Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 08:44 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
From someone who spent the first 22 years of his life in Florida, and was terrified of northern winters (or how people survived them), this turned out to be entirely a non-issue.

I'll take mild and green summers with cold winters over, say, Arizona's weather.
Hey! I'm living that remark! Lol! Honestly, aside from the three extreme months (June-August), the weather is not that bad out here. We just experienced the hottest summer on record and it was brutal, however, we are sitting pretty (with the exception of a few flare-ups) until next May.

Vermont is beautiful. I grew up in Massachusetts and often traveled there for quick getaways. If there were a reason I wouldn't live in Vermont it would be the long, cold, snowy winters. That was the primary reason I left Massachusetts. However, for those who enjoy winter and the other three seasons, Vermont is tough to beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 08:58 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Massachusetts and Connecticut were way too cold for me. Grew up there and had enough snow for a lifetime. The last time I went skiing was at Okemo, and it was -3 without the wind chill. I now own three palm trees, and look at them in admiration everyday, grateful that bitter cold is no longer part of my life.
IMO, if your going to be cold, you've got to have mountains, and you've got to have a ski resort . If I'm skiing, I usually don't care how cold it is. The second day I ever skied (over 45 years ago) was at Squaw Valley, the wind was the strongest I think I've ever experienced, I could barely see more than a few feet in front of me....and I loved it .

I've traveled quite a bit, but I've nearly always lived anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour from either the Pacific Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico.

The only exceptions to the above...two mountain towns with ski resorts...Mammoth Lakes, CA and Incline Village, NV.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:19 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Default no, because

winter.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:29 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If I'm skiing, I usually don't care how cold it is.
I hate cold, snow, and skiiing. The skiers represent a lot of people I grew up with who stayed in New England. Makes a difference.

Only time I've ever enjoyed seeing snow was when I was poolside in Palm Springs at 75 degrees, and you could see snow on the top of Mount San Jacinto nearby.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:32 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,161 times
That picture looks like California. Beautiful.

I wouldn’t mind some Vermont right now during these fires.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:41 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
As an ex-Californian myself, I don’t see that Vermont actually has that much to offer.

I am moving to NY state for family reasons, but otherwise the northeast and New England isn’t really my thing. With Raynaud’s syndrome, winter is literally painful. And driving in snow is a fairly terrifying thought. Also having grown up in a majority-minority area, I don’t feel particularly at home in racially homogenous places. I also think that the first Californians to flee are usually the ones who aren’t really in the left side of the political divide. Lastly, I also think that most places in the west feel more culturally compatible than on the east coast. I really start feeling at home when I hit West Texas and go anywhere across the west, especially desert states. The vibe back East is different somehow.

That said, summers up that way are lovely. Fun fact: VT is one of only two states in the lower 48 I haven’t ever been through.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:46 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
No snow or ice for me. I can see snow on the mountains for my view, but that is close enough. Ice is for my drinks. Scared of it on the roads.

However, I am sure Vermont is a beautiful state.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Only place I know more left than here other than france
A country I know well -l where you can get a 3 year prison sentence for telling a Muslim joke

Old 09-02-2020, 07:02 PM

223 posts, read 153,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
To continue this bad car analogy, perhaps it's as if someone is complaining their Porsche is breaking down frequently and they have to live with and rely on it every day, why they might not consider something that doesn't have all of the problems the Porsche has. Nevermind the cost of maintaining it.

As someone who has traveled extensively, I wouldn't call Vermont the "Kia" of the US. It's rural, but it isn't a dumpy place to live.
It looks very pretty. I'd love to explore that side of the US. I'm actually going to Boston/New England area for five days next month. Can't wait!

Old 09-02-2020, 07:14 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,150,942 times
Send me your surplus maple syrup.
I'll stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California