Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Amazing. This is the biggest state tax surplus I've ever heard of, for any state. Kudos Golden State!

I'll applaud the announced state tax rebate, even though I don't qualify
(your adjusted state income on your 540 must be $75,000 or less)

And I honestly believe this rebate would have been proposed even if there was no recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I'll applaud the announced state tax rebate, even though I don't qualify
(your adjusted state income on your 540 must be $75,000 or less)

And I honestly believe this rebate would have been proposed even if there was no recall.
Same. in fact, my state taxes went up substantially for 2020 lol

And knowing Newsom, he already wanted to do this long before the recall effort even began.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:09 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Amazing. This is the biggest state tax surplus I've ever heard of, for any state. Kudos Golden State!

https://apnews.com/article/californi...aade211df21c08
Maybe they can actually pay for the HSR project. LOL

Old 05-10-2021, 11:33 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Thanks to that 16 + billion dollar surplus, taxpayers will be receiving a check for $600 soon. The Gann Limit that was voted in by taxpayers in 1979 is responsible for this. Schools are supposed to benefit from this windfall of money generated by the tax money received. But that's a good thing, if they use the money for the students and classrooms instead of administrative costs and perks.

I can't help wonder . . . if he wasn't facing a recall election, would he be doing it now? There is no time frame for this. He could do this now or a year from now or longer. I've never trusted politicians but in today's culture, I'm even more skeptical of them. It seems like they've resorted to buying votes. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:

https://apnews.com/article/californi...aade211df21c08
So based on that article the State has effectively "found" about 125 Billion. People are known to stuff money in their mattress, but I think this is taking it a bit too far.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:27 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Quote:
Same. in fact, my state taxes went up substantially for 2020 lol

And knowing Newsom, he already wanted to do this long before the recall effort even began.
Sure, but there's no doubt he's trying to highlight the high points of his fiscal management to draw attention away from how badly he screwed the pooch on Covid

Old 05-11-2021, 08:39 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Funny timing, when theres millions who want to recall him. Instead its....oh! I found lots of money! free money for all!!! vote for me!!!!!
Agreed, Newsom has no shame. On the bright side with so much extra money maybe his bootlickers will stop complaining about the cost of the election as if they suddenly cared about fiscal responsibility.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,742,578 times
According to the Sacramento Bee, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Tuesday a proposal to spend $12 billion on affordable units and prevention services to help solve homelessness as part of his $100 billion COVID-19 economic recovery plan.

Newsom this week is touring the state to unveil elements of his budget proposal that’s due to the Legislature by Friday. Newsom announced on Monday that California should expect to see a $75 billion surplus this year, along with another $27 billion in federal aid.

That jaw-dropping number allows for historic investments in solving California’s most significant problems. The $12 billion investment is 10 times the amount California has spent on homelessness solutions in recent years. The money would help finance 46,000 new units to help get people off the streets and into shelter, Newsom said.

The above is great news if true. I'm afraid most of that money will go to managers, consultants, outreach coordinators, and administrators and the remains MIGHT actually trickle down to the few lucky homeless standing first in line.
There is another thread here on CD about the "Paradise Megafire" today, and it claims that the administrators of the Fire Victims Fund spent more money on themselves than on the fire victims so far. Much, much more.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:54 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
According to the Sacramento Bee, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Tuesday a proposal to spend $12 billion on affordable units and prevention services to help solve homelessness as part of his $100 billion COVID-19 economic recovery plan.

Newsom this week is touring the state to unveil elements of his budget proposal that’s due to the Legislature by Friday. Newsom announced on Monday that California should expect to see a $75 billion surplus this year, along with another $27 billion in federal aid.

That jaw-dropping number allows for historic investments in solving California’s most significant problems. The $12 billion investment is 10 times the amount California has spent on homelessness solutions in recent years. The money would help finance 46,000 new units to help get people off the streets and into shelter, Newsom said.

The above is great news if true. I'm afraid most of that money will go to managers, consultants, outreach coordinators, and administrators and the remains MIGHT actually trickle down to the few lucky homeless standing first in line.
There is another thread here on CD about the "Paradise Megafire" today, and it claims that the administrators of the Fire Victims Fund spent more money on themselves than on the fire victims so far. Much, much more.
Did it say where they’ll put 46000 housing units? Homeless are pretty picky on where they’ll squat.. I mean live.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:15 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
It will never happen unless they are compelled to live in said shelters at night. Then it might happen, but I really doubt they have the will to solve the problem. The money will likely be flushed down the toilet, sadly.

And nice of him to give $600 to the people who didn't pay tax to buy their vote. That's the new thing, tax refunds to people who don't pay tax (not a California only issue either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California