Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 11:03 AM

6,392 posts, read 2,725,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
1) Let's remember this past winter.

2) There's no evidence that Newsom has significant influence on Cal-OSHA.

I guess you can believe that he has no significant(or otherwise) influence over the people he appointed. Of course, you could also believe that they are all Republicans who dislike Newsom.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:25 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,896,473 times
https://www.dir.ca.gov/oshsb/oshsb_roster.html

Who sounds like his or her expertise would be overridden by loyalty to the governor? Does this sound like Cal-OSHA has been very tough on workplaces? https://www.kqed.org/news/11875988/m...ers-vulnerable

You're just saying what you want to believe. It's not an unreasonable decision to continue to require masks for most workers.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:11 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,503,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
There are still people in CA that believe that on June 15th everything is going to open back up and CA will be back to "normal", not aware that Newsom has basically backtracked on every single thing he said. While some have been direct, he is also using agencies like CalOSHA to keep his desire in place. Let's see what happens on the 15th when people start to realize that nothing is really changing.
Newsom's confused semi-backtrack on the June 15 opening was disappointing. He probably realized, much like bureaucrats like Sara Cody, that his ability to completely control everybody's lives is coming to an end. Politicians love power and hate to give it up! (Just look at Trump and all his election conspiracies, LMAO.) I'm not sure a 100% return to "normal" on June 15 is essential to the governor's longevity, but entertaining Cal OSHA's arbitrary, non-science-based directives beyond early summer could prove problematic. And if schools aren't 100% open and back to normal come this fall, I'm sure his head will roll.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:30 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,308,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Actually, states that have reopened are NOT doing better than California health wise. In fact, they're seeing per capita COVID case counts currently much higher than CA. You must've missed my other point though where I said it's unlikely they'll need to put forth any more restrictions, given that COVID cases are improving everywhere (which is a good thing).
According to the NYT Dashboard, FL's new case rate per 100,000 is 6 new cases, CA's is 2. Not much of a difference considering FL has been almost fully open for 8 months or more. Deaths are .16 per 100k for FL and .07 for CA. Again, not much of a difference. FL unemployment rate is 4.8%, CA 8.3%. FL schools have been fully open with activities (sports, drama, choral, etc) and CA's have been shut down.

No one knows the long term impact CAs policies will have on jobs and children, but it gives social scientists lots to chew on the next 20 years.

Quote:
Well, that was some right wing partisan judge who...
Ha ha ha, OMG! 50 years of left wing partisan judges making up laws and not a peep, but a judge follows the law and Supreme Court precedence and you come unglued.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't care about the literal definition of this. Regardless of the fact that I'm not an expert on all types of guns, I think they need to be pulled off streets. They are killing machines. Too many get in the hands of irresponsible people and we need much, much stricter gun laws. You want to go hunting? Fine, license your rifle with the government and have it stored in a public place when you're done.
You do know that something like 94% of all gun deaths are caused by handguns, right? "Assault" rifles aren't the problem.

Do you know what they call 58 people shot with 5 dead? No, no; it isn't a "mass shooting" it is called, "The Weekend" in Chicago. I'd even be willing to bet 95% of the people shot are people of color, but where is BLM? AOC? Kamala? Joe "Jim Crow 2.0" Biden?

Quote:
Is January 6th your idea of keeping the government in check?
No, it is more like the riots from June 2020 until now that killed dozens of people, ambush shootings of law enforcement, billions in property damage..... and no one is being prosecuted.

Quote:
Sounds like a typical Fox News response to pretend this was just some minor event. This is the type of armed militia that we should all be worried about. Perhaps you don't care about them, as they're on your side, but it just proves how too many bad people can access guns too easily.
Your response sounds like a typical [pick one or more] (MSNBC, CNN, PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, HLN) News response to pretend that the riots were not riots. The only people armed on Jan. 6 appear to have been law enforcement, since they are the only ones who fired a shot on Jan. 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Other states are doing "just as well"? Have you checked out Florida, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, etc....Look at their recent stats in comparison to California.
See above.

CA is incrementally better than FL, but at what cost to children's mental health and education, especially in disadvantaged communities. At what cost to the economy and people's livelihoods? You have to balance risk and return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa1984 View Post
Only gun I saw on 1/6 was the one that shot the Trump supporter. Hey, did she deserve it? Maybe, but.....
No one can make a real judgment about the Capitol Police Officer shooting an unarmed civilian since we know NOTHING about it.

We don't know who fired the shot and why. We haven't seen any official video cam from inside the Capitol, or body cam video. There has been zero transparency. Why isn't the Left asking for as much transparency and accountability here as they have in other police shootings the past year?

Old 06-07-2021, 04:11 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,114,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Keep letting in people with no history of their lives. What could possibly go wrong. Or, we can blame a piece of iron that needs a human to use it illegally. This is pretty simple math. If I was from Guatemala and shot up a bar and killed multiple people I can now claim "asylum" in the US and there is no record of my transgressions. That's where we are right now.
My spouse literally had a coworker at a previous company that was in prison for murder in Mexico.

Like here he was unemployable after release so escaped to the US illegally leaving his kids behind and getting out of all child support edicts. He apparently dealt meth on the side to pay for child support for his 4 kids here too. I think he also had a DUI.

As someone that's travels to Latin America frequently, I will be the first to tell you these countries certainly have pretty nice areas, particularly in the cities near jobs. Educated, responsible people in all countries whether it's Guatemala, Mexico, Colombia can live pretty well. Theres a reason you don't see many Guatemalan electrical engineers, nurses or even people in skilled manufacturing fleeing over the border. I work with a lot of educated Hispanics and many of them support border control.

Last edited by njbiodude; 06-07-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 08:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,288,549 times
Attached Thumbnails
Cal/OSHA has spoken, you will continue to wear a mask-00908c33-4d8c-4ec8-b7b6-21e2b96b22a4.gif  

Old 06-07-2021, 10:03 PM

50,461 posts, read 47,177,398 times
This is rich from the complete coward leaving anon reps.

(And jump off your high horse) Quote-"Board made clear that the regulations are only a stopgap while they consider further easing pandemic rules in coming weeks"

Is that you Newsolini? I could report to mods but you aren't worth my time.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:23 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,706,548 times
Quote:
This is rich from the complete coward leaving anon reps.

(And jump off your high horse) Quote-"Board made clear that the regulations are only a stopgap while they consider further easing pandemic rules in coming weeks"

Pretty lame, I don't get why people do that. It's already an anonymous message board site..

My guess is during that "stopgap" a poll will be done and Newsom will see if it's helping or hurting him then decide what CalOSHA should further do.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:28 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,288,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pretty lame, I don't get why people do that. It's already an anonymous message board site..

My guess is during that "stopgap" a poll will be done and Newsom will see if it's helping or hurting him then decide what CalOSHA should further do.
What’s really funny is that for all the “science” people, do you notice a little disclaimer when you buy the masks most people are using? Just an example:

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produ...p-page-content

“Pack includes 5 reusable personal-use, non-medical grade…”

The masks most people are wearing are not medical grade masks and aren’t meant to offer real protection. It’s a joke (placebo).

Old 06-08-2021, 10:39 AM

1,643 posts, read 1,114,248 times
Quote:

Newsom has been saying 2 more weeks since last March. He previously said everything would be open June 15. Surprise! He lied again. With actual cases and deaths being the lowest they've ever been (my county has had less than 2 cases per 100,000 people for almost a month) it's utterly absurd. Theres no vaccination or other metrics other than every single worker at a location must be vaccinated.

I mean if you're going to require them to work just do it. But this passive aggressive bs is helping noone. And the people that refuse the vaccine are so annoyed they'll dig in their heels even harder. Even in the Bay Area 15-20% of people refuse the vaccine.

He's now keeping his "state of emergency" going indefinitely as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California