Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 11:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times

Advertisements

No toddlers are being handcuffed....

Also, almost never do small children need to fly, and I shed no tears for adults who don't fly because their kids can't come with them. This is a pandemic; people need to put health first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 11:57 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
No toddlers are being handcuffed....

Also, almost never do small children need to fly, and I shed no tears for adults who don't fly because their kids can't come with them. This is a pandemic; people need to put health first.
If you’re moving from Hawaii to the mainland or vice versa, driving isn’t an option. If a family is making a military or other necessary move, do they deserve to be prosecuted and potentially jailed for a 2 year old baby who won’t keep their mask on while REAL criminals are being let off the hook under the name of social justice? Or do you think they should abandon their kid so they can make a necessary move to avoid prosecution? If you want to live in a pandemic lockdown until Covid goes way, go ahead and enjoy your isolation until you hit the grave but stop insisting everyone else suffer for your fears. Others have lives to live and insisting that a 2 year old be either abandoned or criminally prosecuted for not keeping their mask on during a necessary flight to move to a place they can’t drive to shows your lack of compassion. I doubt you have ever spent much time outside your ivory tower neighborhood even before Covid. Spend some time in a sketchy area and you’ll actually realize that Covid is the LEAST of our problems but the way things are going, the stuff that’s going on in sketchy neighborhoods is drifting into a the affluent areas so you might actually get a dose of reality to WHY Covid restrictions can’t work in California the way they work in China.

Last edited by ThinkingOutsideTheBox; 01-26-2022 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2022, 10:12 AM

995 posts, read 509,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We were off the chain in San Diego for an entire year until the Gestapo said we had to conform to his rules or else. It's hilarious walking through stores like Home Depot and seeing people just daring someone to say something. Contractors can be tough Hombres.
What's the percentage of mask-wearers in a place like that? Here, it's about 50/50, but we're not under a mandate. The City of Atlanta does, it'd be curious to compare COA with Gwinnett - lol.

Mask rates in non-tourist Florida is very, very low - under 10% in most places. It was so relaxing seeing bare-faced servers at restaurants and stores. Even places that require them for their employees are lax about enforcing them - I notice that in my local area as well.

Anyone wanna bet on how long masks will stay in California? One thing is for sure - cases will not fall to CDC levels of "low transmission" for a very long time, if ever. This is due to the nature of the omicron coronavirus, endemic spread like the common cold going forward. I'm curious if we'll become an America of the masked and unmasked, considering we already have such a schism in the South with liberal cities and rural countryside.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:47 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
If they are wearing a mask alone in their car, who are they protecting?
Drive thru workers? Traffic cops?

Old 01-26-2022, 07:10 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
What's the percentage of mask-wearers in a place like that? Here, it's about 50/50, but we're not under a mandate. The City of Atlanta does, it'd be curious to compare COA with Gwinnett - lol.

Mask rates in non-tourist Florida is very, very low - under 10% in most places. It was so relaxing seeing bare-faced servers at restaurants and stores. Even places that require them for their employees are lax about enforcing them - I notice that in my local area as well.

Anyone wanna bet on how long masks will stay in California? One thing is for sure - cases will not fall to CDC levels of "low transmission" for a very long time, if ever. This is due to the nature of the omicron coronavirus, endemic spread like the common cold going forward. I'm curious if we'll become an America of the masked and unmasked, considering we already have such a schism in the South with liberal cities and rural countryside.
Oh, the clown show will continue. Most stores won't question you if you don't wear one. They just don't want to risk getting shut down. Newsolini said two more weeks, just like he did 156 weeks ago. He is so drunk on power it's writing itself a movie.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,166 times
I guess I was wrong. Let it rip. No one wants to have the restrictions back. Losing out money for a business owner. Too much trouble for a customer. And just to sit in a restaurant, you'll need a vaccine card to dine in. Or in the amusement parks, they're checking for vaccine card and test results to get in. Obviously for the customers, nobody wants this. Too much trouble to go through on the customers' side.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:48 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
I'm still questioning why people thinks masks are anything as valuable as the vaccine. They aren't. The numbers have skyrocketed and proves they are worthless.
No one said that they're as "valuable" as the vaccine. But how anyone could think that a mask would not reduce the transmission of an airborne virus is hard to understand.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No one said that they're as "valuable" as the vaccine. But how anyone could think that a mask would not reduce the transmission of an airborne virus is hard to understand.
It is more a case of people not wanting to do something they do not like, than actually realizing it still has benefits not just to them but to others. It reduces the likelihood of getting it, not eliminating it, for both those wearing it and people near by wearing one or not.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:56 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ok, to spool this up yet one more time. Most people still aren't wearing a N95 type mask and most that are, aren't wearing them correctly and re-using them. Most settings require indoor masking for about 10 feet into a restaurant. It's obvious they don't work because the fully vaxxed mask wearers are getting covid. If masks worked why are these good subjects still getting it? That's a pretty simply question that doesn't need links or data bases full of twisted data.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:25 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
... If masks worked why are these good subjects still getting it? That's a pretty simply question that doesn't need links or data bases full of twisted data.
The general answer is that masks work incrementally well (or incrementally poorly), as does social distancing and so on. Because we don't have good data - with a trial-group and a control group - we struggle to factually assert what's really going on. Thus we default to our inherent biases.

So let's stipulate that masks result in some aggregate benefit, in terms of X fewer infections and Y fewer deaths and Z fewer long-covid cases. Even if we had hard-numbers on this, it would remain to show, that X-Y-Z benefit justifies the effort invovled.

Let's try a thought experiment. There are 7.8B billion in the world. Let's suppose that all 7.8B wear masks religiously. Let's further supposet that exactly one human life is consequently saved, and that somehow, magically, we know this for a fact. OK. Now I ask: is the juice worth the squeeze? Is the inconvenience of 7.8B masks worth one life? I would say, no.

Now what if the number is 10 lives. Now Y = 10. How about it? I say, no. What if Y = 100? Still I say, no.

But eventually the answer becomes "yes". What if Y = 1B? Then likely the answer would be yes. But is that the right number? Likely the participants in this thread, could not agree.

Returning to reality, we do not know X, Y or Z... we can only guess. So we are doubly-befuddled, even if we stipulated that masks do provide SOME benefit. We don't know the benefit, and even if we did, we'd not be able to agree on whether said benefit is worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California