Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 07:14 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'd love to hear more about how he was able to reduce San Diego's homeless population while everywhere else in the state the numbers have grown.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-...-governor.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think homelessness is associated with the price of housing more than with any particular Governor. In Sacramento County 4 or 5 years ago you could rent a janky 1 bdrm apt for $700, now they painted them and the rent is $1300. We now have homeless families sleeping in cars outside of apartment complexes.
San Diego isn't cheap. And housing prices have been going up state wide. So even if that is the cause we still need to know how Faulkner was able to buck the trend. And if he has a viable plan to fix the problem state wide.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:41 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
More on Faulconer and homelessness:

Kevin Faulconer is likely to point to one major claim about his time here: that he reduced homelessness.

He’s already touting the statistics and actions. But if historians and voters statewide look at both, they’ll find some inconvenient context and detractors.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...w-his-failure/

Old 03-25-2021, 08:46 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you really think that whiny sniveling Tom McClintock could be elected Governor?

He's not running, so no. Did I think he could win in 2003? No. Never said that either. But he didn't rank near Gary Coleman in that recall either. He was one of the three top vote getters, which was my point. The Republican votes weren't a solidarity movement for Arnold.

The question still remains, who are the Democrats going to stand behind as a contingency for Newsom if he fails to hold his job. I'm way more interested in that than I am talking about Faulconer's lack of name recognition in a thread where oddly and ironically, everyone knows exactly who he is.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
More on Faulconer and homelessness:

Kevin Faulconer is likely to point to one major claim about his time here: that he reduced homelessness.

He’s already touting the statistics and actions. But if historians and voters statewide look at both, they’ll find some inconvenient context and detractors.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...w-his-failure/

Well, I live here and have all my life.... whatever that counts for.
That said, I don't think anyone was really in love with Faulconer any more than they've been in love with a long string of lukewarm city council folks or terrible mayors. When it came to finding a replacement for Bob "face licker" Filner, the bar wasn't very high and Faulconer was there to fill those shoes. The next regular election was simply another chapter in a long saga of terrible candidates running for the position. All this energy being spent to bash the guy for being what's historically true of preceding mayors is silly to anybody being honest and paying attention all these years.

I don't think he's right for governor's seat, but he's not Newsom either. Good enough for me if it happens.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
He's not running, so no. Did I think he could win in 2003? No. Never said that either. But he didn't rank near Gary Coleman in that recall either. He was one of the three top vote getters, which was my point. The Republican votes weren't a solidarity movement for Arnold.

The question still remains, who are the Democrats going to stand behind as a contingency for Newsom if he fails to hold his job. I'm way more interested in that than I am talking about Faulconer's lack of name recognition in a thread where oddly and ironically, everyone knows exactly who he is.
You made a figurative face at Tom Steyer in the thread I posted the other day featuring an article about him and his oblique ‘up-periscope’ about maybe positioning himself to run if the recall was successful against Newsom. Now, I am not advocating for Steyer. And he was never a pick for me in the POTUS race ... but I’ll point out he has name recognition already and the money to make as much more out of it as he might decide to.

You can laugh at him and the idea all you want ... but I’d give the guy some respect if he goes for it. His initial showing in the POTUS race and debates was laughable to me ... but he did a credible job as the debates went on of turning the initial flop performances around.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:27 AM

I don't see a situation where the state Democratic party gets behind a guy like Steyer. That's all.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:29 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Interesting article since a lot of people on here have wondered what Faulconer would have done differently.

Pandemic Exit Interviews: Gavin Newsom opponent Kevin Faulconer on what he'd have done differently

Newsom's most high-profile opponent to this point is former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, a Republican who termed out of office in December. Faulconer governed as a moderate, working with Democrats on homelessness and climate change mitigation initiatives, among other policy issues.

On the pandemic, Faulconer encouraged mask wearing and physical distancing while opening up outdoor spaces for businesses to operate. He was sharply critical of Newsom's mandated business closures, first ramping up his public criticisms of the governor during the winter surge and stay-at-home order........

As we get to the other side of this, there will still be many issues that Californians care deeply about that Sacramento and the governor failed at solving. I've talked about schools already, but homelessness is the really big one. It grows by double digits across the state each year, but I took aggressive action in San Diego and we were the only big city in the state that saw a double digit reduction in homelessness in the two years before the pandemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Looking forward to Governor Faulconer.

But watch, the Newsombots will come here with the same garbage conspiracy theories about all who oppose him being right wing nut jobs, Trumpers, QAnon etc. This is because neither he nor his supporters have any facts or data to support his policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Faulconer is a nobody who achieved nothing, before this nobody outside SD even knew who he was. Everyone knew who Newsome was when he was done being Mayor of SF, ditto for Villaregosa. When you are mayor of the second largest city in CA and no one knows who the f*** you are, you suck arse. Period.

That being said, that might not be enough to prevent Newsome from losing. While Newsom's attempt to preserve life is admirable, he has come across as a total kook. Some of that can be blamed on Trump for throwing Governors into a role that should have been handled by the Feds.

But Newsom's French restaurant debacle might cost him. It showed that he is everything that people say is wrong with Bay Area political leadership. The elitism, arrogance, and hypocrisy turned even Democrats like me off. I'm not sure what putting Faulconer in would achieve. He would just spar with the legislature, which has a super majority of Democrats and would likely be a purely symbolic Republican victory...reeking of opportunism during a crisis.

I am no fan of Newsom, but I believe CA would be just as restrictive if not more restrictive if any of the former governors or candidates including Mr Faulconer was in office.

Kevin Faulcaner just seems a wolf in sheeps skin who seem to support most Progressive policies just like any Democrat in California. Exactly a year ago Mr Faulcaner didn't even wait to see if shutting down parking lots would improve the crowding situation before abruptly turning open outdoor spaces into literal crime scenes with police tape everywhere. While recreating was encouraged there was no where to practically do so except on roads and sidewalks. Literally creating a police state in San Diego. San Diego and its surrounding cities had among the harshest lockdowns in CA. Even progressively ran San Francisco and Los Angeles didn't go nearly as far. San Francisco(despite being a very dense and crowded in tight space city and always had lots of tourism crowds never went farther than shutting down parking lots and certain close contact activites such as ball courts/playgrounds though Golden Gate and other parks and recreational areas remained accessible, while Los Angeles may have fenced off their beaches/boardwalks but other outdoor spaces remain open except during Easter. I believe if this guy was in office the whole state's outdoor spaces would end up the same way.
Though I guess that Scripps Ranch scientist was pretty much warning people in power in San Diego City and County as well as surrounding coastal cities to completely forbid outdoor activities at parks and beaches due to possible COVID19 in sea spray.

As for homeless issue I do agree with the other poster that Nevada and Arizona even its Democrat run cities i.e Las Vegas and Phoenix shockingly lift them to sink and swim onto inhumane conditions. Exactly one year ago they abruptly shut down the shelters(claiming COVID outbreaks) and lodging as well(plenty of $20 a night Inns in Nevada) as well as encampments where there are trees and threw them onto parking lots turning while the parking stalls into boxes for social distancing. Yes black tar parking lots in such a harsh unforgiving climate. Despite how many open spacious abandoned buildings just sitting there including ones the city/county has access to such as event/convention centers. I won't even mention how many abandoned lodging units which I would believe owners if they still have pay to maintain them would love being compensated for.

I be curious how come no one think of putting an Orange County politician into office, I noticed that even a Democrat one seems much less control happy than the rest of the state. I notice Santa Ana seem to be one of those last majority "Democrat" ran cities who don't like to meddle unlike the rest in the state. I bet it was partially the work of Orange county Democrats in the state office who were the ones that helped block overreaching state legislation such as SB270 by voting no.

Yes biggest test is how leaders would resist temptations by interest groups to weld their power during high pressure times like this. Given powers to issue orders at a whelm without needing to lobby the other politicians first. Those who successfully resist temptation are worthy to be voted back in. There is also no proof that parts of the state that took harsher measures fared better than those who much had a relatively hands off policy in terms of enforcement.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 03-25-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 11:15 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I don't see a situation where the state Democratic party gets behind a guy like Steyer. That's all.
I dunno either. But the money is always a Yuge factor in a crunch. Steyer says he does NOT support the recall effort. Yet he goes out and hires the (expensive!) polling that evaluates the field, including himself in it. Steyer has so much wealth he is sometimes considered a balance to the Koch bros.

While Steyer’s money (like Bloomberg’s) couldn’t buy the POTUS pole position ... it will go a LOT further in CA alone.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
As with everything the truth is in the middle and non-partisan

Newsom clearly made mistakes. Especially, with the second closure. At that time we had a lot more data about how the virus spreads. There was a washington DC study that demonstrated insignificant % of cases of the virus being transmitted by outdoor dining and places like nail salons.

Newsom was point-black asked about that data in several conferences and why he still included those businesses in the closures and he didn’t asnwer and ignored the question.

Newsom was very good in the early stages. He screwed it up big time in the later stages.

There was even an article written by a UCSF epidemiologist who said that the strict closures probably made things worse because they pushed people from safer environment (outdoor dining) to more dangerous ones (small indoor gatherings) as people had no outlets and after 9 mos of closured were going to gather anyway.

This is all facts.

--------------

The article about Faulconer is dumb. Shoulda woulda coulda BS.

However, there was ample evidence at the time of the second closure that we needed a more nuanced approach. Newsom chose to ignore it and refused to answer questions about it.

Me personally, I was very proud of Newsom circa September. But I think the buck stops with him and he messed up big time in Nov-Feb and I will be voting to recall him.
These are pretty much exactly my thoughts. I respected his early action, but began to lose faith in him by the summer and now I'm fully on board with the recall.

The lockdowns were sold to us as a way to flatten the curve and not overload the hospitals while building up the proper testing, contract tracing, correct quarantine systems, capacity at hospital, etc. Lockdowns are against the US constitution and never should have happened or at the very least should have only been used as a last resort and/or if we are certain they will help with the endgame. It was also very troubling that one person that was able to make a decision that would ruin many people's livelihoods. However, I was willing to buy them at the time because of what we were promised. I didn't think this state or country had the ability or drive to properly build these up, but I was willing to give them a chance.

But by the summer, we didn't have any of these systems and it was clear that we never would except for maybe testing. So the lockdown should have ended immediately. The only things that made sense to keep were masks, limited indoor restrictions (i.e. capacity limits, social distancing) and maybe bans on crowded enclosed events. Also after the BLM protests, there was NO justification on banning anything outdoors. Period.

The strange half lockdown we were in over the summer made no sense. If we were trying to eliminate COVID, it wasn't enough, but there was no longer any chance of that. If we were worried about hospitals reaching capacity...we weren't anywhere close to it. Still, we appeared to very slowly be moving in the right direction, so I was willing to accept it.

Then came Newsom not following his own guidelines at the French Laundry incident, followed by a spate of other prominent politicians breaking his rules such as the SF mayor doing literally the exact same thing at the exact same place next day, SJ mayor having a big gathering at his house, and the LA city council member who voted to ban outdoor dining and then immediately went to dine outdoors. Even then, I wasn't quite on board with the recall.

But then he announced the December lockdown, with bans on outdoor dining and entertainment centers and all haircuts -- none of which have been shown to be covid drivers. That was when i started to support the recall. (And all of the idiotic Bay Area health officers who decided to "opt in early" also need to go, but unfortunately there's no way to recall them.) He clearly hadn't learned anything about science or the constitution, and it was also clear he had no issues with using dictator powers. (Otherwise, he would have convinced the legislature to initiate it.) The kicker is that he cut off the lifeline to those businesses just to make it look like he was doing something, and all that it got us was the world's biggest outbreak.

And even then, I might have thought having him fight to keep his seat (although let's be honest--he probably won't have to fight very hard) would be good enough to make him get his act together. I supported putting him up for a recall vote, but was open to voting for him to stay if I wasn't impressed by anyone else (which so far, I'm not...although I agree it's pointless to argue over what other candidates would have done.)

BUT--then he decides to gaslight the recall supporters as anti-mask, anti-immigrant, anti-vax, and hardcore Trump supporters. I'm sure some are, but none of these describe me and honestly it's the same with most of the other recall supporters I've talked to. As someone who has been suspicious of lockdowns since last summer, this also hits too close to all the bullying I've gotten most of last year for having any opinion other than "lockdowns are 100% the only way and anyone who disagrees is a grandma killer." Also, given that the primary reason that the recall vote has gotten so much traction is due to his poor handling of covid -- throwing in "anti-immigrant" rhetoric is a red herring and in just plain bad taste. So now I'm voting for him to go no matter what. At this point I'm still not impressed by Faulconer, but won't even think twice about voting for him over Newsom if no one better shows up.

Last edited by Radical347; 03-25-2021 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California