Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:53 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Heres what the numbers are currently.

California has an average daily case rate of 3 per 100,000 and case rates have fallen 15% in the last two weeks. Texas is 5 per 100,000 and case rates have fallen 20% in the last two weeks.

Nebraska, Maryland, Vermont, and South Dakota all have case rates of less than 2 per 100,000.

Wyoming, Colorado, Washington, Louisiana, and Nevada all have case rates over 10 per 100,000 with Wyoming being the worst at 16.

I bring all this up because there is no correlation between any of these. Some states with low cases have no rules at all on masks and some have strict rules.

To me, telling people who have been fully vaccinated to still wear masks is the same as saying "we dont believe in the science". It all goes back to politics and not safety IMO. Trump and Republicans had a very lax and skeptical view on masks, so liberals had to adopt the opposite view. That was fine before vaccines were with us, but now that they are, this needs to be revised. But it cant be quit. Its political virtue signaling. Its a way of saying FU to Trump and Republicans. I personally have never voted for a Republican in my life, but if I still lived in California Id vote for whoever ran against Newsom. I do see this as being about control and not about safety because hes not even listening to the CDC.

The Guardian is a liberal publication and they outline it well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ckdown/618780/

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Do you really think that the people who have been complaining about government overreach were going to vote no for the recall anyway? The fact is that there are more Californians who put protecting health and safety above all else and would be willing to have further restrictions if needed.

I don't like the restrictions myself, but I don't blame Newsom. I blame all the anti-vaxxers who are preventing us from reaching herd immunity. I personally don't think Newsom will need to exercise these powers, given that the COVID cases are likely to stay relatively low, but if he did, I don't blame Newsom for trying to protect lives.
Heres the problem: herd immunity isnt going to be a thing with Covid and isnt with almost all viruses. The key is to live with it, not to isolate and mask and hope it goes away. We need to continue to ask people to get vaccines that is true, but once they do we need to relinquish the paranoia. Life contains risk and if a person gets a vaccine and still wont do anything outside or with a mask, maybe the real world isnt for them.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:09 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Heres what the numbers are currently.

California has an average daily case rate of 3 per 100,000 and case rates have fallen 15% in the last two weeks. Texas is 5 per 100,000 and case rates have fallen 20% in the last two weeks.

Nebraska, Maryland, Vermont, and South Dakota all have case rates of less than 2 per 100,000.

Wyoming, Colorado, Washington, Louisiana, and Nevada all have case rates over 10 per 100,000 with Wyoming being the worst at 16.

I bring all this up because there is no correlation between any of these. Some states with low cases have no rules at all on masks and some have strict rules.

To me, telling people who have been fully vaccinated to still wear masks is the same as saying "we dont believe in the science". It all goes back to politics and not safety IMO. Trump and Republicans had a very lax and skeptical view on masks, so liberals had to adopt the opposite view. That was fine before vaccines were with us, but now that they are, this needs to be revised. But it cant be quit. Its political virtue signaling. Its a way of saying FU to Trump and Republicans. I personally have never voted for a Republican in my life, but if I still lived in California Id vote for whoever ran against Newsom. I do see this as being about control and not about safety because hes not even listening to the CDC.

The Guardian is a liberal publication and they outline it well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ckdown/618780/

Heres the problem: herd immunity isnt going to be a thing with Covid and isnt with almost all viruses. The key is to live with it, not to isolate and mask and hope it goes away. We need to continue to ask people to get vaccines that is true, but once they do we need to relinquish the paranoia. Life contains risk and if a person gets a vaccine and still wont do anything outside or with a mask, maybe the real world isnt for them.
The left has labeled anyone that won’t lockstep and get the vaccine as an anti-vaxxer. Prior to this, anti-vaxxers were people that said all vaccines caused autism, had mercury, etc and would not take any of them. Sure, there are some of those in this group that don’t want the covid vaccine, but others want to wait for more safety data and FDA approval.

The left thought (some hoped) that businesses and politicians would make it difficult for anyone not getting the vaccine by barring them from service, flying, etc. That’s turning out not to be the case. Stores aren’t requiring proof of vaccination and now a cruise line has caved (thank you Gov Desantis) and won’t bar unvaccinated people from going on cruises.

Once we have the approval and extra data, I’ll reconsider my position, but for now, no.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The left has labeled anyone that won’t lockstep and get the vaccine as an anti-vaxxer. Prior to this, anti-vaxxers were people that said all vaccines caused autism, had mercury, etc and would not take any of them. Sure, there are some of those in this group that don’t want the covid vaccine, but others want to wait for more safety data and FDA approval.

The left thought (some hoped) that businesses and politicians would make it difficult for anyone not getting the vaccine by barring them from service, flying, etc. That’s turning out not to be the case. Stores aren’t requiring proof of vaccination and now a cruise line has caved (thank you Gov Desantis) and won’t bar unvaccinated people from going on cruises.

Once we have the approval and extra data, I’ll reconsider my position, but for now, no.
It's very disturbing how many people wanted places to have everyone show their vaccine card acting like this has been done before and is somehow normal. People trying to compare going to an event or any place for that matter to enrolling a child in school. They're so obsessed with trying to force others to get vaccinated they don't see what a slippery slope that is. It's also possibly very counter productive in encouraging people to get the vaccine.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:30 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
So I jsut got this email from Children's Fairyland in Oakland, we used to have a membership and take our kids there, regarding masks after June 15th:

So, Fairyland will continue to require wearing face masks inside the park throughout the summer season for all guests age two and older. All staff will remain masked as well.

Before you email back to say, "What about the science? The CDC says it is ok for us to be unmasked outside," know that we are paying close attention to science. We believe that this is a transition period in the pandemic and right now emotions matter as much as the science.

At least they are being honest unlike a lot of the people. It's a security blanket for a lot of people.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:34 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

To go into this further, these types were mostly the liberal/vegan types. In other words, the healthiest of people because they watch what goes into their bodies. There are definitely cases of vaccines causing harm such as autism, but by in large vaccines are pretty safe (at least the ones who get as a child that have been used for decades). Calling people who don't want the covid-19 EUA vaccine an "anti-vaxxer" is just crazy. People who didn't receive the flu shots (over half the country) weren't called "anti-vaxxers". It's also why I hate the term "unvaccinated" too. I'm not vaccinated with the covid-19 one, correct. But I had others when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So I jsut got this email from Children's Fairyland in Oakland, we used to have a membership and take our kids there, regarding masks after June 15th:

So, Fairyland will continue to require wearing face masks inside the park throughout the summer season for all guests age two and older. All staff will remain masked as well.

Before you email back to say, "What about the science? The CDC says it is ok for us to be unmasked outside," know that we are paying close attention to science. We believe that this is a transition period in the pandemic and right now emotions matter as much as the science.

At least they are being honest unlike a lot of the people. It's a security blanket for a lot of people.
They want so badly to keep the paranoia going and it'll work on the CA population that listens to authority. If it wasn't already clear to people, it should be clear now this has nothing to do with public safety, and is all about control. What happened to the old school California that said "eff authority!"?

Old 06-08-2021, 12:16 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
San Diego County just went yellow tier 5 min ago so we'll see what Newsolini has to say about that on the 15th.

"California will NOT fully reopen on June 15 as Gavin Newsom had previously indicated," tweeted former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer. "Other states have been safely open for months, but Newsom refuses to follow the science. It's time to recall him. "

"In California, we have: One of the highest vaccination rates in the nation, Less than 1000 new cases/day, Relaxed CDC guidance," tweeted Caitlyn Jenner. "Yet Newsom still refuses to open up. Is this what trusting the science looks like?"

"Is anyone really surprised that @GavinNewsom wants to move the goalposts again?" wrote his 2018 opponent John Cox. "Enough is enough - it’s time to fully reopen our state!"

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...l-16225413.php

Old 06-08-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Do you really think that the people who have been complaining about government overreach were going to vote no for the recall anyway? The fact is that there are more Californians who put protecting health and safety above all else and would be willing to have further restrictions if needed.

I don't like the restrictions myself, but I don't blame Newsom. I blame all the anti-vaxxers who are preventing us from reaching herd immunity. I personally don't think Newsom will need to exercise these powers, given that the COVID cases are likely to stay relatively low, but if he did, I don't blame Newsom for trying to protect lives.
Quote:

EMOTIONS DONT MATTER AT ALL! Science is all that matters in a pandemic. Just like the disillusioned Trumpers that drone on and on about the election being "stolen". Their feelings and emotions also do not matter when they cling to falsehoods like a security blanket.

We need to protect people, not feelings. Whether risk is minimal to a person without a mask or whether we have definitive proof an election wasnt stolen, those people need to suck it up and get over it.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:13 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
EMOTIONS DONT MATTER AT ALL! Science is all that matters in a pandemic. Just like the disillusioned Trumpers that drone on and on about the election being "stolen". Their feelings and emotions also do not matter when they cling to falsehoods like a security blanket.

We need to protect people, not feelings. Whether risk is minimal to a person without a mask or whether we have definitive proof an election wasnt stolen, those people need to suck it up and get over it.
Hard science says there are two sexes/genders, but I am going to guess you don't accept that science.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
S

Before you email back to say, "What about the science? The CDC says it is ok for us to be unmasked outside," know that we are paying close attention to science. We believe that this is a transition period in the pandemic and right now emotions matter as much as the science.[/i]

True. I can't prioritize other people's emotions though. I naturally avoid trying to make anyone feel bad, but not if I have to feel bad in the process. Wearing a mask not only makes me feel bad but doing it for the sake of making others feel better insults my intelligence too.

Old 06-08-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Hard science says there are two sexes/genders, but I am going to guess you don't accept that science.
And you think I feel that way based on what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California