Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 12:18 PM

148 posts, read 176,235 times

Advertisements

Like is there a place where it is not common for kids to do it, where it is looked down upon, even if legal. I have seen similar questions being asked on here, one guy even asking where is a liberal place that is more anti-pot?

I am not seeking for said place, I use it a little myself although I stupidly did it too much before. I think the drug can be kinda bad but that is more due to your attitude and how you consume it. I was wondering if said place is common. I would imagine more traditional places in the valley where hard drugs are more used instead, or some religious places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 01:49 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Dude... wut?

It's frowned on in my town. I rarely see or smell minors smoking. Even the skater kids hanging out together seem to be more interested in getting videos of themselves riding than in smoking pot.

Usually the people who stink of skunk are in their late 20's and 30's and are either townie burnouts or regional tourists. Cultivation and sales are illegal in my town. There's a ballot measure to legalize some grow and sale operations. I think it will probably fail. There's a few sad old hippy types who swear by it, but isn't that pretty much the case anywhere in the USA?

Old 10-27-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Dude... wut?

It's frowned on in my town. I rarely see or smell minors smoking. Even the skater kids hanging out together seem to be more interested in getting videos of themselves riding than in smoking pot.

Usually the people who stink of skunk are in their late 20's and 30's and are either townie burnouts or regional tourists. Cultivation and sales are illegal in my town. There's a ballot measure to legalize some grow and sale operations. I think it will probably fail. There's a few sad old hippy types who swear by it, but isn't that pretty much the case anywhere in the USA?
You make it sound like it is rare like that everywhere. Probably half of the average working adult group smokes weed at least a few times a month if not every month or two. Most of the people I have hung out with the past few years in my 20s age group not only smoke weed but a lot of it but I am not around them constantly. I am actually thinking of getting a weed industry job but not because I think weed is super cool but because it is an interesting and growing career, and I am not good at most jobs.

Even if those people you say don’t smoke weed they probably do other drugs like pills, drink, heroin etc. of course it is better to not use pot in the first place and I did ask you this, but I doubt it is extremely rare where you live, just maybe not as popular as say, Bay Area.

I actually think it is better if kids are not into it or use it infrequently, as in older kids, but I doubt there are many places where it is very rare, just more rare.

Last edited by DuctTapedToCokeMachine; 10-27-2020 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 03:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
You make it sound like it is rare like that everywhere. Probably half of the average working adult group smokes weed at least a few times a month if not every month or two. Most of the people I have hung out with the past few years in my 20s age group not only smoke weed but a lot of it but I am not around them constantly.
You hang around the wrong people.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You hang around the wrong people.
What is wrong with it? Are you anti-pot? If I replaced it with “most of my friends drink” then is that fine? Do you think you are superior to me for hanging out with people who use less?

And I’ve smoked quite a bit of weed with my dad too, although he is sick and it sometimes may calm him, and he doesn’t mind doing it with me. However he is locked in facility now and I have not done so with him in a year. It is to a point where it is hard for my dad and I to socialize without alcohol or marijuana which is a little sad.

Last edited by DuctTapedToCokeMachine; 10-27-2020 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 05:47 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,308 times
I used to say I could care less about weed smoking. I was complacent about it. However, as I've gotten older, I've seen that it's not as "harmless" as it's most ardent proponents like to make the rest of us believe.

It can lead to addiction, lethargy, bad job performance, unemployment, homelessness, poor living conditions, neglect, bad decisions, DUIs, unintentional harm, etc.

A lot of my perception on weed is from third-party information I get from people who deal with those who are addicts, so that adds to my bias. A woman I used to work with has a 28 year old son who is addicted to weed, then heroin, then meth and he lives with her and struggles to clean up and get a job. She has two other younger children and it is a tremendous burden for her to look after him too. I hear about it all of the time.

I lead a pretty "square" life. I don't see weed as being any better or worse than alcohol, I suppose. The class of people you associate with usually determines your views on things like weed, alcohol, hardcore drugs, etc.

Most of my friends and acquaintances have jobs where sobriety is prized, and demanded. That tends to weed out (no pun intended) the type of person who would have a pot addiction from my life. I won't go out of my way to befriend an addict either, sorry. A close family member is an addict (alcohol) and that has been hell on all of us. So, it's not something I'm going to seek out.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I used to say I could care less about weed smoking. I was complacent about it. However, as I've gotten older, I've seen that it's not as "harmless" as it's most ardent proponents like to make the rest of us believe.

It can lead to addiction, lethargy, bad job performance, unemployment, homelessness, poor living conditions, neglect, bad decisions, DUIs, unintentional harm, etc.

A lot of my perception on weed is from third-party information I get from people who deal with those who are addicts, so that adds to my bias. A woman I used to work with has a 28 year old son who is addicted to weed, then heroin, then meth and he lives with her and struggles to clean up and get a job. She has two other younger children and it is a tremendous burden for her to look after him too. I hear about it all of the time.

I lead a pretty "square" life. I don't see weed as being any better or worse than alcohol, I suppose. The class of people you associate with usually determines your views on things like weed, alcohol, hardcore drugs, etc.

Most of my friends and acquaintances have jobs where sobriety is prized, and demanded. That tends to weed out (no pun intended) the type of person who would have a pot addiction from my life. I won't go out of my way to befriend an addict either, sorry. A close family member is an addict (alcohol) and that has been hell on all of us. So, it's not something I'm going to seek out.
I agree, I don’t see weed as really that harmless mentally. I myself have suffered mental problems from it too and I myself have them to begin with, but it being used occasionally is usually okay. I think it is better to use it socially if one must use it, or at least planned. Long term use made me depressed and nervous, and of course you won’t be the best worker even if you used it last night and not during work. Well, me at least.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You make it sound like it is rare like that everywhere. Probably half of the average working adult group smokes weed at least a few times a month if not every month or two. Most of the people I have hung out with the past few years in my 20s age group not only smoke weed but a lot of it but I am not around them constantly.
You really need to broaden your circle of friends, then...?

It's "normal" to you because those are the people you've surrounded yourself with. People that work in professional fields (doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, administrators, city workers, civic planners, librarians, corporate leads, architects, urban planners, law enforcement, judges, social service workers, federal employees, military, etc., etc.,) don't consume weed on the average number of times you think they do (if they even do so?). Probably less than they consume alcohol, which says a lot.

In order to keep a functioning, orderly society (one that also benefits the weed industry, ironically), those who compose these structural-professional jobs have to, and do, maintain a level of sobriety. Whether you want to believe it or not, you're an outlier on this.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I agree, I don’t see weed as really that harmless mentally. I myself have suffered mental problems from it too and I myself have them to begin with, but it being used occasionally is usually okay. I think it is better to use it socially if one must use it, or at least planned. Long term use made me depressed and nervous, and of course you won’t be the best worker even if you used it last night and not during work. Well, me at least.
Your candor is appreciated!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
You really need to broaden your circle of friends, then...?

It's "normal" to you because those are the people you've surrounded yourself with. People that work in professional fields (doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, administrators, city workers, civic planners, librarians, corporate leads, architects, urban planners, law enforcement, judges, social service workers, federal employees, military, etc., etc.,) don't consume weed on the average number of times you think they do (if they even do so?). Probably less than they consume alcohol, which says a lot.

In order to keep a functioning, orderly society (one that also benefits the weed industry, ironically), those who compose these structural-professional jobs have to, and do, maintain a level of sobriety. Whether you want to believe it or not, you're an outlier on this.
I don’t know why you need to tell me this. I responded to a guy who said it is bad to hang out with stoners or weed smokers, I questioned why or I said it is common. I doubt there are many people who have NEVER had a friend who has smoked weed, even if they are a rocket scientist. Why do I need to be around a lot of scientists, doctors, lawyers, teachers? I am 27, why would people my age be doctors or lawyers aside from a rare few? And btw, SOME teachers and doctors do smoke weed, whether we like it or not. Lawyers as well. I heard it is common but I don’t know any personally and wouldn’t just randomly ask if they smoked. Many of said career people do amphetamines instead, which may be worse for their body but better for their career at first. Do you know how bad lawyers do coke? Not the majority, probably.

Of course cops and military do not smoke, I mean, at least they won’t say or do their best hiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California