually go outside without literally risking death and dismemberment, even wrapped in survival gear. Even driving to somewhere (else indoors) that is not your house is painful, and potentially deadly.

As opposed to being minorly inconvenienced, like here in SoCal, people there will DIE when their car stalls.

Meanwhile, at my empty coastal SoCal home, it will be 72 and sunny. Folks will be playing in the park in shorts and t-shirts, surfing, going out on the boat, having drinks in the back yard, like every other day this year.

Why do I still want to live in California? Because if I want to see snow, I can drive to it, then come back to somewhere nice again by the afternoon.
Agreed…..

Old 12-20-2022, 02:48 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hardly "the nobility." If you can think of a better way than Prop 13 to determine property taxes, let us know.
Without asserting claim that mine is comprehensively a "better way", what I'd prefer is the complete shifting of property taxes from states and countries to the federal government. There would be one national property tax, irrespective of jurisdictions' so-called local needs. It would be indexed to inflation, rather than to local property prices. And it would rise annually, regardless of whether the property had just changed hands, or had been under the same ownership for decades. Similarly, state/local income tax would also be abolished, replaced by a higher federal income tax.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:21 PM

114 posts, read 111,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Thing is, for all the people who complain about California and say "I am happier here in [insert non-CA location here]" is that almost all of whatever it is they like can also be found in California. Its just they dont want to live in Bakersfield, Chico or Eureka. They want Santa Monica, San Francisco or Brentwood.
I'm a born and raised Chicoan but I had to move to the east coast for work two years ago and now I'm scratching clawing to get back. It's a tall order though because I got married and inherited two step kids in that intervening time, so my income is spread thin but it still goes a lot further in Chico than it has where I/we have lived on the east coast (Northern Virginia, Maryland, Long Island). Plus Chico is immeasurably superior to all of those places.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:04 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Lovely weather.

With part of my family still stuck in Colorado with sub-zero temps and wind this week, I feel their pain.

Also nice flora...my bird of paradise plant flowered this week.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:45 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

It will be 4 degrees.
With 40-60 mph winds.

Home run.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:49 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:

It will be 4 degrees.
With 40-60 mph winds.

We hove to a couple of miles off the coast for the traditional Winter Solstice plunge in the Pacific. Quite nice. There were dolphins.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:47 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Why I continue to live here: Where I'm at, it's supposed to be 79f and beautiful on xmas.
On a sidenote, I'm glad someone finally corrected the title of this thread.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:34 PM

21,538 posts, read 8,721,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Why I continue to live here: Where I'm at, it's supposed to be 79f and beautiful on xmas.
On a sidenote, I'm glad someone finally corrected the title of this thread.
Me, too. I'm a spelling nerd, and typos really bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California