Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 05:00 PM

382 posts, read 179,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm sure the Bay Area will keep all the mask mandates since they really only lifted it for a month last summer. You guys in SD can enjoy it though. Bay area will probably hold onto this as long as they can because people are good little lemmings up here.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...fmc_id=2174183
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 05:03 PM

382 posts, read 179,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Things we've known for at least a year. Immunity from natural infection+ booster vaccinations should help immensely (but I do think the vaccines need to be updated more for each variant at least annually).

I'm a lot more scared of the government actions against the disease than the disease itself, especially now.

I work in a high risk occupation where so many of my coworkers (and usually subsequently their entire families) have gotten the disease in the last 2 years I can barely count them. There were no deaths and only I think one person went to the hospital briefly. Granted I work with mostly healthier working age people so the mortality is a lot lower than say a nursing home. But that's probably part of the reason I'm a lot more nonchalant about it than lots of tech workers that have existed in a work from home/grubhub/CNN fear blasting bubble for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, the Bay Area has far too many of those types.
Yes, plenty of those types up here walking alone on the sidewalk and driving in their cars wearing their masks. They think they're so special and smarter than everyone. Smartest, dumbest city I've ever lived in, don't blame you one bit for leaving. Lmao.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:39 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
I'm sure the Bay Area will keep all the mask mandates since they really only lifted it for a month last summer. You guys in SD can enjoy it though. Bay area will probably hold onto this as long as they can because people are good little lemmings up here.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...fmc_id=2174183
People have had enough of the non-sense. Every store I've visited were people just daring someone to point out they don't have a mask. As it should be.

Gavin (the maskless) can find some other thing to spend his time.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:10 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Things we've known for at least a year. Immunity from natural infection+ booster vaccinations should help immensely (but I do think the vaccines need to be updated more for each variant at least annually).

I'm a lot more scared of the government actions against the disease than the disease itself, especially now.

I work in a high risk occupation where so many of my coworkers (and usually subsequently their entire families) have gotten the disease in the last 2 years I can barely count them. There were no deaths and only I think one person went to the hospital briefly. Granted I work with mostly healthier working age people so the mortality is a lot lower than say a nursing home. But that's probably part of the reason I'm a lot more nonchalant about it than lots of tech workers that have existed in a work from home/grubhub/CNN fear blasting bubble for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, the Bay Area has far too many of those types.
I’m going to put a little extra fine point in here … nothing personal … just a good segue.

What was covered in the article wasn’t anything you’ve actually *known* … you couldn’t *know* with scientific certainty … you *believed* … and with rational reasons.

Science didn’t *know* what had to be proven :. We didn’t *know*.

Why is this not just semantics? Because it leads back to your question of “how long will the restrictions remain?”

Jump for a minute to a different scenario: a school shooting. Is a lockdown really necessary? For how long after the apparent shooter is apprehended?

The answers are: yes … and: until law enforcement is absolutely certain of no further involvement by hidden players.

Back to Covid: you can be frustrated and ridiculing of the investigators and various levels of leadership all you want. But the fact is: this was a new set … requiring a lot of learning. Personally, I’m impressed how rapidly the learning curve has advanced.

Not quite done yet. But clarity is beginning to take shapes. In spite of some wrong guesses … in spite of some leadership faux-pas[z] … we begin to emerge.

Rant as you all will … I’m fairly impressed with the science. And, having slogged through a career in the military, I can easily shrug off layers of management inefficiency, some ineptitude, some fumbling, and some outright stupidity as best efforts to clear the threat were undertaken by a lot of very excellent players as well.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:22 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
And when do you genuinely think Covid restrictions will end in the Bay Area? I've had 2 cooking classes cancelled recently do to fear of us tasting food without masks. Parents still freak out in public at my kid for being unmasked and playing with their kid outdoors.

Much of the US dropped most of their mandates last spring and it's been over completely. In this area the insanity has actually been ramping it up recently. Lots of parents are freaking out about Omicron despite the fact that its milder and almost everyone here is vaccinated. One of the "friends" I know invites me out to drink with him at bars a few times a month (he's turned into a total alcoholic during Covid) but tells me he's so scared for his toddler and our kids need to wear masks if they hang out.

There's now a discussion of a new variant which of course is freaking everyone out all over again. I wouldnt be surprised is school mask mandates exist every winter permanently here and I doubt all the people I see wearing N95s and gloves while walking alone on the beach are just going to flip a switch and suddenly be pleasant people again a month from now when cases inevitably drop.

The best part is you don't even have to go that far to get away from much of the madness. Getting out of the greater Bay Area and LA county usually puts you into a completely different world as far as covid enforcement.
This right here is why I understand you. I agree with Mutt that if you love it, you should wait it out, but how long is long enough? I love San Diego, but if this madness is still here in 3 years, and unjustified, meaning new variants are as mild as Omicron or less so, I will strongly consider moving as well. Not to teach anyone anything, but I don't want to live amongst irrational people. What you describe is absolutely nuts, people getting more afraid after Omicron? It should be going the other way? People should feel relieved. By now almost everyone has either gotten some form of Covid or the Vax I imagine (not scientific, just my opinion, so don't fact check it!). San Diego is way less fearful, so maybe you just need to get out of the Bay Area.

I'm just super thankful I don't have children in school.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:24 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m going to put a little extra fine point in here … nothing personal … just a good segue.

What was covered in the article wasn’t anything you’ve actually *known* … you couldn’t *know* with scientific certainty … you *believed* … and with rational reasons.

Science didn’t *know* what had to be proven :. We didn’t *know*.

Why is this not just semantics? Because it leads back to your question of “how long will the restrictions remain?”

Jump for a minute to a different scenario: a school shooting. Is a lockdown really necessary? For how long after the apparent shooter is apprehended?

The answers are: yes … and: until law enforcement is absolutely certain of no further involvement by hidden players.

Back to Covid: you can be frustrated and ridiculing of the investigators and various levels of leadership all you want. But the fact is: this was a new set … requiring a lot of learning. Personally, I’m impressed how rapidly the learning curve has advanced.

Not quite done yet. But clarity is beginning to take shapes. In spite of some wrong guesses … in spite of some leadership faux-pas[z] … we begin to emerge.

Rant as you all will … I’m fairly impressed with the science. And, having slogged through a career in the military, I can easily shrug off layers of management inefficiency, some ineptitude, some fumbling, and some outright stupidity as best efforts to clear the threat were undertaken by a lot of very excellent players as well.
Meanwhile you left Ca to ride Covid out in Washington. Why are you hassling him about wanting to leave San Francisco when you claimed to have also left SF? Why did you leave?

Old 02-07-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
This right here is why I understand you. I agree with Mutt that if you love it, you should wait it out, but how long is long enough? I love San Diego, but if this madness is still here in 3 years, and unjustified, meaning new variants are as mild as Omicron or less so, I will strongly consider moving as well. Not to teach anyone anything, but I don't want to live amongst irrational people. What you describe is absolutely nuts, people getting more afraid after Omicron? It should be going the other way? People should feel relieved. By now almost everyone has either gotten some form of Covid or the Vax I imagine (not scientific, just my opinion, so don't fact check it!). San Diego is way less fearful, so maybe you just need to get out of the Bay Area.

I'm just super thankful I don't have children in school.
Where exactly - in the whole wide world - would you find a rational civilization full of rational people?

Pardon my humor

Or are you planning to leave the planet?

Old 02-07-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Meanwhile you left Ca to ride Covid out in Washington. Why are you hassling him about wanting to leave San Francisco when you claimed to have also left SF? Why did you leave?
You have chirped a number of times in the past couple years about me having left California. You really want to know why I left (temporarily)? Okay …

My military marina closed early in the pandemic … March of 2020. Literally closed. Retirees were restricted from base. I couldn’t even access my boat without special permission from the PMO … and then only to board and sail out. State park campgrounds closed, so I couldn’t alternately live in my camper van at that time.

I had bought property in the Washington islands some years back … one for my son and another for my late wife who taught part-time in colleges up there. I built cabins for them. My wife was ailing through 2020 as well …. She couldn’t join me in California as before, so I left to care for her up north … she loved that little place … she passed away at home there the following winter, new years 2021.

I just returned to California this winter … but have already headed back north. In the year since wife passed, I’ve built a third cabin on what is now my property alone. I am immersed in re-creating the landscaping and cabins for rentals … and repairing / renovating some at another small farm for the widow and kids of a dear friend who passed away a few months before my wife … across the Sound from my place.

When all those projects and my friend’s widow and their kids are squared away … I’ll decide what to do next … and where.

Now you’re all up to date on me, eh?

Old 02-07-2022, 09:43 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
Latest numbers:
  • Average Covid death rate in the U.S. is 2,806 per million.
  • Average Covid death rate in California is 2,066 per million (26% below the national average)
California's science-based approach paid off and was the right path to take.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:47 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Latest numbers:
  • Average Covid death rate in the U.S. is 2,806 per million.
  • Average Covid death rate in California is 2,066 per million (26% below the national average)
California's science-based approach paid off and was the right path to take.
Imagine how much lower it would be if Newsom had been more consistent with the COVID restrictions and didn't cave into political pressure? But, it's asking too much to expect people to help protect others in their communities, rather than only looking out for their self interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California