Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 12:21 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Idaho had 25% more deaths than California despite having an equal number of cases per capita. You guys must be really fat, weak, and sickly up there.

It's weird that it seems like CA is the only state people say they are "exes" of. I mean, I've heard of an Ex-New Yorker, but they're usually talking about the city. I guess you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Very good keep it coming. I thoroughly enjoy these posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 01:29 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Masking and vaccination rates are the strongest factors, more important than age:
[list][*] The state with the highest death rate -- Mississippi at 3,780 deaths per million -- ranks 48th in vaccinations.[*] The state with the 2nd lowest death rate -- Vermont at only 886 deaths per million -- ranks No. 1 in vaccination rate.
And Utah is #48 and Alaska #46 and neither had strong mask mandates. We can cherry pick data all you want but the reality is a lot of factors are at play here and there no clear correlation.

If we stay in CA why is Orange County doing significantly better than LA county despite far more Trump voters and an almost non-existant mask mandate?

Old 02-08-2022, 05:03 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
None of those measures are 100% effective, no one has ever said they are. That said, there's no question that the unmasked unvaxed population has a much higher case AND death rate.

Keep in mind the mRNA vaccine was designed for the Alpha variant. The fact that the vaccines/boosters reduce death rates, but still allow mild infections, with the Delta and Omicron strains is a welcome side bonus and is a testament to how well they work.
San Diego didn't do this mask thing for the past year until recently. I'm not seeing any big variations from those that pushed the mandate hard and those areas that didn't.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:05 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Idaho pretty much skipped Covid and our numbers aren’t higher or lower then the average for states.
I wouldn't say Idaho skipped COVID, with a death rate per 100k of 266.4 (California's is at 206.) And Idaho has a very low population density.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:08 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
why is Orange County doing significantly better than LA county despite far more Trump voters and an almost non-existant mask mandate?
Wealth and better access to health care (certainly in relation to surrounding southern California counties).

Old 02-08-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wealth and better access to health care (certainly in relation to surrounding southern California counties).
Sure that's fair though lots of LA county is insanely wealthy too (and lets not forget the skums around Santa Ana in OC). It just goes to prove though particularly the mask mandates aren't really the deciding factor. OC's base per capita case rates are lower too even in many neighboring zip codes to LA county with nearly identical population density metrics.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say Idaho skipped COVID, with a death rate per 100k of 266.4 (California's is at 206.) And Idaho has a very low population density.
Check out the NYtimes map. Population density certainly mattered in the beginning but per capita case rates are almost identical across the US after 2 years. Per capita deaths vary a little more though even that's not consistent across any political or other spectrum as there are a lot of exceptions to any theory we have.

On a positive note it does seem like much of the state is repealing its mask mandate in a week though I'm pretty certain many areas will put it back during later "surges" as long as Newsom keeps his 2+ year state of emergency going and allow the county health officers to act like dicators.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:38 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
And Utah is #48 and Alaska #46 and neither had strong mask mandates. We can cherry pick data all you want but the reality is a lot of factors are at play here and there no clear correlation.
Not cherry picking. Look, the published peer-reviewed data is clear, if you mask, vax and boost your survival is far, far better than not. There is some correlation with pro-mandate states having better outcomes. It's not perfect because no state has a 100% compliant population.

No disrespect but it seems you're the one poking holes in data to fit your bias.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:54 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
I said we were average. We have no mandates or rules. Life is just normal here we don’t even talk about Covid. You should come visit maybe it’ll clear your head

Old 02-08-2022, 06:15 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I said we were average. We have no mandates or rules. Life is just normal here we don’t even talk about Covid. You should come visit maybe it’ll clear your head
Kinda hard to catch Covid when you're out in the tractor tending potatoes in the north 40. Despite the isolation, Idaho's death rate is 25% higher than urban California's -- that's nothing to crow about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California