Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:26 AM

382 posts, read 179,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I said we were average. We have no mandates or rules. Life is just normal here we don’t even talk about Covid. You should come visit maybe it’ll clear your head
Not to mention Idaho's unemployment rate ranking at #4, compared to Ca's at 51. Great job, Newsolini. Ca also had the highest business closure rate last I saw back in Aug 2021. All the Dem states rank at the bottom with the exception of Alaska. Interesting, how all the Dem governors are lifting mask mandates now. Even provinces in Canada are beginning to remove the Dictator's covid restrictions, but idiot school boards continue to mask kids.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 10:31 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I already knew the answer. You were referring to mediabiasfactcheck which is about the only source out there which calls politifact "left-center". The problem with your source is they themselves are left biased.

We agree the others do get higher marks but not politifact which is why thats the one I called out.
No, I wasn’t. There are several media bias surveyors to sample. Here’s another reputable review:

PolitiFact

Bias: Middle

Reliability: Reliable, Analysis/Fact Reporting

https://adfontesmedia.com/politifact...d-reliability/

Don’t like it? Look up a good rebuttal.

Meanwhile, you identified one of four sources in question as being biased. One … of four. And the one you identified has mixed, contradicting reviews from multiple sources. Other sources were: Neutral (Newsweek), ‘Lean-right’ (Forbes), ‘Strictly Pro-Science, no political influences’ (Science journal).

All considered, a nicely balanced set of links from CA4Now.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:42 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This article is from a YEAR ago.
Yes it takes a while for things to be peer reviewed.

It doesn't stop news sources like the Washington Post to publish articles in August of 2020 stating the mortality rate of covid was 6%, despite scientists (including the WHO citing peer reviewed studies) knowing for months this was off by at least a factor of 10 (this is pre-vaccine of course) and present it as fact. But they'll be the first to immediately discount a new study from members associated with Johns Hopkins and screech about how the study's methodology is all wrong and how it's not peer reviewed even though it's brand new etc because that doesn't fit a certain fear narrative they've been selling.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:39 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Yes it takes a while for things to be peer reviewed.
Those are two different studies. The study from your Newsweek link was peer reviewed....it analyzed coronavirus case growth in 10 countries in early 2020. (Early 2020!)

Old 02-09-2022, 03:36 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ctions/621627/

This is what I've been saying since everyone had access to two vaxxes. It was time to drop all mandatory restrictions back in June.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:17 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ctions/621627/

This is what I've been saying since everyone had access to two vaxxes. It was time to drop all mandatory restrictions back in June.
Yup and San Diego did until you know who needed more attention.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Not cherry picking. Look, the published peer-reviewed data is clear, if you mask, vax and boost your survival is far, far better than not. There is some correlation with pro-mandate states having better outcomes. It's not perfect because no state has a 100% compliant population.

No disrespect but it seems you're the one poking holes in data to fit your bias.
You're definitely cherry picking and just throwing masks in there. You're not even quantifying it but rather making assumptions based on vaccination rates and voting.

Even with the death rates, how many of those counties are rural and have bad or inadequate healthcare systems?

Old 02-09-2022, 08:46 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
What are the maskers gonna do on wed? Back to the bunker.

Old 02-10-2022, 01:24 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What are the maskers gonna do on wed? Back to the bunker.
Wear the government-provided free N-95's that never showed up in the drug stores.

I mean that seriously. If I feel like I'm going into a high-risk environment, like a flight or public transit, I'll wear an N-95. That's for colds and the flu. I'm triple-vaxxed (and will continue to take free boosters as they are provided), so COVID isn't an issue for me. I wish what was promised would actually show up, so I could avoid the misery of these other viruses better (for free).

If I have the sniffles, I'll wear a surgical mask to protect others.

Everyone ought to be on-board with these common-sense practices. Of course they're not in line with hard-right or hard-left politics, so they won't.

Old 02-10-2022, 01:31 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Wear the government-provided free N-95's that never showed up in the drug stores.

I mean that seriously. If I feel like I'm going into a high-risk environment, like a flight or public transit, I'll wear an N-95. That's for colds and the flu. I'm triple-vaxxed (and will continue to take free boosters as they are provided), so COVID isn't an issue for me. I wish what was promised would actually show up, so I could avoid the misery of these other viruses better (for free).

If I have the sniffles, I'll wear a surgical mask to protect others.

Everyone ought to be on-board with these common-sense practices. Of course they're not in line with hard-right or hard-left politics, so they won't.
People didn't do that before so I don't see why we need to now. I don't think a plane or public transit is any worse than a crowded bar/club, sporting events, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California