Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 12:24 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

I love the idea.

I'm sick of feeding OPEC and our own oil gang. Now, set a date to end coal-fired powered plants; set up the tax incentives and start a jobs program to train those who'll make the transition happen with American-made parts and labor. It's not rocket science, we CAN do this, easily, but not if the fossil fuel contingent in Congress blocks the way forward as they've tried at every turn so far.

We must move to EVs at full speed ahead as output from fracking sites is known to decline at full speed. We are in a deadly serious race to keep our mobility and economic vitality. The GOP throws massive tax cuts to mythical "job creators" but that has never proven true. What is true is moving to EVs, solar and wind will create a whole new economy, here in the USA, with millions of jobs. Let's crank up trade schools and junior colleges, now, to produce the labor force needed for the decades of vital work ahead of us.

Ford, GM, and others, are quickly moving to end production of vehicles that run on fossil fuels. Both announced major changes for entire line-ups of new EVs, some of which are now being sold and far more in the next few years. This initiative by California fits like a glove with the line-up of new EVs coming out. At 74, I hope I have enough years ahead of me to see much of this come to pass.

Recycling of the used EV batteries is getting off the ground now, will be there as the need grows.

Oregon and Washington need to follow suit, doesn't have to be 2035, could be 2040.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Wind and solar are woefully inadequate, no electricity, no electric cars.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:08 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
California air regulators are set to vote Thursday (8/25) on a historic plan that would effectively require all new cars sold within the state to be zero-emission vehicles by 2035 — a ruling that would put the nation’s most populous state in the forefront of phasing out internal combustion engines and the harmful, planet-warming gasses they emit.

If approved, the regulations are expected to significantly reduce vehicle carbon dioxide emissions, as well as smog-forming nitrogen oxides over the next two decades. It could also lead the way in transforming America’s aging fleet of gasoline-powered automobiles.

...The proposed rules would establish a credit system for automakers supplying California car dealerships and take effect in 2026. In that year, 35% of all new cars an auto manufacturer sells to California dealerships would need to be either zero-emission, plug-in hybrid or hydrogen-powered vehicles. That would increase to 68% in 2030 and 100% by 2035.

“Some new gas-powered vehicles will still be allowed to be sold, but they must be plug-in hybrids,” the board states on its website. Those so-called PHEVs, however, must be able to run at least 50 miles on batteries before switching to gas.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ered-cars-2035

Old 08-25-2022, 09:03 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
California air regulators are set to vote Thursday (8/25) on a historic plan that would effectively require all new cars sold within the state to be zero-emission vehicles by 2035 — a ruling that would put the nation’s most populous state in the forefront of phasing out internal combustion engines and the harmful, planet-warming gasses they emit.

If approved, the regulations are expected to significantly reduce vehicle carbon dioxide emissions, as well as smog-forming nitrogen oxides over the next two decades. It could also lead the way in transforming America’s aging fleet of gasoline-powered automobiles.

...The proposed rules would establish a credit system for automakers supplying California car dealerships and take effect in 2026. In that year, 35% of all new cars an auto manufacturer sells to California dealerships would need to be either zero-emission, plug-in hybrid or hydrogen-powered vehicles. That would increase to 68% in 2030 and 100% by 2035.

“Some new gas-powered vehicles will still be allowed to be sold, but they must be plug-in hybrids,” the board states on its website. Those so-called PHEVs, however, must be able to run at least 50 miles on batteries before switching to gas.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ered-cars-2035
"Zero emissions"? . "...plug-in hybrids"? Well, at least there will still be gas stations for hybrids. If people by a conventional hybrid in, say, 2030, they'll still be able to buy gas for it.

IDK, people. I don't see anything that says the state is going to step up and modernize its electricity infrastructure to guarantee people will be able to charge those plug-ins. I don't see anything about incentivizing solar-powered charging stations and expanding home-charging capacity. Nothing about getting the utility companies on board to create a reliable and safe 21st-Century electrical grid.

Just curious: has anyone checked to see how this piece of news has affected Tesla stock prices?

Old 08-25-2022, 09:06 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Used gas cars will remain being used for much longer times than now. and expensive. Only a tiny fraction can afford, or want, or have a place to charge a $50,000 electric car.
This will cause a Calif. depression.
People here keep on voting for Democrats no matter how stupid. I'm almost glad I'm old, If I was younger I'd get the hell out of this stupidity.
Smog is almost gone, not near as bad as it was not long ago. Regulators have to keep on regulating.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Used gas cars will remain being used for much longer times than now. and expensive. Only a tiny fraction can afford, or want, or have a place to charge a $50,000 electric car.
This will cause a Calif. depression.
People here keep on voting for Democrats no matter how stupid. I'm almost glad I'm old, If I was younger I'd get the hell out of this stupidity.
Smog is almost gone, not near as bad as it was not long ago. Regulators have to keep on regulating.
Don't worry, V8. We promise to stay off your lawn.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I love the idea.

I'm sick of feeding OPEC and our own oil gang. Now, set a date to end coal-fired powered plants; set up the tax incentives and start a jobs program to train those who'll make the transition happen with American-made parts and labor. It's not rocket science, we CAN do this, easily, but not if the fossil fuel contingent in Congress blocks the way forward as they've tried at every turn so far.

We must move to EVs at full speed ahead as output from fracking sites is known to decline at full speed. We are in a deadly serious race to keep our mobility and economic vitality. The GOP throws massive tax cuts to mythical "job creators" but that has never proven true. What is true is moving to EVs, solar and wind will create a whole new economy, here in the USA, with millions of jobs. Let's crank up trade schools and junior colleges, now, to produce the labor force needed for the decades of vital work ahead of us.

Ford, GM, and others, are quickly moving to end production of vehicles that run on fossil fuels. Both announced major changes for entire line-ups of new EVs, some of which are now being sold and far more in the next few years. This initiative by California fits like a glove with the line-up of new EVs coming out. At 74, I hope I have enough years ahead of me to see much of this come to pass.

Recycling of the used EV batteries is getting off the ground now, will be there as the need grows.

Oregon and Washington need to follow suit, doesn't have to be 2035, could be 2040.
I love your vision, Mike! But again, the dream depends on the state having a fully-functional electrical grid, which it does not have right now. Modernizing the grid will be costly, and rate payers don't want to have to pay for it, which seems fair enough, considering PG&E has been charging high rates for generations, while doing nothing to improve its infrastructure.

The fossil fuel contingent has always blocked development of alternative energy sources one way or another. Back in the early days of enthusiasm for solar and wind, they methodically bought up the start-ups, then killed them. Considering their heart and soul are heavily invested in fossil fuels, you gotta figure, that all that money is going to go somewhere. Those CEO's and their support staff and the people making $$ off of oil development aren't just going to shrug and go home and retire early. They'll come up with a way to take over the new market.

But you're right that this provides CA with a huge opportunity for development in a good direction, if it manages to pull itself together and design and engineer everything needed to support the vision. This remains to be seen. But it certainly would be a good use for that budget surplus we have Jerry to thank for. So far, it's the gift that keeps on giving, if the gubmint can manage to use it wisely.

Humans, you know... They're so...human. They have a knack for getting in their own way. But let's hope for the best.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Now, set a date to end coal-fired powered plants;

The GOP throws massive tax cuts to mythical "job creators" but that has never proven true. .
Another couple of flies in the ointment:

1) When generating capacity falls apart in the desert Southwest due to the Colorado River drying up, there will be pressure to re-open the Navajo generating station. The Navajos aren't likely to agree to that, since coal-slurrying was using up their highest-quality water supply, and the State of AZ has been looking covetously at their brackish water supply with desal in mind for the state (I found a report on this from a meeting of AZ state leaders that took place in 2018), but if the region is not abandoned completely, an alternative power source to hydroelectric will be needed, and solar and wind aren't going to be enough to power industry and daily living. The same can be said of CA: Oroville Dam already ran out of juice once during the drought. The writing's on the wall for CA.

2) The "job creators" line was just an excuse, a fairy tale for public relations to disguise the blatant robbing of the federal budget to fund more and more tax breaks for people who don't need them, right at a time (and counting...) when the nation needs a solid economic footing to meet the challenges ahead. Those would be: A) sea level rise requiring new highway routes as coastal and Bayside ones become inundated (Humboldt Co. has already been trying to secure federal and state funding to move Hwy 1 away from their bay, which has flooded the highway during storm surges), B) new and improved energy infrastructure just for existing needs nationwide, to say nothing of increased demand as the nation transitions to electric vehicles, and last but by no means least: C) disaster relief funds for increasingly destructive hurricanes, fires, winds, and other natural phenomena exacerbated by climate change.

Good luck, America. You'll need it. The federal budget will need to be strengthened, not weakened by greed and opportunism, by people claiming to be "patriots" while crippling the federal budget to fund more tax giveaways.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:06 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Ruth, thanks for the kind words.

IIRC we have to modernize the grid anyway, so let's do it as part of this transition to EVs and renewables.

Lots of work for able-bodied men and women for decades to come.

When the air is finally clear Reagan's shining city on a hill won't be obscured by smog....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:14 PM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times
Let me get this straight = calif does not want nukes, going to outlaw natural gas, hate coal fired generation - where in the hell is the power going to come from? Methane from the dumps? nope they outlawed methane from cow farts so that wont work. Ahh they will want it from Northwest or east - how about bend over and smile when that day comes!

MAYBE A BIG FRICKING BATTERY THAT ELON WILL PROVIDE. Oh yea he moved out of state so i bet that will be cost effective.

I guess the RV parks and state campgrounds will be easy to get a spot since there wont be way to tow your 40 foot toy hauler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California