Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:50 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

I wish I could find the monologue by Charles Krauthammer where he talks about how we could have perfect air and climate but at what cost to the economy. It's excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:54 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And what other sources are out there? Wind? That dies down when the sunsets too. Why do you think we just had rolling blackouts?

Instead of setting this arbitrary deadline, perhaps look into and start a plan how to achieve it first and see what it would take and if its even possible to meet that deadline. And how do they plan to pay for it.

You have way too much faith in a state with a currently failing power grid and astronomical electricity costs.
Lots of other choices. Geothermal, tidal energy, etc. I agree that these statements shouldn't come out without planning, but I think we have to set the stage somewhere.

My question is how can they afford NOT to do this? With increasing costs due to climate change, this will outweigh any infrastructure costs needed. Think about the number of jobs that can/will be created here. We badly need to put a stake in the ground.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:54 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
The technology is there, just the infrastructure needs to be put in place. We have 15 years to hit that target. Time to start moving and stop complaining about what it can't work. The future of our planet (and our children) is at stake.
So the technology is there to drive 340 miles or so on one charge, stop and get fully charged in a few minutes? No, it isn’t.

IF you have high speed charging (level 3), you can charge between 120-150 miles in an hour. Other types take 8-10 hours to charge. Add to that not nearly enough charging stations.

Plus, as has already been stated, we don’t have the power capacity. We’re having rolling blackouts when too many people use their air conditioning. Can you imaging everyone trying to charge their cars??

How about they get the infrastructure and technology in place, then pass laws. Instead they put the cart before the horse. Typical California nonsense.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What makes you think that electric cars aren't going to be affordable in 15 years? The technology has really improved. Case in point, Tesla only had a high end car and now has a mid tier car (much more affordable). This is not ideology, its real time tracking of technological breakthroughs.

Important to do both in parallel, not just sit back and wait by kicking the can down the road.
So, what? Let’s cross our fingers and hope the cars will be affordable in 15 years? Are we hoping the infrastructure will be there too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Think how long it would take to travel across the US stopping for hours every few hundred miles to recharge somewhere.
Exactly. Do they even go a few hundred miles? The cars I checked out went 150-250 miles.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:59 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Lots of other choices. Geothermal, tidal energy, etc. I agree that these statements shouldn't come out without planning, but I think we have to set the stage somewhere.

My question is how can they afford NOT to do this? With increasing costs due to climate change, this will outweigh any infrastructure costs needed. Think about the number of jobs that can/will be created here. We badly need to put a stake in the ground.
Is there even enough geothermal sources we can use out there? And not sure how you can be so confident in tidal energy yet, it hasn't been proven to work on a large scale. And again about is it even possible to upgrade the entire electrical grid and what would that cost.

I'm not against doing it but figure out how to first before pushing these mandates that you don't even know are feasible at this point. CA is doing it backwards and you're supporting it because it sounds nice.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Working in parallel would mean not mandating something currently beyond technical feasibility in the present. Here's the order btw.

Forget passenger cars, the E/O also calls to phase out heavy/medium duty vehicles that aren't zero emission by 2045. Let's say that twenty-five years from now, we still don't have reliable replacements for such things --then what? What does that do to transport and construction and everything else that follows the path of depending on vehicles in those classes to exist?

It's a noble cause but the implementation is typically idiotic which is becoming the standard in California.
Exactly! I swear they just do this crap to impress the uninformed masses to get votes but haven't actually looked into what it would take to achieve this.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Bad planning, or lack of planning is a big reason we just had rolling blackouts. Yeah lets get all this solar and wind energy but they forgot to plan for what happens when the sun goes down. Either that or just ignored it because those details don't impress the masses.

And here CA is doing the same exact thing.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Exactly! I swear they just do this crap to impress the uninformed masses to get votes but haven't actually looked into what it would take to achieve this.
No joke. It’s a “look how awesome we are fighting climate change” nonsense.

I can see the car manufacturers backing an initiative to repeal this. I’ll vote yes on Prop V8 to repeal.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:08 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
No joke. It’s a “look how awesome we are fighting climate change” nonsense.

I can see the car manufacturers backing an initiative to repeal this. I’ll vote yes on Prop V8 to repeal.
So, you're against fighting climate change because it doesn't benefit you personally? Or is it because you don't care about the planet you're leaving for your grandchildren?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
So, you're against fighting climate change because it doesn't benefit you personally? Or is it because you don't care about the planet you're leaving for your grandchildren?
A little bit of both, more of the first one.

Have you thought of the impact on the electric grid or are you just wanting a touchy-feely law that has no real solution but makes you feel good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California