Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 11:17 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I actually do think vaccines help. Here's a link to start but theres peer reviewed journals saying the same thing.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/u...ination-status

So the current mortality rate is about 10x higher for unvaccinated people. If your 3 years old that 10x doesn't matter and the mortality risk may be higher from the vaccine. If youre 35? It does. If youre 70 it really does. Ultimately, cases don't matter if they don't lead to long-term effects, hospitalizations, or deaths and the vaccines are helping in that regard. Once new vaccines targeting Omicron come out things might get even better than the 10x and that might pursuade you to get another booster.

The reality is I unfortunately agree a lot of things like vaccine passports actually discourage people from getting the vaccine as they're frustrating to deal with. Instead of ramming these vaccines down our throats and calling all dissenting opinions "misinformation" it probably would've been better to have a debate out in the open and simply encourage people to get them.
Well said. For the record, I got all 3 jabs and I don't believe in vaccinate passports or mandates. That said, if you really wanted to have some kind of a vaccine passport, the only way to do it would be on planes. There you could actually enforce it. It will never work in bars/restaurants/sporting events, etc because those people are not paid enough to enforce it and do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 01:19 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Well said. For the record, I got all 3 jabs and I don't believe in vaccinate passports or mandates. That said, if you really wanted to have some kind of a vaccine passport, the only way to do it would be on planes. There you could actually enforce it. It will never work in bars/restaurants/sporting events, etc because those people are not paid enough to enforce it and do not care.
True, you can't do a vaccine passport system by making it an honor system and relying on restaurant workers to review paper CDC immunization cards. On top of this, there are a lot of these fake cards out there, which we all know about.

The only proven way that this would work would be to set up a system of QR code scanners using blockchain technology. Many other countries have required the vaccines to be registered through a centralized health agency, typically managed by the government. You then have to install an app which provides proof of your vaccine(s). When you enter an establishment, you have to scan the QR code for entry. If a business does not enforce this, they can be fined.

Of course, all of this requires a centralized tracking system, substantial purchasing and distribution from the government and teeth for enforcement. Given how terrible our country has been with all of these steps, I have zero confidence this would work here. Anti maskers/vaxxers have been emboldened because they think they can get away with anything (and they're correct).

As I said before, it's a race to the bottom in our country. Hopefully, we'll actually have this elusive herd immunity, so we can put this pandemic to bed. But, if another dangerous variant pops up (or worse yet, a more infectious and deadlier pandemic), we're going to continue to be in for a world of hurt.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
True, you can't do a vaccine passport system by making it an honor system and relying on restaurant workers to review paper CDC immunization cards. On top of this, there are a lot of these fake cards out there, which we all know about.

The only proven way that this would work would be to set up a system of QR code scanners using blockchain technology. Many other countries have required the vaccines to be registered through a centralized health agency, typically managed by the government. You then have to install an app which provides proof of your vaccine(s). When you enter an establishment, you have to scan the QR code for entry. If a business does not enforce this, they can be fined.

Of course, all of this requires a centralized tracking system, substantial purchasing and distribution from the government and teeth for enforcement. Given how terrible our country has been with all of these steps, I have zero confidence this would work here. Anti maskers/vaxxers have been emboldened because they think they can get away with anything (and they're correct).

As I said before, it's a race to the bottom in our country. Hopefully, we'll actually have this elusive herd immunity, so we can put this pandemic to bed. But, if another dangerous variant pops up (or worse yet, a more infectious and deadlier pandemic), we're going to continue to be in for a world of hurt.
It might if we actually recognized natural immunity like all those other countries with those passport systems do.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It might if we actually recognized natural immunity like all those other countries with those passport systems do.
Other countries invalidate your passport if you haven't received your booster after a set period (typically 6 months). So, you'd still likely need to get some form of immunization if your COVID infection was a year or two ago.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:37 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Other countries invalidate your passport if you haven't received your booster after a set period (typically 6 months). So, you'd still likely need to get some form of immunization if your COVID infection was a year or two ago.
Besides Israel what other countries are doing that?

Old 02-16-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Besides Israel what other countries are doing that?
Several EU countries along with South Korea require this.

Israel is the only country that I'm aware of now doing this for the 4th shot.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:45 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
I agree with sav258 that we should recognize natural immunity as well. And this seems like a reasonable solution to deal with it.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I agree with sav258 that we should recognize natural immunity as well. And this seems like a reasonable solution to deal with it.
Not opposing this, but do you agree with the expiration date as other countries are doing? You'd still need to get the jab if your infection was some time ago.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:50 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times
Good Luck Everybody !

HONOR is worth more than GOLD.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:52 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Let it rip. We never got enough people to get vaccinated or wear masks or do any of the social distancing stuff to have an impact.

Only way to rid ourselves of this ugly scourge is to let people who are weak, and won't work to protect all of society, die off. Survival of the fittest. Nothing wrong with the idea.

Medical community did their very best. Time to let them rest when people don't care enough to understand what Covid can do them---especially longer term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California