Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 01:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times

Advertisements

I have some questions and don’t even think Newsom has the answers

I thought he loved gas tax money. How will they maintain the roads without it?
What would it do to car registration fees that already sky high?
What about people that live in condos and apartments without garages? How do they charge their cars?
Is Newsom planning on being governor in 15 years? Can he place a order and it will have to be enforced when he’s retired and living on his winery if he’s not run out of the state?
What about all the jobs related to gas?

I’m all for clean green living but don’t think it can happen 100% in our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 01:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'm in agreement there. We have 15 years to get the infrastructure upgraded and have the auto companies continue to innovate. Some studies are showing that in about 5 years, we'll reach a point where it'll be cheaper to manufacture electric vs gas powered vehicles.
You have more faith in the state to get the upgrades done than I do.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:03 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
You have more faith in the state to get the upgrades done than I do.
I just don’t think we have a choice at this point

Old 09-23-2020, 02:03 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Good questions, especially this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Is Newsom planning on being governor in 15 years? Can he place a order and it will have to be enforced when he’s retired and living on his winery if he’s not run out of the state?
In 15 years, either Newsom will have gone bye-bye or I will.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:04 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
People like yourself who are objecting to this type of green movement. If you think this is such an acute issue, maybe you should write a letter with your "grand plan" to your state representative, rather than shooting down all ideas for environmental improvement on CD? That would be a more effective way for you to 1 - vent your frustration and 2 - be part of the solution.
So it's up to individual citizens to spend their time and resources to correct the ineptitude of the people running this state because they don't know how to plan? We already pay them to do their jobs but apparently you don't think they should be doing them right? My god you have to be kidding me.

And I didn't shoot down the idea, I shot down how it was being done.

Or maybe people like you should actually think twice about voting for people who have no plan to actually implement these ideas and have screwed up so many other grand plans over and over.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:05 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If you already own a gas powered vehicle in 2034 it's okay to use it. After 2035 it looks like only electric (?) would be sold.

But you can be sure that if there is not enough availability or something else changes the ruling would be adjusted.
So.....ICE car manufacturers will have record years in 2032, 2033 and 2034 in California as people madly rush to buy gas powered cars before they're banned...? Where does the $$$ come from for the extra power infrastructure and all the new charging stations that will now need to be as numerous if not more than gas stations? Unlike gasoline, electrical power is not easy to transport in the case of an emergency (e.g. your car dies in death valley....with a gas vehicle you call roadside assistance and they bring you a can of gas, you top up and off you go, with an electric car......can batteries be easily swapped out without heavy equipment?).

Also in electronic devices batteries are considered consumables - what's the life expectancy of the batteries on a Tesla and what's the cost to replace them?

Old 09-23-2020, 02:08 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Or maybe people like you should actually think twice about voting for people who have no plan to actually implement these ideas and have screwed up so many other grand plans over and over.
Can things be done better, sure. What is the alternative though? Please don't tell me that the Republican "plans" are better. What plans have the Trump administration put forth to address climate change? Seems like they only want to keep the economy rolling at all costs with no consideration for our futures.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:08 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And how do you expect to move all that energy and be able to deliver it? And what happens when the sun goes down? How do you expect to make up for the rapid drop off in electricity production?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Think how long it would take to travel across the US stopping for hours every few hundred miles to recharge somewhere.

Never fear folks, I can provide you some learnings of actually learning about this field that is essentially dependent on evolving battery technology.

It is no coincidence that this order came less than 24 hours after Tesla's "Battery Day" in which a series of new battery engineering technologies have been discussed - that improve vehicle energy density by 50% and reduce battery costs by 50%.

The new technology will almost certainly reduce supercharging times further - probably to around 10 minutes.

More importantly for California, the emergence of cost-effective batteries for grid stability and grid storage will work in beautiful synergy with solar and other renewable energy sources.

Not only is the grid going to grow and grow more solar-based, but massive battery deployment will allow solar to be used after the sun goes down and all that.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:09 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
So.....ICE car manufacturers will have record years in 2032, 2033 and 2034 in California as people madly rush to buy gas powered cars before they're banned...? Where does the $$$ come from for the extra power infrastructure and all the new charging stations that will now need to be as numerous if not more than gas stations? Unlike gasoline, electrical power is not easy to transport in the case of an emergency (e.g. your car dies in death valley....with a gas vehicle you call roadside assistance and they bring you a can of gas, you top up and off you go, with an electric car......can batteries be easily swapped out without heavy equipment?).

Also in electronic devices batteries are considered consumables - what's the life expectancy of the batteries on a Tesla and what's the cost to replace them?
No. By then electric vehicles will be seen as vastly superior in many use cases anyways, and already be dominating sales.

People assuming battery technology is going to stay the same for the next years are going to be very wrong.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:10 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Because.
He.
Can.

Who's gonna stop him?

A Republican?

In California?

WHAT Republican?

Few can deny that yes, the man has effectively become a dictator. But Californias politics being what it is, and as beloved and popular as he is..... Doesn't he still carry something like a 90% approval rating?

And I'm sure government and a few other hand picked exceptions will be exempted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California