Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 05:57 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
We have friends in Texas and Florida. Both say they see an occasional mask, but they’re mostly gone. Pretty much back to normal.
It depends on where (type of location).

I live in the Houston metro.

Walmart definitely does not have a requirement, and I don’t think Kroger does either, but I’m still seeing 100% wearing at Kroger and probably over 90+% at Walmart (both multiple locations since 6/1).

Last weekend I went to an Apple store (finally open for browsing), and masks were required.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:59 PM

4,330 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It depends on where (types of location).

Walmart definitely does not have a requirement, and I don’t think Kroger does either, but I’m still seeing 100% wearing at Kroger and probably over 90+% at Walmart (both multiple locations since 6i/1).

Last weekend I went to an Apple store (finally open for browsing), and masks were required.
I have friends and co-workers in Houston, Dallas and Austin and they all say the same thing. Basically, most people are still wearing masks and many businesses require them, despite the state ordinance. Doesn't sound much different than here in CA, TBH. It seems to be more of an urban vs rural rather than a CA vs TX thing.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:07 PM

50,464 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They can't use Trump now as an excuse to ignore the CDC anymore too. The "science" from CDC only matters when it fits their narrative.
The locals have had it. Hardly anyone at the Padres game cared.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,987,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I have friends and co-workers in Houston, Dallas and Austin and they all say the same thing. Basically, most people are still wearing masks and many businesses require them, despite the state ordinance. Doesn't sound much different than here in CA, TBH. It seems to be more of an urban vs rural rather than a CA vs TX thing.
Depends on where in the metro areas of those three because my experience has been the opposite. People have been wearing less and less masks in Texas so don't think it is anything like California. It is much closer to Florida or Georgia (where I feel like no one wears masks). At least Texas gives you a choice too.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:57 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,288,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It depends on where (type of location).

Walmart definitely does not have a requirement, and I don’t think Kroger does either, but I’m still seeing 100% wearing at Kroger and probably over 90+% at Walmart (both multiple locations since 6/1).

Some of the national corporations have a standard policy, I’m sure. I have friends in San Antonio and Austin. They don’t wear masks anymore, have never been stopped and don’t see it for the most part. There’s a mask here and there and some smaller shops in liberal Austin have demanded it, but it’s definitely different than California.

Your governor banned schools and local governments from imposing mask mandates. I don’t think that affects private business.

Aside from Texas, I see Royal Caribbean caved and will not require vaccine passports. Unvaccinated people can cruise as well. I’m sure the other cruise lines will follow.

Last edited by Mike930; 06-06-2021 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-06-2021, 09:59 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,288,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It’s night and day, at least until June 15. As of now, if I go into a store here, I have to wear a mask. In Texas or Florida, no.

After June 15, it’ll be more equal. Then we won’t have to wear masks in stores anymore.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:07 AM

4,330 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s night and day, at least until June 15. As of now, if I go into a store here, I have to wear a mask. In Texas or Florida, no.

After June 15, it’ll be more equal. Then we won’t have to wear masks in stores anymore.
Sure, but Newsom has left the door open to re-impose mandates if needed. I hope that we won't need to do this, due to a high vaccination rate and limited community spread, but only time will tell.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:50 PM

Wow

During a vaccine lottery event Friday, Democratic California governor Gavin Newsom reneged on his promise to lift the state’s emergency declaration after June 15, allowing him to retain the powers to mandate sweeping COVID restrictions.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-go...nAtKqZlUnhPdcK

Old 06-06-2021, 01:47 PM

14,365 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow

During a vaccine lottery event Friday, Democratic California governor Gavin Newsom reneged on his promise to lift the state’s emergency declaration after June 15, allowing him to retain the powers to mandate sweeping COVID restrictions.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-go...nAtKqZlUnhPdcK
Interesting that he did this even with the recall looming. He must really think a majority of voters will continue to support him no matter what. Maybe he's right? Some people really see government overreach as a genuine, good-faith attempt to "keep everyone safe."

Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Interesting that he did this even with the recall looming. He must really think a majority of voters will continue to support him no matter what. Maybe he's right? Some people really see government overreach as a genuine, good-faith attempt to "keep everyone safe."
He's not too bright with a recall looming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California